Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
sjturbo

Need New Thermostat

I need to replace my Coleman "Mach" thermostat but I'm not sure which one to get. It is a combination heat/ac. I would like to upgrade to digital but would like to keep my option of fan high/low. Has any one replaced this unit and if so with what and is the wiring different?
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
TAZ23

I switched the thermostat on our Outback to a digital one, It was also a Coleman. I called our dealer and had him find the right one for our unit. I figured seeing there are so many options in the catalog he could figure out which one we needed faster than I could. The wiring was all the same so we had all our functions with the new thermostat. The new one was the Coleman digital version.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
pjhansman

I took the easy way out and simply upgraded to the Coleman Mach digital thermostat.

Certainly not the cheapest option but identical wiring, keeps the fan high/low selection, and keeps the temperature pretty much with 1/2 degree of the setting.

Phil
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
Richard6959

I may have a thermostat problem on our 2014 Laredo TT. It gets frigid cold before the thermostat shuts down the A/C. THen it gets stuffy hot sometimes before it will come back on. We are constantly bumping the temperature selector one way or the other to get the A/C to respond. The temp range is easily 15-20 degrees sometimes.

Is this normal?

I think a digital thermostat may be more accurate. At least we will know exactly where we adjust it to.
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
therink

I bought a $30 programmable digital thermostat from Lowes and it works excellent. There is only a one degree swing before it turns on the furnace or AC. No more cold/hot swings between cycles.
I only use Hi fan on the AC so don't care about losing the low fan option. Others have installed a separate toggle switch on the side of the thermostat to regain the low fan capability.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Previously, members have replaced their non-digital OEM thermostat with a Hunter programmable, digital model which was available at Walmart for around $25. If you do a forum search (type in "Hunter thermostat), you'll find out more information about this thermostat and what other members have done in previous years regarding replacing it.

Keep in mind that many of these threads are 2-3 years old and the models that are talked about in the threads may no longer be available.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #7
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard6959 View Post
I may have a thermostat problem on our 2014 Laredo TT. It gets frigid cold before the thermostat shuts down the A/C. THen it gets stuffy hot sometimes before it will come back on. We are constantly bumping the temperature selector one way or the other to get the A/C to respond. The temp range is easily 15-20 degrees sometimes.

Is this normal?

I think a digital thermostat may be more accurate. At least we will know exactly where we adjust it to.
Sounds like the temperature swing / heat anticipator may be set too high. This article talks about it in reference to heat, but older, manual thermostats use the same principle for determining temp range when running the air conditioner.
http://homerepair.about.com/od/heati...nticipator.htm I've also seen where the mercury activated switch gets sticky (because of age, corrosion, and such), but since yours is a 2014, I doubt that's the problem.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote