Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #1
planesnut

31bhpr electric H2O element

Any one tell me where I can access the heating element on my Bullet?
Somehow we turned the switch on with the tank empty and the poor thing is now inop. Can you also tell me what the light is for in the middle of the switch panel? It has never come on. The propane side works fine, just like to have the ability to use either.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
bobbecky

The electric element is gone, so you have to remove the cover from your water heater. It will be a metal cover, usually with a couple of spring loaded tabs that you pull out a bit and turn inline with the slot in the cover. Then, you can identify the brand and model that you have. Before touching anything, make sure there is no power at the heater, by switching off the breaker and panel switch. The Suburban units use a screw in heating element, that has two terminals. This is covered by a black plastic cover, and you may have to remove a gas line to access the cover. I found it very helpful to spend the few dollars to get the socket/wrench that you use with a screwdriver to remove the element. The element has a rubber gasket that is between the element flange and the housing. Whatever the brand and model, download the manual for your specific heater from the manufacturer's web site.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:21 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

On the outside of your RV, open the water heater door, you'll find something that looks like this picture. Unfortunately, the only picture I could find identifies "everything but" the electric heater element. You'll find it in this picture, under the black plastic cover, located between the "Drain Plug" (anode rod) and the "Switch For Electric Element" which are clearly marked in this picture.

You don't need to go to an RV repair shop to find a replacement element. You'll pay far too much there. Just take out the old element, go to any hardware store or Lowe's/HD, and get a 1500 Watt 110 VAC element that is the same size. (The Suburban element is rated at 1440 watts/120 VAC). Don't forget the Teflon tape to seal the threads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WATER HEATER COMPONENTS.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	9900  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote