Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
MattHelm21

Winegard “No LNB Voltage”

I have found several posts on this on various forums but not ours. I have the Winegard SK-SWM3 Trav’ler automatic dish and received the error in the title when I powered it up. It would search, report the error, and immediately stow itself again. I checked all the connections and found nothing wrong so I contacted Winegard support who has been very helpful. After an initial phone call to verify the purchase and warranty, the entire troubleshoot was done via email during the week while I would complete the steps requested when I got home from work. Here is what transpired:

1. Support requested that I check a cable which routes between the C port through the LNB arm to the LNB by replacing with an RG6 6 foot cable. Most people seem to have this problem if this error occurs. I did this and it did not resolve the problem. Had it done so, Winegard would have shipped me a replacement as the cable used in this location has a braided cover and is quite thin to make it better able to handle the elements and the necessary flexing which occurs during the alignment process.

2. After updating Winegard, they shipped me a replacement LNB which I swapped out. This also did not resolve the problem.

3. After updating Winegard again, they shipped me a complete replacement motorized turret. The biggest part of this job is getting it to the roof. Don’t ask me how I did it. I can’t remember and if I did I don’t want to admit how. Suffice it to say that my neighbors were entertained. This was the final solution and would have been the end of the story if it hadn’t gotten dark out while I was reassembling everything. I was able to get the unit to find all the satellites but my receiver would only display non HD channels.

4. One final update to Winegard and we determined I did not get the LNB arm properly aligned during reassembly. The test was to put the control unit in manual search mode on the 101 satellite, once it located and aligned itself to the satellite, all of the HD channels came in.

All’s well that ends well and we were able to leave on time for this weekend’s trip. When I get home, I have to pull the LNB arm off again and do the proper alignment so the multi sat search will work again. This was a lot of work and one option would have been to schedule an appointment with the dealer but given the time to get a service appointment, the time the trailer would have been unavailable to me, how helpful Winegard was during the process, and how I like to do as much of my own work as I can handle I think it worked out well.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

We have had to deal with "elev" issues a couple of times and have found Winegard very easy to deal with. Glad you had the same experience. You did better to,deal,with them directly.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote