Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2017, 01:04 AM   #1
Dwscutt

sway control bar

I have an ez-lift sway control arm on the passenger side of my 2008 33' keystone copper canyon bumper pull. I was considering putting one on the drivers side as well. any thoughts?
Dwscutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:19 AM   #2
sconner

Unless you have sway I wouldn't bother. Are you experiencing any? Or is it just precautionary?
sconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:47 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

In addition, if you do have sway, is your hitch set up correctly? Proper height, trailer "nose down attitude", tongue weight appropriate, WD bars properly tensioned?

If there's no sway, there's not much need to add extra weight and expense. If there is sway, assuring that everything already in use is working properly, then, if there's still sway, an additional "sway bar" may help, but I'd make sure it's all working properly before taking that step.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #4
Dwscutt

honestly I'm pulling with the wrong type of vehicle. I have a 2 door 1995 Tahoe. so the short wheelbase and all. I have brakes set up,airbags to handle the load, and the tension bars. I experienced crazy sway without those. now I just have a little now and then it reduced most of it. just a couple white knuckle rides makes me want to make double sure...lol
Old 10-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I hate to say this, and it's just my opinion, but a 33' travel trailer behind a 95 2 door Tahoe is going to give you problems.....and possibly catastrophe. I suspect you have more issues than sway going on.

As far as the EazLift, I assume you have the one with chains and the sway bar that attaches to a separate ball. If so, you need to upgrade if you don't upgrade the truck.....preferably the truck. I have never had much luck with that kind of setup, and, with the TV/trailer you have, you need every bit of sway control you can get.

I would strongly urge you to get a bigger TV before something happens. If you can't/won't then I would suggest you get the best hitch/sway out there. I'm not a big proponent of the mega buck hitches, but then my truck is more than enough for my TT. In this case I think, in all good conscience, I would suggest you seriously look at a Hensley hitch. Never had, nor needed, one but I think you are probably in that category.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

WOW !!! The Tahoe 2 door 4WD had a 111" wheelbase. Towing a 33' travel trailer with that short of a tow vehicle is dangerous, not only to you, but to everyone who shares the road with you. Those "couple of white knuckle events" you speak of should be a warning that you're not even close to "safe towing".... Band aid fixes aren't the answer, an adequate tow vehicle is what you need. Adding another sway control device to an "over the edge" combination isn't the prudent or safe thing to do.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwscutt View Post
I have an ez-lift sway control arm on the passenger side of my 2008 33' keystone copper canyon bumper pull. I was considering putting one on the drivers side as well. any thoughts?
Just to have accurate facts for the conversation, and to give you the best possible advice, please furnish:
  • GVWR of the trailer
  • Tongue weight of the trailer
  • GVWR of the Tahoe
  • GAWR of the Tahoe

(Manufacturer's spec is fine, we don't need precise scaled weights for this.)

If you are using a simple friction sway control that is not integral to the WD system (like the Reese Dual-Cam or similar), you're really only using a bandaid, and a small one at that. The friction sway bars are problematic in many ways, but the most important one is that it must be set to a precise tension each and every time you tow. Anything else means it is minimally effective if that.

IMHO, any travel trailer over 5,500# GVWR is a poor candidate for simple friction sway control. Get up into the 9,000# GVWR range and beyond, and it should not even be considered.

There are dozens and dozens of threads here on the topic of sway control. I would urge you to read them and learn more about the topic.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I don't think any of us want to give you advice that could actually be dangerous to you, your family, and others who share the highway with you.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #8
Dwscutt

Thanks for all the info folks. fyi I don't haul it much. 40 miles to the lake every spring and 40 miles back every fall. that's it. that's the only reason I haven't dolled out a bunch of $ for a new vehicle.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:56 PM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Which lake? Is it good for fishing? Do you have a secret honey hole? Just trying to get dibs in first as you're right down the highway from me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #10
sconner

I'm a big fan of Reese Dual Cam WD hitch for what it's worth. Never experienced any sway, quieter than the friction type and easy to hook up. A little pricey though I'll admit.
sconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:24 PM   #11
theallde

Had a Ford Expedition towing a 27' travel trailer with an Ez-Lift which gave me some sway, swapped out the Ez-Liftt for an Equalizer which made a big difference. After a year, traded the Expedition for a F250, no longer a problem towing, even with the newer 30' travel trailer.
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway control