Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2022, 03:52 PM   #1
tdav059

New Member Hideout 177rd

Hello Gang, just joined the RV life. Myself and my wife are looking for pictures that anyone is willing to share …Springdale 1750rd / Hideout 177rd ideas, upgrades, etc.

Thanks gang…looking forward to RV life and helping someone in the future.
tdav059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:56 PM   #2
Camping family

Welcome n enjoy
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:16 PM   #3
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdav059 View Post
Hello Gang, just joined the RV life. Myself and my wife are looking for pictures that anyone is willing to share …Springdale 1750rd / Hideout 177rd ideas, upgrades, etc.

Thanks gang…looking forward to RV life and helping someone in the future.
Welcome!
We had a 2016 Springdale 1750RD Summerland Mini. Ours had the window air conditioner. A good idea on paper but a poor one in practice. The only mod I did to that camper was build a drip tray to try to direct the A/C condensation out through the vent. I did install a television, but nothing more I don’t think.
It did see a lot of use by the kids and held up well for what it was. It still looked new when we sold it in 2019.
It was our experiences with the rear dining in that camper that led us to choose the rear dining model of our new Cougar.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:49 AM   #4
curtiscapk

We have a 2021 177rd. So far we've just added TV, Battery cutoff, and a propane griddle for outside. I just received a bunch of B-day gifts too. (Post to follow)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220306_115208.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	39771   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220426_171903.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	39772   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220305_151430.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	39773  
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:58 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Welcome!
We had a 2016 Springdale 1750RD Summerland Mini. Ours had the window air conditioner. A good idea on paper but a poor one in practice. The only mod I did to that camper was build a drip tray to try to direct the A/C condensation out through the vent. I did install a television, but nothing more I don’t think.
It did see a lot of use by the kids and held up well for what it was. It still looked new when we sold it in 2019.
It was our experiences with the rear dining in that camper that led us to choose the rear dining model of our new Cougar.
If this is a standard wall A/C unit, the bottom acts as a drip pan and there will usually be a tube to drain the pan. What type drip pan did you fab? Assume it was because the condensation from the A/C wasn't evacuating outside the camper?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:05 PM   #6
tdav059

Thanks everyone for your feedback ….It is truly a great community to be apart of. I will certainly upgrade a few things in the future.
tdav059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:42 PM   #7
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
If this is a standard wall A/C unit, the bottom acts as a drip pan and there will usually be a tube to drain the pan. What type drip pan did you fab? Assume it was because the condensation from the A/C wasn't evacuating outside the camper?
There was no drain tube or opening in the pan. This only became a problem when the camper was in motion and the condensate sloshed out of the pan, down the wall, onto the counter and then to the floor. That pan could hold an amazing amount of water. I simply used aluminum flashing to catch the water and direct it out the exterior vent, which I think it was supposed to do in the first place, but typical fit and finish left a large gap between the pan and the vent.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:58 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
There was no drain tube or opening in the pan. This only became a problem when the camper was in motion and the condensate sloshed out of the pan, down the wall, onto the counter and then to the floor. That pan could hold an amazing amount of water. I simply used aluminum flashing to catch the water and direct it out the exterior vent, which I think it was supposed to do in the first place, but typical fit and finish left a large gap between the pan and the vent.
If the a/c unit is not set high enough in the front it won't grain properly. If the trailer is set up win the a/c side higher then it won't drain properly. I couldn't understand why they installed them other than pure cost savings in the build. I suspected it wouldn't work out for these reasons and the realization after the "honeymoon" wore off the the a/c unit consumes a lot of very limited available interior space. I guess it "looked good on paper" to the bean counters at the time.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:30 AM   #9
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If the a/c unit is not set high enough in the front it won't grain properly. If the trailer is set up win the a/c side higher then it won't drain properly. I couldn't understand why they installed them other than pure cost savings in the build. I suspected it wouldn't work out for these reasons and the realization after the "honeymoon" wore off the the a/c unit consumes a lot of very limited available interior space. I guess it "looked good on paper" to the bean counters at the time.
Exactly! Not only did we lose very valuable storage space, but the floorplan put the A/C in a corner, so that the entire front of the camper would stay hot. I had to run a fan on the kitchen counter pointed toward the bed to keep it tolerable.
A centrally located roof A/C was apparently offered as a factory option which worked a whole lot better.

Old 05-18-2022, 03:37 AM   #10
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:25 AM   #11
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I couldn't understand why they installed them other than pure cost savings in the build. I suspected it wouldn't work out for these reasons and the realization after the "honeymoon" wore off the the a/c unit consumes a lot of very limited available interior space. I guess it "looked good on paper" to the bean counters at the time.
Based on needed AC size vs square footage. However, what’s works on paper doesn’t always work in reality. As mentioned, they stuffed it back in the corner behind the bathroom so the air doesn’t circulate to the front (bedroom) area very well. A good upgrade for these units is a fan to blow the air to the front or a vent fan above the bed to suck the air to the front.

Depending on how long you camp and what type of weather, a 30 lb LP cylinder instead of the 20, or a double 20 lb setup would be better. Also, an electric jack (assuming they’re still using the crank style), and front stabilizers are all good adds to the minis.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout, new member