Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #1
packrat1969

Replacement/spare tires. Move from LR C to LR D?

Sorry for the cryptic acronyms in the title...

I'm looking at getting one or two of pre-mounted spare tires for my Passport for a long distance (3500mi) trip this summer and I'm wondering if I would see any benefit to moving up a Load Range. My factory tires are ST205/75R14C, but several of the replacement/spare tires I'm considering offer a D load range tire (Maxxis, Goodyear, Carlisle). I'm not looking to overload my axles, but from what I have read, there can be stability benefits with the stiffer sidewall construction in the beefier tires. Are there any foreseeable issues with mixing in a D tire with C tires? Is it an all-or nothing proposition when upping the load range?

Another thought. The factory-installed rims are all aluminum alloy, except for the current steel spare. Anyone ever hear of issues when running a single steel rim with alloys? Am I overthinking this?

I plan on installing a TPMS sometime this spring to keep an eye on my existing tires. I don't remember the brand (camper in storage), but they still have a lot of tread left on them for being made in 2016. I plan on giving them a thorough inspection and a full rotation this spring. Anyone know the proper rotation pattern for a twin-axle TT?

packrat

TT: 2017 2520RL, Twin Trojan T105s, BM-1 Compact, Xantrex SW1000, Curt Roundbar WDH

TV: Mostly stock 2016 Bluejeans F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew 5.0, 6.5' bed...
packrat1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:42 PM   #2
trucker LOU

about 3 years old (check date stamp on tires) a good time to replace all 4. price of new tires a small fraction of repairs when a tire fails. JMHO --Lou---
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:00 AM   #3
busterbrown

Lou is spot on with his advice about replacing all 4 primary tires as they may have aged themselves out of service. Your 2017 trailer was purchased in 2016 and fitted with tires that could have been made in 2015. That's a 4 year run on OEM rubber. Also, believe it or not, spare tires not actively used on axles are prone to aging just like primary tires (and possibly even more so) as oils are not properly dispersed in the rubber compounds. Tires like to spin to help combat oxidation issues that lead to premature dry rot and stiffening. So replacements of all are encouraged.

I've never read that mixing steelies with aluminum alloy wheels on your two axles will have an ill-effect on tire performance. Steel wheels are often heavier and support greater load capacities tires. Tires should be of equal size and of equal load carrying capacity. That's just sound practice. Since they are "spares", there isn't any need to match all 5 cosmetically unless that's your cup of tea. I have a steelie for my spare as my primary tires are aluminum.

As far as upsizing the OEM load range tire, I would endorse that 100%. A 205/75/14 LRC tire only provides 1760# of maximum load capacity on your 7000# GVW trailer. If you were to carry 12% of the trailer's weight on the TV's hitch, that would require the tires to support a total of 6160# (1540# for each tire). When you consider an annual degradation rate of 10% for each tire, it would take just a little more than 1 year for a 205/75/14 LRC tire to be inadequate to support the full load.

As Passports and Bullets are 1st cousins of each other, I wouldn't doubt that your OEM tires are Trailer Kings. Do a search of this forum for that brand and be prepared to read a novel.

With that said, Carlisle offers a LRD tire in that OEM size. It will offer up a much heftier 2040# of load capacity at 65 PSI. If you're willing to purchase a slightly wider tire (it should fit your 5.5-6" wide wheel), Goodyear's Endurance line offers up a 215/75/14 LRD tire with an impressive load capacity of 2205# at 65 PSI. From the 3 reputable brands I researched (Carlisle, Maxxis, Goodyear), that's the highest load capacity I could find.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...adial-trail-hd
https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-...t-radial-m8008
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

If you stepped up into a 15" wheel, an LRE tire in 225/75/15 would net a whopping 2830# of carrying capacity. That's what I did with my heavier 7600# Bullet. I also upfitted my trailer with 5200# axles and springs but that a story for another day. FWIW, my OEM tires were the same size and load range as on your Passport. IMO, there's no replacement for reserve load capacity.

