Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #1
bartbill

Generator/battery charger

I have a 30 amp trailer and and 2 - 2k smart tools generators. If all I want to do is charge the batteries, is it more efficient to go thru the 30 amp connection and the inverter or get a batter charger and hook directly to the batteries. Or does it make any difference.

If using a charger with the generator should the batteries be disconnected before charging.
bartbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your gen has a 30A outlet and you have the adapter to plug the shore cord into it, that would be the easiest way. BTW if your plugged in the CONVERTOR is charging the battery(s) and powering the 12V stuff in the trailer. No need to disconnect the battery(s) in either case.

CONVERTOR: takes 110VAC and makes 12VDC
INVERTOR: takes 12VDC and makes 110VAC

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:03 AM   #3
Lee

Bartbill,

I use to grab the 1k Honda and an external battery charger to charge the batteries by hooking directly to the batteries....but,.... I found out that by plugging the TT directly into the 1k Generator, the on board converter charged the batteries quicker than the stand alone charger did.

Take care,

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #4
bartbill

Yes, that is what I was curious about.

Thanks
bartbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Most "walmart style" battery chargers are a "one size fits all batteries" type of device. Most are "small chargers" so the novice user won't forget to monitor charging and either overcharge, boil off or burn up a small battery. Most converter/chargers in modern RV's are designed specifically for larger sized, deep cycle, low (or no) maintenance batteries. As such, they charge at appropriate rates to "clean the plates" as well as protect the batteries from damage from "slow charging" while effectively maintaining the battery bank in the RV.

Most WFCO converter/chargers installed in Keystone products are at least 55 amp systems. Usually 30 amps of that is dedicated to battery charging at 3 levels of charge. If the demand for the the converter output (the other 25 amps) is consumed by the "house 12 volt circuits" then the charge power is shunted from battery charging to house power.

Usually, except in very rare situations, plugging the trailer into a generator or into shore power will be the fastest, most economical and safest way to charge your batteries when dry camping. Your WFCO converter/charger will safely and efficiently charge your battery bank, usually faster than an "outboard system" and most definitely faster than a $39 WalMart automotive charger.

A 10 amp WalMart charger just can't compare with the "state of the art" converter charger installed in all Keystone RV's.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #6
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartbill View Post
I have a 30 amp trailer and and 2 - 2k smart tools generators. If all I want to do is charge the batteries, is it more efficient to go thru the 30 amp connection and the inverter or get a batter charger and hook directly to the batteries. Or does it make any difference.

If using a charger with the generator should the batteries be disconnected before charging.

Unless you have a substantial battery charger, the best way would be to use the onboard converter. The converters generally have pretty good output. In addition, the max you would need for your converter should be 20 amps... so you wouldn't need a full 30 amp hookup. You can easily manage what runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, generator