Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2019, 05:18 AM   #1
Krogenov

InCommand question

Hello everyone. My first time posting here. Last fall, we bought a 2019 Cougar Half-ton 31BHKWE so this is our first summer using it. We keep it on our family owned lake lot about 90 miles north of Minneapolis so we use it every weekend. Anyways, yesterday I went to put the awning out, and I noticed on the Display Commander that the battery voltage was showing 1.3 V and it was in red, obviously low enough voltage to be considered dead. The voltage had been fine the night before when I turned the fan on for the night. I got my digital voltage meter to see if the batteries were indeed that low on voltage. They both checked out perfect, reading 13.3 V. Fast forward to about 8 hours later and I checked again and it was back to displaying 13.3 V on the Display Commander. This is the second time in a month I've experienced this. I did check and updated the DC OS to the current version, not sure if that would affect anything. Has anybody else seen this and have an idea why this happens? Thank you!
Krogenov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:42 AM   #2
ChuckS

If you are connected to shore power 13.3 seems a tad low ... I’d have expected more like 13.6 to 13.8 I’d verify proper operation of converter

I’d also check Pin #80 on the BCM and verify red wire coming from battery to this connection point is tight... both ends...

Additionally verify the ground connection for BCM is tight at BCM and other end of ground connection.

*** Photo from ASE Jensen In Command website
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C518F33E-A6F7-40A5-8207-24368B2FFDE5.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	23149  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:11 AM   #3
Krogenov

Thank you ChuckS. What steps should I take to verify proper converter operation? I also thought there might be something with that as I have seen the DC showing up to 14.4 V at times earlier this summer. Also, I assume the BCM is the InCommand's main control module/circuit board?
Old 08-10-2019, 06:12 AM   #4
Krogenov

Ha, I just saw it in the manual, BCM=Body Control Module. I knew I had seen it somewhere.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:36 AM   #5
ChuckS

InCommand question

Yes the BCM is the main module or “guts” of the In Command system.

I’d measure the DC voltage of the converter output by disconnecting the battery leads going to converter and make measurement ... should be in range of 13.6 to 13.8 during most “normal” operations. This includes interior lights, water heater and fridge control modules, CO detector , etc.

Verify the electrolyte levels are proper in your house batteries and that connections are corrosion free and tight

Converter will easily handle normal demands

14.4 indicates to me the converter was running in “bulk or “boost” mode. This would normally only occur if batteries were really really low on charge and then would drop back to 13.8 or so once battery charge state meets minimum voltage

I’ve never seen any converter in any of my 4 trailers go over 13.8 ish.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:43 AM   #6
Krogenov

Awesome! Thank you so much for the information!
Old 08-13-2019, 04:23 AM   #7
Tommysmith

Black Water Tank not working / A-C Htg issue

Hey Folks, I'm new to the forum but have had a couple issues I wanted to share. I have a 2019 29RKS Keystone Cougar.

1. The black water flush wouldn't work, problem was the water lines were hooked up backwards on the check valve, switched them around, works great. (Check Valve is under the bathroom sink).

2. If you have the "In-Command" system, the A/C will not work if inside temp get over 100 degrees, nor the heat if inside temp gets under 40 degrees. Seems Dometic has published a Service bulletin with the issue being in their A/C unit part. Call in-command and they can send you a copy.

Hope this helps somebody.
Tommysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #8
88STAN

THANKS TOMMY S.
I have been FIGHTING with A/C in my 19' Cougar, and above 100 degrees, fan nor A/C will kick on but till I can call and find out how to fix it, I found blowing (yes, blowing) on the thermostat will get it to work....have had it 105 inside and still got it to come on in this manner....hope this will help someone else with this problem at least until a real fix can be found.
HAVE TO LOVE THESE NEW INNOVATIONS!!!!
88STAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysmith View Post
2. If you have the "In-Command" system, the A/C will not work if inside temp get over 100 degrees, nor the heat if inside temp gets under 40 degrees. Seems Dometic has published a Service bulletin with the issue being in their A/C unit part. Call in-command and they can send you a copy.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=36600