Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #1
ljp

Theft Prevention

After the recent theft of our TT we are considering different ways to secure our next trailer. We park our trailer in the back yard but it must be backed in which leaves the hitch accessible. There is an opening of about 25' from the hitch to the rear end of tenants cars parked directly across from the trailer.

We have our tenants move their cars when we drive in/out with the trailer in order to maneuver easily. On the night of our recent theft a couple tenants were out of town and this allowed the thieves to hook up and drive the trailer straight out (across a neighbors driveway), over concrete parking blocks and onto the street.

There is no way to ensure this parking scenario may not occur again and we are looking at options to secure the trailer. Your thoughts/suggestions?

1. Purchasing a Proven Industries Lock Technology coupler lock.
2. Place spikes under each tire?
3. Minimize air in tires. Long term effect?
4. Drop leveling jacks.
5. Remove a tire(s).
6. Purchase motion sensing alarm for the trailer if feasible.

Will consider anything that will help and not have a negative impact on the trailer.

Thanks.....
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

1) anything that slows down the process is probably a good thing.

2) thieves will "ride on the rims" if they want it bad enough

3) probably not good on the sidewalls.

4) leveling jacks can be just snapped off as they drive away

5) remove ALL of them and it would definitely slow them down.

6) is someone going to be available 24/7 to monitor the alarm?

My personal opinion, of the options listed I would opt for tire removal.maybe
This:
http://www.autotrucktoys.com/accesso...FQ5Efgodaz0Ebg

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

#1, Spend as much as you can to get one that cannot be pried off or easy to saw off.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:27 PM   #4
cvin

thinking/hoping the proven industries locks are going to eliminate the problem or really slow things down

but i considered running big bicycle chain locks --like the kryptonite heavy ones made for bikes and motorcycles-- through my wheels if i was really somewhere i worried about it

the chains would probably damage the trailer if they tried to drive off with it though

again mainly just one more thing to slow them down
Old 06-09-2017, 02:58 AM   #5
Pull Toy

As a former LEO, my observation is this, if they want it bad enough, they're going to take it. The idea of theft prevention is to make it "EASIER" to steal someone else's stuff! The average thief wants to get in and get out. Slowing them down discourages them, as lag time is their enemy.

This being said, I would think that a top quality hitch lock should do the job. Paint it Florescent Green or Orange, so it can be seen from the street, thus discouraging them from even coming on the property for a closer look. Flat tires and jacks down will only do more damage to your property, whether the succeed in dragging it away, or not. Another thought is a surveillance camera, or even fake one. The prices are really coming down. This will also discourage unwanted visitors.

Good Luck!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:38 AM   #6
bsmith0404

A quality hitch lock and a good heavy duty cable run through all 4 wheels with a solid heavy duty cut proof padlock. Yes there is no such thing as cut proof, but some are much more difficult to cut than others. I made the mistake of putting a brinks lock on my storage shed. I lost the key, tried to cut it with my mast key (bolt cutter) and only put a little scar on it. Had to get the grinder out. As already mentioned, anything that slows people down will help prevent theft.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:01 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Our house was broken into when we lived in Louisiana. It was a frustrating experience but for us, the feeling of being violated, the emotional "buy in" that we were victims was the most difficult part to get a handle on. There were 8 or 10 houses in the neighborhood that were "hit" that same day and every one of the homeowners felt much the same, that we'd been taken advantage of, violated and somehow our security was "taken with our property"... Each of us handled the emotional component differently, but we all managed to "get over it"....

For the OP, I can understand the frustration, the feelings of being victimized and not wanting "them" to win again. So, the extraordinary measures are more an emotional crutch to make the victim feel more secure. In actuality, they don't do much to stop a thief, in all probability, one that isn't even aware there was "another trailer stolen" in the past.

Don't go overboard, don't try to make your next trailer "theft-proof". Do your part to responsibly secure your property, but don't retreat into a "bank vault mentality" trying to prevent another theft. Talk to your local sheriff or your local police chief about what works best, do that and then set upon a course of "getting the right frame of mind" about no longer being the victim.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:52 AM   #8
cardinal96ss

2 x bbsmith0404 with the very heavy chains thru the wheels recommendation with heavy locks. Doubt anyone will decide to take the time to remove and replace all wheels.
I have chain and lock from ABUS-Plus from my motorcycle.
Check out this link- https://www.abus.com/us/Home-Securit...Security-Chain
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #9
Desert185

Anything less, have insurance. Foolproof protection:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2492980...WkKhoCgG7w_wcB
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent