Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
chuckretnav

Smile Washinton D.C.

hello, planning on going to the Cherry Blossom Festival for 2012. Late March and early April. 2012 marks 100 years ago Japan gave the Cherry trees to Washington D.C. I have two campgrounds Im thinking of staying at. First is the Cherry Hill campground just off the beltway of DC. The other is a KOA a little farther north but still south of Baltimore. Has anyone ever stayed at either place or have done any trips to Washington D.C. anytime with a RV. Live in Indiana and plan to make it a two day run to DC and stay 5 to 7 days. Thanks for any info. Happy Camping to everyone
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
KO4A

Cherry Hills has transportation service to the DC METRO.
KOA is close to the Odenton Train station but runs are to Penn station where you then move over to DC METRO. Trains are not as frequent as METRO.
There is a lot more to see but not in just 7 days. Annapolis, US Naval Academy; Baltimore, Chesapeake Bay for a few.
I would suggest Cherry Hills. I live in the area so have not stayed there but all that have recommend it but commented their price is high. But that is expected for DC area.
Hope this helps.
God Bless America and God Bless our Troops[/CENTER]
KO4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
cumminsdad08

i stayed at a campground, Duncan's Family Campground (http://www.duncansfamilycampground.com/). it was extreamly nice. very friendly. they had something going on everyday at some point. we mainly went for DC, but realized we would have had much more fun at the campground. the pool was nice and the playground was nice. i can't remember if we had cable, but there was internet access. a lot of the sites were substantial for parking most RV's. we probaly got the smallest site, but my wife wanted to be close to the cabin our friends were staying in. it still worked and i ended up asking the guy behind me if i could park my truck behind his class C. the website doesn't do the campground justice. we will most defently be returning, but not for DC.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
chuckretnav

Smile Washington DC

Thanks for the info guys. Will check out that Dungan campground as well. John the KOA said they had a shuttle also. Your right about the prices. But like you said its Washington LOL I use to drive 18 wheeler taking trade show into Washington and could see the hooker one block behind me while I waited to off load LOL that our Capitol
Old 08-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
cumminsdad08

FYI, duncans also ran a shuttle. we didn't use it because of our kids being so little. when they are done, they are done, if you know what i mean.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Old 08-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
heatkits

Cherry Hill Park

We stayed there a couple of years ago and had a wonderful time. Well, sort of, first spot was a "back in" the rear wheels were up against the site curb and the tongue was out in the road by 3' and the truck had to be parked in the overflow lot. The second spot was a pull through (an extra $12/ night), ahhh, much better, love the "crusher run" gravel, the DW tripped on the rocks, twisted her ankle and ruined her walking for the next week. However, life was good once I turned all the rocks so the flat side was up. That was until the two big "A" pulled in on each side of me. I had to retract my awning so his slide wouldn't hit it and the same for the guy on the other side, we were just one big happy family sort-a-speak ...

The park had cable, but not on our sites. But, no to worry we got 47 channels (most in HD) with antenna down.

The only real down side was; the (3) TV new choppers sat right overhead every morning doing the traffic report (the park is close to the intersection of 495 & the Baltimore parkway. The other negative was the Metro busses would park at the stop inside the CG, which just a few yards from our elite spots at 4:30 AM waiting to start their run at 5. At least we didn't have to walk far to catch our bus.
We're planning a trip back in the feature to see the stuff we missed and Cherry Hill Park will be our choice
No disrespect meant... but are you sure you want to be there during the 100th Cherry Blossom Festival? There will be millions there, it's going to be an absolute zoo.
heatkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
cumminsdad08

boy i need to camp with you. i bet you always make lemonade out of lemons don't ya.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Old 08-19-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
chuckretnav

Smile Cherry Hill

Thank You everyone for your suggestions about the trip to Washington DC. So hopefully we will survive the crowds and etc. Happy Camping to everyone.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
muddynoll

Cherry Hill Park

We stayed at Cherry Hill In June this year for our DC Trip. We felt it was one of the nicest campgrounds we've stayed at. The staff was very friendly and helpful ang gave us tips to save money on the shuttle.We met some very nice people there.We will deffinately stay there on our next trip.
muddynoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
salopez

try ramblin pines in woodbine md. they are 40 mins to dc, balt, harpers ferry, and only 20 min to frederick. nice and quiet.
salopez is offline   Reply With Quote