Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
mikell

A year in an Alpine 3640 RL

It's been just over a year we've been living in our Alpine in Michigan and so far no major problems.

They fireplace stopped a cople of days ago but I haven't had time to look into it but thats really minor. A couple of pieces of loose trim and a crack in the table all taken care of.

The best part besides all the room and storage would have to be the heat pump. It operates well even down to 30 last night. It keeps the place plenty warm and cool when needed. I didn't try it last year because it was a lot colder but I'm going to keep going as long as possible. Only issue is if i put it on AUTO it doesn't heat as well as if I put it on HP ????? Might be me but I'm watching. A fresh air intake system on it would be WONDERFUL.

Being it was delivered and han't moved since I can't comment much on that even though thats probably bigger than nearly anything else. Looking at a Kodiak or Freightliner to tow it with I can pick up a used one for a lot less than a pickup of the size thats needed.

One freeze up last winter when it was -13 and I just removed the wall in the basement and plugged some holes with silicone and some more insulation never had another problem. Dead of winter we used about 100lbs every 17 days so it was less than $ 150 a month to heat.

All in all no complaints and will hit the road with it next year about this time and see how it works out.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Ron

That's great your happy with your Alpine, we have been looking at new trailer for awhile and the Alpine 3500RE is the one that intrests us, untill I ran into the new Montan floor plan 3800RE. We like the rear entertainment and the new model has alot of closet storage in the bedroom slide. Several things that I think the Alpine has over the Montana is the bedroom closet doors are alot nicer, the kitchen stove is covered by counter top cover, the back entertainment has full length cabinets from floor to ceiling, and keyless entry seems to be some what standard on all the models we looked at. I guess the large bedroom slide really got me on the Montana so we ordered one the other day. Alpine no doubt is our second choice.

If you go the Freightliner or Kodiak route, good choice. Our Freightliner FL70 CC is a great hauler, and the main reason we bought the Larger tow vehicle is for the brakeing, and of course comfort for those long trips. We also own an F350 for a backup rig just in case the weather gets bad. The Freightliner get's just as good of mileage as the F350, and also is definetly a safer rig to drive in my opinion. Keep enjoying your Alpine and Happy travels down the road.

Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
jrhaman

We have also been living full time in our Alpine 3640 for 13 months. We have traveled from Batavia OH to Colorado to Nevada to Arizona to San Diego to Napa Valley to Vegas to the Grand Canyon to Colorado and to Kansas where we are working at Amazon.com. We have 5000 miles of traveling planned for when we leave here next month till we get to Colorado next May. We are very pleased with our unit and have had only minor problems that have been taken care of during warranty or by myself.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
mikell

It's 25 out right now and the heat pump is still working fine. The fireplace was a tripped breaker I have no idea why at this point
Old 11-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Ron

Mikell, question I am not familiar with the heat pump a/c unit in an rv, is it a heat strip or like a home ac heat pump unit. Sounds like the way to go what ever it is, beats running the furnace and using propane for sure. Glad you figured out it was the breaker on your fireplace that was tripped, it will be interesting as to why it tripped. In our new ordered trailer, it has a fireplace sure like them things. Stay warm and Happy Campin..............Ron

Old 11-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Handysam

Yes, what is this heat pump that you speak of? What does it run on to provide the heat?
Old 11-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
Exsailor

25 degrees?

Wow, I'm sitting outside smoking a fine Dominican and it's about 50. Love my Mississippi winter! But I do winter camp so I am soaking in all this winter info.

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
hsmunoz

Hi Everyone

the Heat pump is a feature on some Rooftop AC units that allows the compressor to well, run backwards, and creates heat instead of extracting heat. The Alpine has this feature as standard equipment. It is usually good to "take the chill off" and not a replacement for a furnace, but in a well insulated unit it does go along way to stretching your propane use.

I have an 2011 Alpine 3500RE and have about 4000 miles and one season in it.
ignoring the minor fit and finish stuff, like a few loose screws I have only had one real issue. The Microwave was DOA and it took 2 replacement units to fix it.

I have made some changes, and have a few more on the list, but all in all we are very happy with the value of this unit.

My only complaint is that the front Living room version of the Alpine was not available when I bought this unit. I wanted that floor plan but the wife wanted recliners, with the new layout you get both!
hsmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
gepaine

Ron,

Regarding your statement above, "We also own an F350 for a backup rig just in case the weather gets bad.", are you saying you prefer the F350 in bad weather? If so, please explain why.

Thanks.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
2011 keystone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepaine View Post
Ron,

Regarding your statement above, "We also own an F350 for a backup rig just in case the weather gets bad.", are you saying you prefer the F350 in bad weather? If so, please explain why.

Thanks.
My guess would be that the f350 is a 4x4
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
Ron

Gepaine: Just before we left for Arizona this past January I had the Fl70 fueled up, and loaded with all the goodies you usually take with on long trips but the weather was bad up here in the Northwest and of course the Fl70 doesn't have 4 wheel drive so I didn't want to hassel with all the slipping and sliding for approx 500miles off and on so that's why I take the F350 4x4. I would much rather take the Freightliner and yes I have driven it in bad weather and don't like to but we got into some bad weather a couple of times in Nevada on the way home in March.

I drive a much larger truck for my business and still don't like to drive it much on the snow and ice if I don't have to. Hope this ansewers your question. Happy Campin..............Ron

Old 11-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
Ron

Yes 2011 Keystone, I guess I could of just said that but I had to try and wear out the keys on my laptop

thanks HSMUNOZ for the info on the heat pump

Old 11-18-2011, 03:42 AM   #13
mikell

Last night it stayed steady at 30 and the heat pump worked fine. It's not as fast as the furnace but it's soooo quiet. We set it at 68 and then at 4AM it goes to 72 and when I roll out at 5 it's been 72. The heat pump has been a wonderful suprise. And it cooled with no problems either once I set the fan speed higher. It was 25 yesterday with the windchill. Here's yesterdays weather hour by hour.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KBEH.html

Heres the unit I think I have and it's supposed to heat to 30F

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...ctdataid=66936

Online spec sheet even tells what size generator you will need

http://www.dometic.com/FileOrganizer/1-international/Operation%20&%20Installation%20Manuals/Air%20Conditioners%20-%20Vehicles/Brisk-Air-HP_parts-list.pdf
Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 AM   #14
geo

Since I have a 4x4 F350, that would be my guess also.

We love our Alpine! Look forward to many years of use and many miles of travel in the US and Canada. And, yes, there have been a few minor issues, but nothing really big. And, yes, I have done and plan to do several modifications (that I have posted previously).

Today is a big day! The Flair Industries sofa was too hard, too small, and literally falling apart at the seams. It's getting donated today, and I will pick up our new FlexSteel sleeper sofa at the freight depot!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #15
gepaine

Ron,

Yes, that answered my question. Kinda obvious now that I hear it.

Thanks

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #16
mikell

Well I'm going to start a heat pump thread and see how that goes I would like to hear from other people now that it works so well
Old 11-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #17
Handysam

This heat pump is very interesting to me. I wonder why this wouldn't be offered as a option during purchase for almost all units.