Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2022, 08:30 AM   #1
Dewey72

Two new cracked water tanks in my camper in two years

Ok, needing some community expertise. I have a 2008 Pioneer Spirit. Last year I had an old tank that I did not winterize correctly and it split right behind the electronics on the outside. I replaced it with a brand new Dometic 6 gallon last year. I followed the winterization more closely this last fall. Keep the outside plug loose. I even tilted the camper's feet to see if I could get more out. Antifreeze the rest of the line with proper bypass. I store my camper outside but put a heavy camper cover (insulated) over it. Ran spring start-up and another crack (this time right in between the cold and hot intake). I decided to just buy another one versus messing with a welded patch. What in the heck am I doing wrong? I do have a large shop attached to my house that is heated. If I have to move some stuff around in that shop, maybe that is the best play? I am just baffled as to what I am doing wrong in the process.
Dewey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 02:56 PM   #2
firestation12

Is this the tank to the water heater that has a 6 gallon capacity you've replaced??? When you winterized he tank, did you remove the heating element to completely empty the tank?
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:01 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

You don’t have to remove the heating element, but you should remove the drain plug/anode rod. That will allow just about all the water to drain out, and allow for the little bit left to expand like an ice tray in the freezer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:33 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Depending on the brand of the water heater you either remove the drain plug or the anode rod - both drain the tank. Leave the plug out. When done like that any water in the bottom will push out the drain hole and not break anything. The winterization process protects lots of things but the water heater is not usually the first thing to fail - that would take a lot. What exactly is your process?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote