Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
CdnCopper

Bent eavestroughs

Morning

Took our trailer out this weekend to a relatively new campsite. Upon taking a left turn around a bend I felt a small tug on the truck and stopped immediately - ended up finding that a pesky tree had a nice bow to it and it hit the very top edge of my trailer, crimping the steel eavestroughs. Luckily no other damage though. (Except I could easily tell I wasn't the first one to do this so I made a trip to the head office right away and the tree was subsequently falled).

Anyway - has anyone ever had this accident happen and had to "uncrimp" the eavestrough. I was thinking of take a wooden wedge, and tap it with a hammer down the trough itself to widen it out again. This seems like the easiest way and hopefully shouldn't damage it.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

CdnCopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
therink

Can you get a regular pair of vice grips or needle nose vice grips on it and gently pull it out? I wouldn't put much force with a hammer and wedge as it may pull the screws out or break the caulking bead.
I believe the gutters are painted aluminum and not very forgiving to bend movements.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
CdnCopper

Not sure how flexible it is - but I see your point. To clarify I am not going to run the wedge vertically (ie, perpendicular) to the trough, but rather horizontally (parallel) to the trough.

I feel that if I use vicegrips I will get a very inconsistent gap. But I will try both to see how they work. I will keep you posted

CdnCopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
therink

I was just thinking, for what it's worth the replacement gutter material is not expensive. A section of gutter, tube of dicor lap sealant and an hour, you should be good to go.
Due to the length of the gutter stick, you would likely be better buying a piece at an rv dealer. The packaging requirements and freight would be costly. My guess is that is comes in 10 to 12 foot sections as my fiver gutter has two seams (3 pieces) installed and fused with caulk.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote