Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #1
FRANANDTOMMY

Dry weight of travel trailer

was told by a loan officer at our bank, that we may have the incorrect vehicle pulling our 29 ft. Laredo per insurance regulations. not sure what the dry weight is- but we are pulling with a 2007 F150. We have air bags and use stabilizers.
and it pulls great.
FRANANDTOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

A couple of points. As a state trooper I was trained and did check weight of vehicles. I seen overloaded pickups pulling and carrying more weight than they were made for, along with other vehicles. Many people are pulling overweight. Is that wrong and unsafe, yes. Does it always end in major crashes and broken trucks, sometimes.
All vehicles have weight ratings. You should check yours and have them weighted at a scale. They use letters like GVWR, payload, CGVWR. And the tires have ratings also. Most 1/2 tons come with soft ride tires not made for carrying a heavy load but, you can get better load carrying tires.
This sounds like the loan co. has looked at what your truck is designed to pull and carry and the trailer and found that it is more than what ford says it should pull or carry. If that is the case they just trying to insure a safe truck/trailer combo.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
notanlines

Tommy, you really haven't given the specific info needed to answer your question. At the very best (2 door, big engine) you are on the edge, at the worst (4 door little engine) you are way out. In the real world bags are nice to have, but they don't make an F250 out of your 150. They don't even make an F175. How about going to a local CAT scale and remove all doubt?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANANDTOMMY View Post
was told by a loan officer at our bank, that we may have the incorrect vehicle pulling our 29 ft. Laredo per insurance regulations. not sure what the dry weight is- but we are pulling with a 2007 F150. We have air bags and use stabilizers.
and it pulls great.
FRANANDTOMMY -
If it were me, I'd want to know what criteria your insurance company uses to determine whether or not your TV is "incorrect" for your TT. Did the bank officer explain to you why the F150 may not be suitable? Did he/she suggest what tow vehicles would be acceptable/correct? If you are involved in an accident, will your insurance company still cover you since there is some doubt about the capability of your present tow vehicle?

Knowing the dry weight of your RV really isn't all that important a factor in determining what you are able to safely tow. The sticker inside your truck door will provide you with some basic weight information that will, in the end, determine what you can safely tow. I would also take your truck and RV to a weigh station and get it weighed so you have some kind of verifiable information to present to the loan officer and insurance company.

I also note that the loan officer said that you "may have the incorrect vehicle" as opposed to that you "do" have the incorrect vehicle. There appears to be some doubt on his part which needs to be clarified.

You should also be aware that having air bags and stabilizers on your F150 do not increase the towing capability of the truck. They may help smooth the ride and make it more "level" but do nothing to increase its payload.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANANDTOMMY View Post
and it pulls great.
It sounds like the loan officer has some knowledge of RVing and recognized a possible problem. He may also know of some issues with a specific insurance company (possibly yours) not paying for a loss because the insured violated weight ratings and was a contributor in the accident (per the insurance company's investigation).

He, as the loan officer, is responsible to secure the bank's investment in the loan. If he identified a possible problem that may cause the bank to lose money in the event of a loss, it's his responsibility to protect the bank (as well as you).

If you're in the least bit unsure of your tow vehicle weight ratings, tow limitation ratings and the "real world" weights of your Laredo, it may be in your best interest to "heed the caution" of the loan officer and, as stated above, go to a CAT scale in your local area, weigh your rig and put any questions about being overloaded onto the scale so you know for sure.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #6
GaryWT

I find this interesting. If you have used the truck to pull the trailer already, what are you getting a loan on? Also, I have never had a loan officer ask if we would be towing or what we are towing with when filling out paperwork.

That aside, as others have said, you may or may not. I am not up on weights of your trailer but I would be more concerned with loaded weight than dry weight. Also what are the payload and tow capacity of the truck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
I find this interesting. If you have used the truck to pull the trailer already, what are you getting a loan on? Also, I have never had a loan officer ask if we would be towing or what we are towing with when filling out paperwork.
I found this interesting as well. Maybe this is some sort of "post" check...though not sure what that would be worth. The reality is, pre or post check, once they have handed over the money, you could sell your truck and buy something different...use a friends truck...the list goes on.

Maybe the guy was just making an observation.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
bsmith0404

Why the OP is talking to a loan officer isn't really our business or concern, I've refinanced several vehicles for various reasons...just my opinion.

My guess is the bank has dealt with an insurance claim in the past and now have basic guidelines that they use to determine if someone May be in danger of a possible denied insurance claim. Obviously there are many different options that change the weights on both the tow vehicle and the TT so the bank cannot know for sure.....unless you're planning to hook up a 15k lb 5th wheel to your F150, then I could tell you without a doubt

As already mentioned several times, hit the scales and find out for yourself. Look at your door sticker, check your GVWR, GCVWR, tire ratings, and axle ratings. Then you will know for sure if you are safe, on the edge, or an accident waiting to happen.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote