Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2020, 06:16 AM   #1
Albertabound

Key tv

Out of tv range for winegard 360. How do you hook up an ota antenna that can be elevated for better coverage. Where do you hook the antenna to do a tv scan?
Albertabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:56 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Some more information would be helpful. Year and model of trailer? (most folks add this and the info on the truck in the signature).

Are you looking at a permanent install or temporary install?
Do you have a ladder mounted to the trailer? (as a possible way to install an antenna).
Are you looking for something that you can travel with or is the camper on a "permanent" site?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:23 AM   #3
Albertabound

2021 bullet 261 rbs. It would be a permanent Hook up. We are 50 miles from towers at A lake lot. Need to get antenna higher Up. Problem is where to plug it into the rv. Inputs only say sat or cable. No ladder on rv.
Albertabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:46 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If the RV is on a permanent site and you're not planning to move it regularly, I'd mount the new antenna on a post or steel mount beside the RV, run the coax through a "coax passthrough" to connect to the TV. This would completlely bypass the KEYTV system. You "could" uf you want, use the cables at the back of the KEYTV box and connect directly to the TRAILER coax system, bypassing the KEYTV box.

I would, if it's a permanent wiring system, bypass KEYTV. It's in its infancy, not yet a reliable system and subject to significant limitations and failures.

Here is a photo of one type of passthrough and a link to describe it: https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-4...a-491662267409
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COAX CABLE PASSTHROUGH.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	28858  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertabound View Post
2021 bullet 261 rbs. It would be a permanent Hook up. We are 50 miles from towers at A lake lot. Need to get antenna higher Up. Problem is where to plug it into the rv. Inputs only say sat or cable. No ladder on rv.

Albertabound, Go to your UserCP and put your trailer year/make/model & tow vehicle in your signature and these questions won't come up the next time you need help. Good luck!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertabound View Post

Lots of folks who are "cutting the cable" buy outdoor OTA antennas. These are powered. I live about 40-45 miles in hilly terrain from the transmitters in San Antonio and have a powered directional antenna on a mast pointed at the center of these transmitters. In fact I have two and on is fixed (and pointed) and the other rotates but that doesn't help much because I haven't figured out how to keep the antenna from wrapping on the mast. Best to get a phone app that shows antenna locations relative to your camper and manually point the antenna.

This is the rotating antenna I purchased and the fact that it rotates is not helpful as you have to be very close to the controller for the remote to work and still be able to watch the TV to see the antenna is pointed properly. PLEASE do not take the claims of the sellers that any of these antennas have a 150 mile range. This just can't happen and I think your 50 mile range would be close to about as far as you will be able to pick up OTA tv and a lot depends on topography.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorized-O...cAAOSwhYNd4ONP
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote