Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2017, 06:24 AM   #1
mmarks1

Keystone Passport express hitch

I recently purchased a new Passport Express 239. It is a great size for a family of four. The only thing it lacks is the ability to attach a rear bike rack - at least not the bumper since it is integrated. I wanted to get thoughts on having a receiver mounted to the frame for attaching a bike rack. Having the bikes in the truck will take up nearly all the space. I also don't want to scratch up the camper trying to put four bikes inside. If the 2" tube could be welded to the frame, the extra weight between the rack and bikes would be under 250 lbs tops. Thanks!
mmarks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Keystone Passport express hitch

Welcome to the forum!!

Adding weight to the rear will affect tongue weight. That said, I personally don't see an issue with what you want to do.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
Kemp716

I've been looking into doing the same thing. I talked with my local dealer and was told they can't do it because the only correct way is to have the receiver welded to the frame and that they don't have a certified welder onsite. As I think more about it, does anyone know if doing this modification will void any warranties?

2016 Passport 2400BHWE
2017 Ram 2500 HD 6.4 4x4
Kemp716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #4
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarks1 View Post
I recently purchased a new Passport Express 239. It is a great size for a family of four. The only thing it lacks is the ability to attach a rear bike rack - at least not the bumper since it is integrated. I wanted to get thoughts on having a receiver mounted to the frame for attaching a bike rack. Having the bikes in the truck will take up nearly all the space. I also don't want to scratch up the camper trying to put four bikes inside. If the 2" tube could be welded to the frame, the extra weight between the rack and bikes would be under 250 lbs tops. Thanks!
Welding a receiver to the frame and using a quality bike rack is the only way to go. Look for a welding shop who has some experience doing this type of mod on travel trailers. Cost should be in the $400/450 range. Money well spent and you get your truck bed back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5642.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	12460  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:13 AM   #5
busterbrown

I had a welding shop fabricate and weld a receiver hitch onto the frame rails below the rear bumper of my Bullet. I paid $500 plus $160 for the class 3 hitch. Worth every penny as I know I can safely attach the family bikes for summer camping and or cargo carrier for fall deer hunts.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:47 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

You have a couple of options. 1 is wait until out of warranty and then do what you want. The frame may have a l ok nger warranty period than the Keystone 1 year warranty. 2. Do a Google search to see if any body that has done it right has had any problems with warranty after adding a hitch. Then make your decision. 3. Just go ahead and do it and if there's a problem deal with it then. While it can happen, frame issues don't come up a lot.

Others will be able to add more. Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Enjoy your new rig! Make it what you need to make it yours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #7
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Welding a receiver to the frame and using a quality bike rack is the only way to go. Look for a welding shop who has some experience doing this type of mod on travel trailers. Cost should be in the $400/450 range. Money well spent and you get your truck bed back.
That's a nice pic Where was it taken?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #8
Drydays

Express hitch..

This is my Passport, and I made and moved from the old one to this one the plate and square tube set up. It is a 1/4 " steel plate goes' all the way across the bumper saving space for the spare tire mount and clearing the hot water tank.
Also we have two adult swing down bike rack , I mounted the rack so it would allow for the tire to be removed and for space access to the hot water . I had made myself the "U" bolts to mount it to the bumper in 4 places , but you can buy these.

Previously I had a different handle but lost it and my space here on the pages, and had the photos posted.
I travel about 5,000 miles a year +- and have had no problems with weight in the back nor bumper problems.

If you wish to PM me ,I can see if I can get some more pics.
Cheers
Drydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
xrated

What about drilling and using grade 5 or grade 8 bolts?
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #10
slow

Have you considered a tongue mounted bike rack?
There are a number of versions, here is one:
https://www.racksforcars.com/Arvika/
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, keystone, passport