Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2021, 05:12 AM   #1
mmiller924

Slide out

I have a 2020 Keystone Cougar 29BHS. Is it okay to extend the slide out while the camper is hooked to the tow vehicle?
mmiller924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:17 AM   #2
rwreuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiller924 View Post
I have a 2020 Keystone Cougar 29BHS. Is it okay to extend the slide out while the camper is hooked to the tow vehicle?
Yes, as long as you are not towing the camper.
rwreuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:23 AM   #3
mmiller924

Thanks, should I extend the stabilizer jacks before I do that?
Old 07-14-2021, 05:51 AM   #4
JDDilly

You don't have to. When we take breaks as traveling, we will put out the slides to have lunch, get something to drink or use the facilities. If we are going to make it an extended break, 2 + hours, I will lower the jacks and even start the generator.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:18 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

It depends on the type of slide mechanism you have and how "level" the trailer is.

To start, the manufacturer (we all know they don't know squat about their products) states in the owner's manual: "3. The RV must be leveled and stabilizer jacks extended." That's located on page 71 in the 2019 version of the manual... There is a long list of "do's and do not's" on that page.....

Now, the "why not"???? It's my understanding that if the trailer is not level and not stabilized, on RAM TYPE slides, as the slide moves out, the forces on the ram tubes can change and possibly bend/break the mechanism... And, on CABLE TYPE slides, the slide box is suspended in a hole in the side of the trailer. It is not "attached to the trailer" but rather "hangs in the space" and moves in/out. If the trailer is not level, it won't "hang level" and could bind on the trailer chassis and break/pull components out of the trailer wall.

"CAN YOU DO IT" ??? Yep, and very often see no issues at all.

On the other hand, you may find that the small slides are "just fine with 3" off level" but the big slide pulls the cable pulley out of the wall bracket and cuts the cable at 2" off level....

There's more (MUCH MORE) to whether you can extend a slide when hitched to the tow vehicle than "how long or how convenient it might be at a rest stop"....

Do I extend my slides without stabilizing the trailer? Yes, quite often, even when parked at home next to the house when the trailer is stored. Do I do it in a rest area, when we're on a slope and the trailer is "sort of but not quite level"? NO.... YMMV, but I've seen enough cable damage and pulley damage to suggest to me that some larger slides simply won't survive very many "off level/not stabilized extensions" and "all off level/not stabilized" conditions are different. What works for one slide in one trailer may very well destroy the slide system in a similar trailer with the pulleys installed 1/2" wider or narrower...

IMHO, following the manufacturer's recommendations might be the answer.
Then again, YMMV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:30 AM   #6
mmiller924

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 07-14-2021, 06:48 AM   #7
JDDilly

To add, I always try to be somewhat level before putting out the slides.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:49 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

We have 2 slides, one is I think 12 or 14 ft. (Couch and dinette). If the trailer is level within about 2" I'll extend the slides to acess the space. If I'm going to use the slides, i.e. walk or set in them, then it's going to be level with the stabilizers set.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out