Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2021, 02:24 PM   #1
drew999999

Brake Inspection

Okay experts, I'm sure this is a severely stupid question but I'll ask anyway (and it's not if my truck will tow).

So I jacked up the Sprinter to pull the wheels for some new tires. I took the opportunity to inspect the suspension and grease the bearings via the EZ Lube method. While spinning one wheel, it felt like the brake was adjusted a bit too tight with a little bit of scraping sound on the drum at a certain spot. Thinking I should pull the hub and make sure everything is good.

The question is: Is it necessary to replace the seal before putting the drum back on? I'm not worried about my abilities once in there, but to be honest, I'm not sure if the seals are a 'can only seat on the spindle once' thing or if its safe to pull, inspect the brakes, then reinstall. While checking the suspension to determine why it creaks and groans so much, I found a couple of shackles that wiggled way more than I'm comfortable with. Wet bolts and shackles are already on the way.
drew999999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:35 PM   #2
bobbecky

The Dexter manual specifically says on the EZ lube axles that the seal must be replaced any time the hub is pulled. Since you have it off the ground, this is the perfect time to pull all the hubs to check the brakes. Hopefully they are all good, but you may be surprised that you could have issues. Also, did you use the exact same grease to lube the bearings as was used the previous time? If not, this could cause problems as different types of grease do not mix well. Hopefully your bearings are also OK.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:46 PM   #3
drew999999

Thanks! Now back to see if the paper tag is still on the axle to get the right seals.

I've always used Lucas Red & Tacky for all bearing. I don't think there was hardly anything from the factory when I greased when new as it took nearly half a tube for each wheel. This year it started pushing out immediately, so I'm not expecting to find the drum filled with grease.

I figured I'd use the opportunity when the tires are off for wet bolt/bushing installation to do a brake inspection. Guess I'll also get more grease and start packing them by hand once I get my feet wet.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If you’ve been using the zerk on the spindle, I hope you won’t get a nasty suprise. We won’t use them, seals are too cheap to not just pull the drum.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:40 PM   #5
ChuckS

You need to pull the hubs and use your eyes and clean and inspect the bearings, races, and brake hardware.. pumping grease into the EZ lube fitting is just a pipe dream.. you are asking for unwanted breakdowns with bearing failures, brake issues, etc...

Lucas Red & Tacky is as fine a bearing grease as any and it’s all I’ve used or will ever use..

Video from Dexter axle shows you the right way, the only way AND... you will notice the yellow spring axle nut keeper and zerk that identifies this axle as an EZ lube axle yet Dexter produced the video showing the “old school way” if doing the job properly...

https://youtu.be/GnH-h3W9XvI

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #6
drew999999

Thanks for the great advice everyone! Went and pulled the paper tag as it was barely holding on by a corner. Based on the sticker, I've got Dexter D60 axles and the hubs are Dexters stamped with 8-219. Based on those two, I was able to find the right seals fairly easy.

I agree that I don't want to see grease coated shoes, but I guess if I'm gonna find it, this is the best time.

Not sure why dropping axles is such an easy thing, but repacking bearings is a hard one for my brain to accept. I guess it goes back to the days when repacking your bearings was a driveway job to brag about. Seals, puller, and packing tool getting ordered tonight.

Thanks again all!
Old 03-09-2021, 05:43 PM   #7
bobbecky

If by chance, you do find greased brake shoes, hoping you don’t, but if you do, replacing the entire backing plate brake assembly would be the cheapest and quickest way, and many times easier to find the assemblies than all the individual parts.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:44 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
If by chance, you do find greased brake shoes, hoping you don’t, but if you do, replacing the entire backing plate brake assembly would be the cheapest and quickest way, and many times easier to find the assemblies than all the individual parts.
For sure!! And if the old ones aren’t self adjusting it would be a great time to switch.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:40 PM   #9
drew999999

Luckily it appears that I do have self adjusting brakes. Each axle had a tag with this info right next to the axle tag sticker. We’ll see how lucky I got in a couple weeks when I tear into the suspension and hubs.