Finally, you mentioned having two spares for a US continental trip. That may be a little overkill as tire service centers are in abundance across much of the US. Even Walmart sells trailer tires. If I was traveling on the Alcan Highway up through the Yukon, I'd be more inclined to have 2 spares as services are sparse. But in the US, it would just be a minor inconvenience to change the flat and have it repaired or replaced soon after. YMMV.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
Tbos

When I had my passport I upgraded to Carlisle Radial Trail HDs in load range D. Never had another problem. I also installed s TPMS. I carried a spare Carlisle on the back and another spare in the truck bed.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
Northofu1

I have a quote for $700 canadian for 5 tires all in. Also switching to Carlisle Radial Trail HDs in load range D from a load range C trailer king. Even though mine look perfect, not chancing it. As soon as I can yank it out of the snow bank. My trailer travels well, love the wide stance (the distance between axles) that my trailer has.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #6
jsmith948

The only thing that I have read about steel vs alloy wheels is the possibility of the closed ended chrome leg nuts " bottoming" on the studs before the wheel is tight due to the difference in thickness of the wheel. If that is the case, you will want to carry enough standard lug nuts for the steel wheel.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #7
Retired Copper

Upgraded my tires on the PassPort before the first year was up. From load range c to Good Year Endurance load range D. Tires are great so far. Checked the pressure just the other day and pressure was down about 2 pounds after setting since labor day. Trailer was built in Feb. 2017 original tires where produced the 33 week in 2016.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:46 PM   #8
packrat1969

Thank you all for all of the direction and constructive information. Northofu1 wan't kidding about having to "yank" his/her rig out of the snow. Mine's buried too. As soon as I can get it home safely I will start going over everything tire-related.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I probably do have Trailer King tires. That name sounds familiar. I thought I'd taken some pics of them last year, but apparently not. I do know my Passport has the wide-spaced axles. An arrangement which, while supposedly adding stability, also seems to scrub the crap out of my tires when making sharp turns (black marks on driveway). I do expect to find some wear. I will also be checking on the manufacture date.

I priced some of the LR D tires of the 3 brands busterbrown mentioned. I think it's funny that I had already targeted those 3 brands prior to the suggestion. I found prices ranging from around $70 to 120/tire. I'll have to see how the finances go before dropping $400+ on tires. Anyone have real world experience with any of those specific tires?

packrat

TT: 2017 2520RL, Twin Trojan T105s, BM-1 Compact, Xantrex SW1000, Curt Roundbar WDH

TV: Mostly stock 2016 Bluejeans F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew 5.0, 6.5' bed...
packrat1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #9
mikeymac

Yes, I got rid of the Trailer kings on my passport and put on the Goodyear Endurance D rated tires. Like them much better! When you get your Trailer Kings off set it upright and push it down. Folds in half very easy...goodyear Endurance doesn't.
mikeymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #10
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymac View Post
Yes, I got rid of the Trailer kings on my passport and put on the Goodyear Endurance D rated tires. Like them much better! When you get your Trailer Kings off set it upright and push it down. Folds in half very easy...goodyear Endurance doesn't.

This is the reason those tires might feel a little stiffer.

"Scuff Guard helps shield tire sidewall from natural wear and tear." That's a GY quote.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:01 AM   #11
librty02

I had the Trailer King 205/75/14C's on my trailer for 4 years and they were good tires as I never had an issue with them. 2 years ago I replaced them with the Carlisle Radial HD's same size same load C. They do track alot better than the trailer kings did and have the higher speed rating. I didn't go with the D's after putting close to 20k miles on the Trailer Kings and they still looked new when I had replaced them my only reason was that they were 4 years old. Load range C has served me just fine on my 7200lb GVWR trailer and most of my trips it is loaded to 7000 full water too every trip. We do about 4500 towing miles a year on average. Will I ever go to D's with this trailer probably not. Tire maintenance and proper inflation is key with any tire....Just my 2 cents
librty02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires