Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #1
ancha71

Cougar 337WLS 5th Wheel Feedback

I am upgrading from a TT and am looking for user feedback on the Cougar 337FLS 5th Wheel. DW wants the unit to have a front living room and this is one of 3 RV's I could locate that will accommodate her wish. I looked over a 337FLS High Country this morning and was duly impressed with the features and craftsmanship. My tow vehicle is a 2014 Ford F250SD 6.7L diesel so I'm pretty sure I can pull this RV w/o issue. I'm looking at the PullRite 2700 ISR SuperGlide for a hitch.
ancha71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
larry337

We just picked up ours 2 mos ago but have not used it yet. We love it so far. If you looked at a High Country you should know that package is no longer offered. They now come standard with most of the High Country features but not all. They made the 4 door 12 CF refrigerator standard. But there are some options in the HC package that they now leave out, like the weber grill, keyless entry, and the maxx fan in the ceiling. For us the larger fridge was worth the trade off. I also have an F250 and it pulled fine on the 4 hour drive home. But the 337 does have a higher pin weight compared to the other Cougars at 2200 lbs. So your probably maxed on payload by the time you load the truck and camper. My next truck will be an F350 for the extra payload cushion but it'll work for now. As for a hitch I put in a B&W Patriot non slider. $400 on Amazon and $170 for the universal reese rails. Installed it myself. All my research said I didn't need a slider so I saved the money. We'll see if I end up regretting that but so far so good. My driveway is a very tight entrance and I got in. I can't see anything tighter then that in my future. Cougar is well established and has been successful so you're making a good choice at that price range IMHO. It is the least expensive front living room I could find except for the Sprinter. But I felt the Sprinter was too entry level for my taste. The Cougar has a high end feel without some of the goodies, weight, and higher price tag. They were a decent entry/mid level fiver before and have really stepped up their game in the last couple years getting closer to high end. My friends have a 2013 Cougar and ours has several features that they don't have including 50 amp service and 4 point auto leveling. If you have any specific questions let me now, its parked right outside my door.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
ancha71

337FLS Feedback

Larry, Thank you for the great feedback. That 337FLS looks mighty sweet attached to your F250. The unit I'm looking at comes with a standard reefer. I'm wondering if it's possible to retrofit it with the larger one? I'll talk with my salesrep at the dealer and see what the price difference would be for one from the factory. I really don't care that it wouldn't have that cheap grill or key-less entry. I also looked at the Sprinter and came to the exact same conclusion you did and shared the same view of the 337FLS. I may post another thread about the pin weight/tow hauling requirements with the F250. I like to have plenty of safety built into the equation. Looks like a little more research is due. Great feedback! I hope you enjoy your 337 next summer unless you're able to camp up there in Ohio this time of the year.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancha71 View Post
Larry, Thank you for the great feedback. That 337FLS looks mighty sweet attached to your F250. The unit I'm looking at comes with a standard reefer. I'm wondering if it's possible to retrofit it with the larger one? I'll talk with my salesrep at the dealer and see what the price difference would be for one from the factory. I really don't care that it wouldn't have that cheap grill or key-less entry. I also looked at the Sprinter and came to the exact same conclusion you did and shared the same view of the 337FLS. I may post another thread about the pin weight/tow hauling requirements with the F250. I like to have plenty of safety built into the equation. Looks like a little more research is due. Great feedback! I hope you enjoy your 337 next summer unless you're able to camp up there in Ohio this time of the year.
It's currently -1 outside so no camping right now! But we are going to Florida in a couple weeks. I think you'll find that not only the Ford but with all 3/4 tons people tow anything they want and say its pulls fine. It's fairly common to see big toy haulers with 3500 lb pin weights behind them. While I don't agree with that I think we're fine with the 337. With a dry weight of 9900 we're well under max GCVWR and max tow rating. A couple hundred extra pounds on the bed isn't going to hurt anything. When you get the larger fridge they flip it around with the pantry and the counter in between is smaller so that would be a major retro fit. The only thing I miss from the HC package is the maxx fan but I will be installing those myself. There are ceiling vents in the bedroom and living room and both openings have power right there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	7880  

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 02-15-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Depending on what truck configuration you have some of the numbers vary but your payload will be the issue. The trailer is well below the max tow for the truck and you should be well below the GCVWR. Your payload will probably be an issue as larry337 said in his first post. Your truck will weigh 7100-7400lbs depending on trim level. Hitch will be at least 100lbs = 7500. Pin weight will be 2165 dry so figure 2500 conservatively. You have now hit your gvw for the truck (10000lbs). You don't have people, equipment, doggies, bbq etc etc. The truck will pull the trailer just fine; the 250 just doesn't have the payload capacity for a large pin weight. Please keep that in mind when you want to throw everything in plus the kitchen sink.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:21 AM   #6
TAZ23

ancha71, from where you are located I think you most likely looked at the 337fls at Van Boxtel RV in Green Bay. (they have the single Fridge model in stock) But there is another Cougar dealer about the same distance away from you in Chippewa Falls, and they have the newer version 337fls in stock. I have bought a trailer from both of these dealers and they are very competitive price wise and offer good service after the sale. The newer versions have the double fridge and larger pantry. Good luck and happy trailer hunting, and welome to the forum.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:11 AM   #7
JohnD

337 feedback

I also have not had the opportunity to camp in my 337 as yet. I too have the updated floorplan and really like the larger fridge. I also had the maxx air fans installed and waiting for the dealer to get back to me on adding the keyless. The 4 point leveling is great, so much more sturdy than I expected. Only 56 days till our shakedown weekend.....come on spring!
2012 Heartland North Trail
2015 Keystone Cougar 337fls
2021 Keystone Montana 3763BP
JohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
ancha71

Sourdough, Thanks for the numbers. Will take into consideration. Glad I lost all that weight this fall and winter!
Old 02-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #9
ancha71

Taz, Two miles difference between my house and these two dealers. Yes, I agree, both dealers are competitive. The dealer in Chippewa Falls has the newer version with the bigger reefer for the same price. Although, I really like the color scheme of the HC like Larry has in his picture. Great feedback from all. Thank you very much.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #10
ancha71

John, Amen to spring! We'll be -20 by Wednesday morning!! All week below zero. I'm looking at three months before I can get out camping. Power fans are a must. don't know why they aren't standard. Please post what the Keyless will cost.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #11
larry337

Mine is not a high country. I have the newest version. That's the standard paint.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 02-17-2015, 12:41 AM   #12
TAZ23

As larry337 said that is the standard colors of the newest Cougars. When Keystone quit offering the H.C. package the clay medallion colors became standard build. We bought a new 2015 Cougar last fall that has the new colors and it is not a H.C. The one in Chippewa Falls has the new colors but taking pictures in a garage as opposed to outside does not show up well.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #13
ancha71

I love the color. I'm taking a trip over to Chippewa Falls this Saturday to look at it. The dealer made me an acceptable offer for my TT and an equally fair quote for the 337. Will try to negotiate for free power fans.
This Keystone Users Group is awesome! I'm psyched to hit the road!
Old 02-18-2015, 02:40 PM   #14
TAZ23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancha71 View Post
I love the color. I'm taking a trip over to Chippewa Falls this Saturday to look at it. The dealer made me an acceptable offer for my TT and an equally fair quote for the 337. Will try to negotiate for free power fans.
This Keystone Users Group is awesome! I'm psyched to hit the road!
Yeah they are awesome looking and that's a cool floor plan. Good luck on your trip to Chippewa Falls, I hope it all works out for you. Let us know what happens.