Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
Jcvierow

adding a screen or family room to awning?

Hi,

We have a 2018 Passport 199MLWE and would like to add a "family room" attached to the awning. But, I am really confused about which one to get. Does anyone else with this tt have a room attached to the awning? Which one do you have? Do you like it?

Jcvierow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
sconner

Please for the love of other campers. Don’t. :-) Nothing I hate worst than a camper with an outdoor tv or radio.
Now if you’re out boon-docking on your own, have at it.
sconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
Jcvierow

Ummm.. TV...Radio? I don't believe I said I wanted an outdoor TV or radio. I only asked about adding a room. You know, like a place my adult children can sleep if they camp with us since there is no room in our TT for them. Maybe a place where we can sit outside when it rains but be somewhat protected so we don't get soaked. I'm not into watching TV when I go camping. I can stay home and do that. Oh wait. No I can't since I don't have cable TV at home. Would much rather be on the lake in my kayak, on my bike, or sitting in front of a campfire with friends enjoying life together.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:42 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Just my thoughts;

You need to know your environment. I have "screens" for my awning....used them once and never again. When you are camping in various places weather has a strange way of just "happening". When that happens you need to pull that awning in.....whoops! you have all kinds of "stuff" attached to it and hanging off....now you've got 30 minutes of trying to remove the appendages before you can even leave the RV to go get breakfast......for me, I leave them in a box in the barn....don't want them.

And, Welcome to the forum!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
sconner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcvierow View Post
Ummm.. TV...Radio? I don't believe I said I wanted an outdoor TV or radio. I only asked about adding a room. You know, like a place my adult children can sleep if they camp with us since there is no room in our TT for them. Maybe a place where we can sit outside when it rains but be somewhat protected so we don't get soaked. I'm not into watching TV when I go camping. I can stay home and do that. Oh wait. No I can't since I don't have cable TV at home. Would much rather be on the lake in my kayak, on my bike, or sitting in front of a campfire with friends enjoying life together.

LOL. So sorry, miss read it. Reading quickly and instead of tt, I read tv. I have thought they would be too much work for mid west weather.

Anyway, sorry I miss read your post.
sconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

What brand of awning? Manual or electric? I will admit in all my years of camping, I haven’t seen many attached to the awning. I carry an “easy up” canopy that can be set up anywhere on the campsite.

Since electric awnings don’t do well in the wind, having to disassemble the screen room may be something you do too often to make it practical to put it up in the first place.

BTW: welcome to the forum!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
Jcvierow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconner View Post
LOL. So sorry, miss read it. Reading quickly and instead of tt, I read tv. I have thought they would be too much work for mid west weather.

Anyway, sorry I miss read your post.
No biggie. I figured it was something like that.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Had one on a previous camper with a manual awning. Took too much time and effort to install for a weekend. Current camper has a power awning and the add a room has been in the garage in a box.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:39 PM   #9
mikz86ta

I think depends on brand the availability of them. Like what brand your awning is. Dometic, Solara, Carefree, etc. I know Carefree makes them but only a select Model of their awnings have them available.
A couple where we are had one. Canvas material with roll up canvas over screened window openings. They stayed for a extended time....didnt look easy to put up and down. However with rain and windy South Florida, it held up very well. They used it with outside couches and a TV...sort of additional room while guest stayed.
I'm sure there is a tie down system.
They also adjusted the awning pitch in one side to allow water roll-off. But made the side walls look funny.

Certain enviroments they would be nice. As in able to eat outside without flies and bugs annoying you. Able to chill outside even in light rain and have a side wall up to prevent getting wet from the rain coming in. There's many advantages
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
travelin texans

Click image for larger version

Name:	0903141349.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	16688
We have these. They're called Vista Shades by Shade Pro. Not fully enclosed but make nice shade. The top portion, looks like a seam across, stays on the awning tube, the lower portion zips on & stakes out. I use the spring loaded awning tie downs plus the shades to hold the awning down & if the wind comes up I can unzip & let drop & have both awnings rolled up in about 2 minutes.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #11
Carrottop

We had one on a class A we used to own and it got used a couple of times and eventually relegated to the shed. time consuming to set up and if there is a storm that moves in you have to remove it as it will not stand up to it. We then purchased a clam screen room pops up in less than two minutes and is the best screen room we have ever owned. I would highly recommend. Here is the website for reference we purchased ours off of Amazon. Not cheap but well worth the money going on our third season with it and still like new. We also have adult children with us sometimes and they just bring a tent that they setup to sleep in and use the trailer for everything else. Works for us and them.

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/quick...m/screens.html
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:35 PM   #12
mikz86ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Attachment 16688
We have these. They're called Vista Shades by Shade Pro. Not fully enclosed but make nice shade. The top portion, looks like a seam across, stays on the awning tube, the lower portion zips on & stakes out. I use the spring loaded awning tie downs plus the shades to hold the awning down & if the wind comes up I can unzip & let drop & have both awnings rolled up in about 2 minutes.
Those look really nice. I'd like a simple screen shade for ours. Some people near us who full time leave their screen shade and tie downs up with awning out thru all weather. They have a Riverstone and not sure the awning or shade brand.
I'm nervous about awnings since we had our arm break. Luckily warranty claim took care of that Bill. A TT nearby has same Carefree awning arm that recently broke as well.
Wanted to try a screen shade and those spring tie downs
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #13
Frank G

The couple next to us installed screens on the front and sides of the awning, and left them up for there entire 60 day stay in sunny Florida this past season. There were a few adult beverages consumed within those walls. They offer a lot of privacy in a crowded environment.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning