Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
smarkley18

Antennas...

So we bought a new 2014 30RIPR, wondering about the crank up antenna
on these trailers. How's the reception with these. Our first camping trip is a week away. I was looking at the JACK Digital HDTV Antenna. They look pretty nice. Any advice would be mucho appreciated...

Steve/Teresa, Bailey(the doodle),Mattie and Kate(the Poms)
2014 Keystone Premier 30RIPR
2003 Ford Supercrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (17).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	6095  
smarkley18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
f6bits

I live in the land of broadcast stations, so it's easy for me to pick up local HD stations.

People with the crank up have had luck with adding a Wingman.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-wingman/44021

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:30 AM   #3
filmtex
Permanent User Ban

We added a wingman to our Bullet a year ago and have been able to almost double the stations we receive. Most of the stations are ~45 miles away and were intermittent at best. Absolutely the best money we spent last year...not counting the coach! I highly recommend this RabbitEars as a great starting place. We also have cut the cable at home and installed an http://www.homeantenna.org/omni-dire...na-hd8008.html. Jack at home antennas is fantastic-great prices and customer service. Highly recommended. Enjoy...
filmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
kguess

I have the one that came on our keystone, only two trips so far and not too far from " city lights" but good reception and selection of channels, at least for me- not a big tv fan.
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

In my experience the Jack is a little better than the standard batwing with the WingMan added and is much more forgiving with aiming precision on UHF channels. I would recommend the replacement model that goes on your mast ... it gives more hight when raised.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
Pmedic4

Best Antenna for RV

Our current RV came with the standard Winegard, and we didn't get decent reception at our favorite campground, but the TT we traded in got good reception at our favorite campground. I debated about adding the wingman, or just going to a Jack, as a replacement antenna, and chose the Jack. It didn't really improve reception at all over the Winegard, and the sister-in-law added the wingman to her Winegard, and it also didn't help.
Just looking around for better antenna's, found this "Homemade" model, and thought, what the heck it was worth a shot. The example uses coat hanger wire, and I happened to have piece of plastic the right length, and some copper wire the right length laying around, so I made this model in this image. It weighs about 1/3 of a pound, and fits easily into the basement storage with 20' of coax. The best part is that is reception is great. I just connect to the external antenna coax, and then hang it on the side of the RV, or if I really want to reach a weak signal, I hang it on the existing antenna(cranked up), and then can rotate it too.
Little more work to hook up, but reception is so much better. Using copper wire, it's bends easy, but you can quickly bend it back into shape. Look for the plans online if your interested!

By the way, I do use a antenna amplifier with it.
Attached Images

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
smarkley18

Antenna

thanks everyone... After a lot of reading different reviews from everyone who have purchased different antennas I decided to go with a wingman.. Hope it works out.
6 days to our 1st outing with the new rig!!

Steve/Teresa
2014 Keystone 30RIPR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (17).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	6103  
smarkley18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
trackstand

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkley18 View Post
thanks everyone... After a lot of reading different reviews from everyone who have purchased different antennas I decided to go with a wingman.. Hope it works out.
6 days to our 1st outing with the new rig!!

Steve/Teresa
2014 Keystone 30RIPR
Looking forward to Your review. Mine needs some help to.

2013 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 CC LB Hemi

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
trackstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
Our current RV came with the standard Winegard, and we didn't get decent reception at our favorite campground, but the TT we traded in got good reception at our favorite campground. I debated about adding the wingman, or just going to a Jack, as a replacement antenna, and chose the Jack. It didn't really improve reception at all over the Winegard, and the sister-in-law added the wingman to her Winegard, and it also didn't help.
Just looking around for better antenna's, found this "Homemade" model, and thought, what the heck it was worth a shot. The example uses coat hanger wire, and I happened to have piece of plastic the right length, and some copper wire the right length laying around, so I made this model in this image. It weighs about 1/3 of a pound, and fits easily into the basement storage with 20' of coax. The best part is that is reception is great. I just connect to the external antenna coax, and then hang it on the side of the RV, or if I really want to reach a weak signal, I hang it on the existing antenna(cranked up), and then can rotate it too.
Little more work to hook up, but reception is so much better. Using copper wire, it's bends easy, but you can quickly bend it back into shape. Look for the plans online if your interested!

By the way, I do use a antenna amplifier with it.
Looks familiar bow-tie antennas have been around for a long time.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
trackstand

Anyone using one of these?

http://www.winegard.com/rayzar/rayzar-air.php

2013 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 CC LB Hemi

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
trackstand is offline   Reply With Quote