Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
TheRealMacGyver

Roof A/C dripping inside! Any advise?

Just returned from 4 days camping and a small drip started day 2. Bought my 2015 238MLS in December 2014. After realizing the A/C was not getting cold enough I took it back to dealer and they replaced the unit. I had some additional warranty issues, but they had it for 4 weeks to repair. Now I have this drip and while I know it is covered, I am hesitant to bring it back. Today when I was packing up and turned off the A/C, it dumped a bunch of water on the floor. It is coming from the return filter and appears the catch tray area is not working. I had a steady drip and wet spot from the roof gutter the whole time. I still think it isn't cold enough, but I like it cold! It is comfortable, but we kept it on high/max the entire time. Any idea of what I should look for?
TheRealMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
bobbecky

Sounds like condensate water dripping. Possibly, the drain holes are plugged. If you can get on the roof, remove the A/C cover and look for the place on each side that the water is supposed to drain from, and check that they aren't plugged. If they are, clean them.
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:24 AM   #3
rjsurfer

Take the AC cover off and inspect the 4 long bolts that hold the AC in place they could be loose. Their job is to force the AC unit down and compress the thick gasket that prevents such a leak.

Tighten them down if loose but keep an eye on the gasket and make sure your not compressing it too much. You can see it if you look carefully.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:46 AM   #4
TheRealMacGyver

Thank you, I'll check those things. It was definitely condensation off the coil, because we had no rain.
TheRealMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

As far as cooling; are you in FL? If so it just may be the humidity and heat. We are in Panacea (panhandle big bend). We have a 15k main AC and a 13.5 secondary. We leave the 15k on all the time and turn on the 13.5 around 2pm when it really heats up. The 15k cycles on and off all night set at 73 and does a good job. After about 10am we set it to 75 but it wants to run most of the time and starts kicking on and off so we turn on the 2nd unit. Temps have been 88-93; not hot compared to where I come from but the humidity!! Shee, we start sweating just thinking about getting outside when it's steaming! Guess there's something to be said for dry desert air even if it's 100 degrees (We are in a Cougar High Country 319rls; 37' ball to bumper).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:36 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

As sourdough said, Florida heat/humidity is tough to stay ahead of with the single A/C in most RV's. The Passport has R7 walls, R11 floor/ceiling, so if you're in the sun during the day, the "heat soak" through the walls will make it almost impossible for a 13,500 BTU A/C to keep you cool. Even a 15K BTU unit would have problems staying ahead of 100% humidity and 90F temps. Fortunately you've got a relatively small RV, if you were in a 30' unit with the same A/C, you'd likely be considering a night in a motel to get cooled down.

Some things you can do to help your A/C:

1. Park in the shade if possible, especially the evening sun when it's so hot.
2. Use reflective covers on the windows to help prevent the sun's heat from entering the RV.
3. Use your awning to shade the side of the RV (don't leave it extended if you're not going to be around).
4. If allowed, consider a sprinkler on the roof of your RV. The water will help cool the roof when it evaporates. Don't do this in a campground unless you know they will not complain.
5. Start your A/C early in the morning on the coolest setting and on HIGH. Don't turn it down, open the top cupboards to allow the cool air to reach the top of the sidewalls. Minimize opening outside doors and windows and use the bathroom exhaust fan if you must shower during the day. (try to use the campground showers if possible).
6. Cook outside, don't turn on the stovetop burners or oven. Remember that you've got a 13,500 BTU A/C and one stovetop burner produces 6000 BTU's of heat, so it's easy to overpower the A/C by just boiling a pot of water.
7. Plan outside activities in the "heat of the afternoon" so you won't be faced with a "too warm" cabin that you're stuck in. Swimming, museums, amusement parks, theaters all are alternatives to "sitting and sweating".

Good Luck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Take the AC cover off and inspect the 4 long bolts that hold the AC in place they could be loose. Their job is to force the AC unit down and compress the thick gasket that prevents such a leak.

Tighten them down if loose but keep an eye on the gasket and make sure your not compressing it too much. You can see it if you look carefully.

Ron W.
On edit I noticed I said take off the AC cover, I meant to say the inside cover.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote