Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2016, 03:42 AM   #1
johnwally

AC question

Last weekend while camping I noticed during the hottest part of the day our ac unit would cut out. We have abrand new Keystone Bullet. The park we were at was very full not sure if that had a impact on the power getting to the camper? When it happened it would cut out for maybe 3-4 seconds. This went on for a while. The problem went away at night when it cooled down. I also unplugged it from the 30 amp on the pole and used my 50 to 30 amp adapter.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
johnwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:37 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The Brisk Air brand of air conditioners is "relatively sensitive" to voltage drops. Anything under about 105 VAC will cause the compressor to overheat. I am almost convinced that's what caused our A/C failure a couple of years ago, but I can't "prove it".... You might benefit from a simple AC voltmeter like this one. They are available at CW and almost every RV service store.

Also, remember that your Dometic digital thermostat (I think that's what you have installed in your Bullet) changes the A/C fan speed during operation. If you've got the thermostat set to "HIGH" or to "LOW" the fan will run continuously. If you have the thermostat set to "AUTO", the fan will run on "HIGH" speed until the temperature is within 4 degrees of the thermostat setting, then the fan will stop (compressor still running) and switch to the "LOW" setting. Once the thermostat setting is reached, the compressor will stop but the fan will continue to run for about 30 seconds to 60 seconds (to push the remaining cold air out of the ductwork).

This two speed operation will also "revert to high" if, while on low, the thermostat temperature rises above 4 degrees of the setting. So, it's possible to be in a "very warm environment" where on "HIGH" the A/C is lowering the temperature, then, when it's down close to the thermostat setting, the fan switches to "LOW" and the A/C can't keep up, so as the temp rises, once it hits that 4 degree mark, the fan stops momentarily, switches back to "HIGH" and the temp starts to drop again. That cycling is normal, and the A/C:thermostat" relationship is just "doing its thing" so to speak.....

The next time you encounter this, if the voltage is higher than 110 VAC (so you know it's not the campground voltage) then listen to see if you can hear the compressor still running while the fan does its "momentary stop"..... If so, nothing's wrong, that's the way it's supposed to work.

Here's a link and picture of the voltage meter I have plugged into the trailer in a "spare, easily visible" socket... https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Product...+in+volt+meter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VOLT METER.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	10799  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:38 AM   #3
bill-e

Likely it was park power. low voltage can damage your electronics. something like the Progressive Industries EMS-30 will at least tell you what's going on and in your case last weekend might have actually cut off your power because the voltage was too low.

Doesn't actually help keep your AC running but will prevent damage. Hot weather coupled with low voltage is surly going to give you issues with high current draw equipment like an AC.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not sure exactly how it was sounding but it very well might be what John was describing as far as the cycling goes. We are in FL and our main AC has a hard time keeping up. If I don't turn on the 2nd AC in the middle of the day it runs continuously. When I do turn on the 2nd ac and it can get the temps down to where I want them the main ac will run, as it gets to where it's set it goes to low, you can hear the compressor cut off and it runs momentarily then cuts off BUT depending on the temp it may cut off for a very short period and kick right back in, or, it might never cut off but go right back to high. It is a little disconcerting but it's doing its job. If it starts doing it too much I just change the temp on the thermostat.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #5
johnwally

Wow thanks for all the replys. We are going camping hopefully next weekend and i will be paying better attention to what's going on. I am also going to purchase a volt meter.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
johnwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
therink

Yes, not saying this was your problem but low peak time voltage is quite common in many campgrounds. I bought one of these and don't worry about voltage anymore. https://hughesautoformers.com/

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:46 PM   #7
Clark

JR explained it perfectly.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #8
gearhead

Mine did the same thing on last trip. It wasn't particularly hot, mid 80's. I meant to check the thermostat but never did. I have a Progressive electrical "manager" that should have kicked me off if I had low voltage. I think the A/C and thermostat were playing tag like John said.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
tgoodwin321

Thank you JR for that explanation. I've been looking for that info since our trip last week. Thought we had a new issue after our dometic unit was replaced last month for a failed compressor.
Life rich but $$broke as a joke!
tgoodwin321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #10
tgoodwin321

Thank you JR for that explanation. I've been looking for that info since our trip last week. Thought we had a new issue after our dometic unit was replaced last month for a failed compressor.
Life rich but $$broke as a joke!
tgoodwin321 is offline   Reply With Quote