Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2021, 04:46 AM   #1
Doubletaper

Leakage window seal. What to do?

Being a fist time owner I have a question to what should I do to correct possible damage do to a leaking window seal?
I remember someone asking, on this forum, how long will my camper last. One of the answers was 'as much money as you want to put into it. I questioned this answer but I have found, after 5 months out of warranty, the costs have begun.

Since It appears I have to do the inspection and repairs myself, at my cost, how would you experienced owners go about inspecting this. The RV dealer technician did seal the window to prevent any other leakage I'm more concerned with the damage leakage that may be a problem in the future.

A review of my problem and the cold shoulder from Keystone.

I bought this camper new so I wouldn't have to deal with someone else unseen problems and wanted a warranty. I liked the floor plan of this toy hauler, Outback 240URS, and being that Keystone has been around for a long time I expected quality and customer satisfaction as they claim. I was wrong! 5 months after the 12 month warr. expired I noticed the wallpaper beneath the table side window peeling from the wall. It was obvious this was due to a window seal leak. This leak didn't happen and show up overnight. It had to be leaking for sometime, due to rain or washing, to get soaked enough to show up. I took it to the RV dealer and the experienced qualified Technician told me the leak was caused by the foam used to seal the window did not cover the window opening correctly. He personally told me the opening was about a pinky finger diameter. I called Keystone manufacturer and the woman stood by the 12 months warr. I had sent them the work order and have not heard back from them. Evidently their words such as 'Quality and 'customer satisfaction' are just words they use in their ads and do not stand by them. It's obvious the seal opening was missed at the factory, dealership and me. It wasn't anything I or the dealer could have prevented. It was just an unseen error that the factory won't warrant just after 5 month of the original warr. Other problems I've had were Faulty wiring to the furnace, which was covered under factory warr. within a year, thread stitching coming apart on the sofa cushions, dining seat cushions sewn incorrectly, CD/DVD/Stereo system faulty which will be covered under extended warr. I'm sure not everyone has this experience and are quite satisfied with their Keystone camper. 5 months after the warranty expired due to an unseen problem that occurred in the making and getting the cold shoulder from the manufacturer is something I wouldn't want anyone to experience. (This is just a warning to other people looking for a RV through my experience)

~doubletaper
Doubletaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:46 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I am sorry you are having issues with your trailer. Window and roof leaks are something that any owner hope they never encounter and are very hard to diagnose at times.

As far as the warranty and being 5 months past the expiration and Keystone refusing to warrant it; in all honesty IMO opinion it is understandable. Like a vehicle someone buys with a 12mo. warranty and the tranny goes out 17 mos. later and they refuse to give them a new one for free (which they won't) it's just the luck of the draw for lack of a better term.

As far as a resolution for the leak, I hope the technician that inspected it and submitted it knew/saw the issue and knew what needed to be done. He should share that with you so that you can take whatever measures you think you need to. Far better than folks sitting out in "keyboard land" guessing what it is you are describing.

As far as an RV requiring money, in my experience that is a given....new OR out of warranty. On this trailer for example; before it left the lot I spent 1700 on upgraded tires and mattress. It is not quite 3 mos. out of warranty and I have spent approx. 7500 for new axles, springs, heavy duty MorRyde suspension and disc brakes....on a new trailer. Why? I felt when I bought it that the suspension was marginal and the more I towed it the more it worried me. Money; they all cost money to own.

Keystone quality? They're like every other brand of RV out there with the exception them make some of the best, best selling brands on the market. Do they have some issues from time to time? Yes they do but so does every other RV manufacturer in business today. In my experience they have done a great job of honoring their warranty within the warranty period. Outside that time frame they obviously are very reluctant to just start repairing things for free because folks think they should; or their problem should not have happened etc. From the Keystone perspective the unit has been in service for months past the warranty period and they have absolutely no idea what the trailer has been subjected to. Just some thoughts on your situation.

I hope you find the solution and get it rectified quickly without costing an arm and a leg. And going forward just remember that examining every facet of the trailer every few months needs to become a ritual.....and that separate savings account for the RV needs to keep plenty of reserves in it for all "joy" of RV ownership!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak