Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2022, 08:02 AM   #1
DonP

Solar Panel Loss

Has anyone experienced the loss of a solar panel while driving? When returning to Reno, NV from the Grand Canyon in April we experienced 40 to 50 mph head winds combine with driving 60 mph, it was a bear. I noticed earlier this week that my max-aire vent cover was askew and when I got on the roof to fix it I noticed I no longer had a solar panel. I'm also wondering if this is a warranty issue or a comp claim. Any thoughts? 2021 Cougar 26RBSWE picked up in December.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:07 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
Has anyone experienced the loss of a solar panel while driving? When returning to Reno, NV from the Grand Canyon in April we experienced 40 to 50 mph head winds combine with driving 60 mph, it was a bear. I noticed earlier this week that my max-aire vent cover was askew and when I got on the roof to fix it I noticed I no longer had a solar panel. I'm also wondering if this is a warranty issue or a comp claim. Any thoughts? 2021 Cougar 26RBSWE picked up in December.
One reason I hate anything that is roof mounted. The decking is thin and doesn’t take a lot for something that catches the wind (like a solar panel) to get ripped loose. Good thing someone wasn’t following you in just the right (or wrong) position, that definitely would have been an insurance claim. I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:16 AM   #3
DonP

FYI no roof damage and all 4 brackets holding the panel are still attached to the roof however 1 is bent pretty bad.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:24 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
FYI no roof damage and all 4 brackets holding the panel are still attached to the roof however 1 is bent pretty bad.
Cheap aluminum framing on the panel. I wonder what the wind rating is on them.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:55 AM   #5
travelin texans

Im guessing if you mention the wind to your rv dealer they'll decline any help & refer you to your insurance agent. If you mention to your insurance agent that there's no roof damage & only minor bracket damage they'll refer you to your rv dealer for warranty due to poor installation. Your probably better off just replacing the panel out of pocket, call it "lesson leed" & feel lucky there wasn't someone behind you now taking you to court for property damages &/or medical expenses.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:46 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Im guessing if you mention the wind to your rv dealer they'll decline any help & refer you to your insurance agent. If you mention to your insurance agent that there's no roof damage & only minor bracket damage they'll refer you to your rv dealer for warranty due to poor installation. Your probably better off just replacing the panel out of pocket, call it "lesson leed" & feel lucky there wasn't someone behind you now taking you to court for property damages &/or medical expenses.
^^^ Then, considering a $500 deductible and a $300 solar panel...... That's a $200 donation to the insurance company before you sign the workorder to get the panel ordered.....

I'd run it by the dealership to see if it's covered by warranty, which is probably is not, then I'd ask my agent "OFF THE RECORD" about insurance coverage, but keep in mind that most insurance companies, once they get a damage report, will open a claim and that stays on your record whether you actually process the claim or just "report the damage"... So, next year, you may find that insurance renewal costs go up based on a claim on your policy...

So, step cautiously in any direction, there's pitfalls in many directions.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:30 AM   #7
jasin1

i’d replace it myself…i would take a really good look at the mounting brackets to make sure they didn’t cause any damage to the roof that you can’t see…the hassle of dealing with insurance and keystone and the dealer plus having to drive and drop off the trailer,pay for fuel ….wouldn’t be worth the headaches to me ..maybe you can install a air dam or deflector in front of the new panel….you couldn’t pay me $300 for all that aggravation
Old 05-14-2022, 02:56 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I've got a little bit different take. Seems driving 60mph into a 40-50mph headwind is asking for this to happen. If you've got roof mounted anything on an RV it's very possible it would be gone in that scenario. Certainly not a warranty issue. That would leave trying to get the insurance company to pay for the repairs or paying for it out of pocket. IMO that's an out of pocket expense with a lesson attached (will be checking all my vent covers before the next trip ).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:20 PM   #9
jxnbbl

I have zamp solar panels. After my install I would say 100 mph aggregate wind is quite excessive but I would thing the roof mount would be the weak link I’d wonder if these are the panels if nets can lose on multiple brackets over time
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 01:17 PM   #10
sahively

Look for damage beyond the obvious but fix it yourself if at all possible. Depending on the damage, your insurance could call it a collision and not a comp claim which would really hurt your future rates. It happens sometimes with blown tires that damage the vehicle. This shouldn't be the case but it is a possibility.
sahively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:59 PM   #11
WJQ

As an old engineer, I did not think much of the available mounting brackets. Four brackets seemed too flimsy..
Furthermore, I wasn't sure I could find anything robust to screw to.

Thus, I got some 1.5 inch alum angle from Home Depot. Attached the angle to the panel with number 8 or 10 bolts positioned every 8 inches.

I attached the angle outward from the panel, drilled holes every 8 inches for #10 sheet metal screws. Used a residential panel which is about 5 ft long. So there were 7 to 8 screws thru the angle.

Did the same thing on a previous Bounder motor home.It lasted four years before I sold it. I have had the panel on my trailer for three seasons.

When the wind blows that hard, it is time to pull over.

Covered all bolts, nuts, holes, and screws with Dicor.
Heber City, UTAH
Living the Dream at 6300 Feet!
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:57 AM   #12
440scout

Seems to me if the mounting brackets (sometimes called Z brackets) were still attached to the roof and the nuts and bolts that attach the solar panel to the mounting brackets were not tight then loosened during travel until they fell off and allowed the solar panel to blow off the roof. That should be a warranty item.
440scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 07:46 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440scout View Post
Seems to me if the mounting brackets (sometimes called Z brackets) were still attached to the roof and the nuts and bolts that attach the solar panel to the mounting brackets were not tight then loosened during travel until they fell off and allowed the solar panel to blow off the roof. That should be a warranty item.
????? Sort of like loose lug nuts and the wheel falls off the trailer or the tow vehicle and you can claim that under warranty ????? Good luck with that !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:16 PM   #14
NH_Bulldog

I had a loose AC unit on my last travel trailer (not a Keystone). It allowed water to enter and damage the ceiling. Warranty claim right? Nope, there was a required “professional” inspection after 30 days that was supposed to have been completed that I didn’t do, warranty claim denied.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar