Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2022, 08:51 AM   #1
Miketurp

Inverter prep

Hello all,

New to the world of any kind of recreation vehicle and wanted to ask about the loop in the inverter prep area. I have a renogy 2000 watt inverter/charger I was wondering with this being a charger as well does that mean I have to delete my converter or will I be fine running both. Don’t roast me to hard. I’m new at this lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1D34749-2071-4CE7-8532-92D9D6ED4FE7.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	39690   Click image for larger version

Name:	2FE7EFF9-CF97-4E2B-BA2C-794C52ED7355.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	39691  
Miketurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:19 AM   #2
Swanni67

Good morning, I'm new here too and am doing the same thing.
Hard to find anything online about hooking it up yourself.
I have the knowledge to do it Just want to know if this is actually the right wire and do we need to add other items like fuses and switches to disconnect the inverter if needed. Just got my trailer saturday
Swanni67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:31 AM   #3
jxnbbl

Essentially started the same thread the other day...

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=51372
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:47 PM   #4
Miketurp

We’re you able to find out the correct way to do this
Old 06-08-2022, 05:47 AM   #5
jxnbbl

I have been told to just wire up as planned and each component is independent and will just shutoff when the batteries are full. (which seems to be the case). I posted some pics of my completed setup this morning. One part of it is the DC shutoff switch to the inverter. In this case, of course it disconnects the inverter/charger and it will not be part of the system.

The other point someone made is that I can always turn off my converter circuit breaker, but energize the inverter loop (they are on independent 15A breakers). If I do this the solar panels and the inverter/charger would be charging the batteries.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:51 AM   #6
jxnbbl

BTW does that inverter have pass through/transfer switch built into it?
Old 06-10-2022, 04:08 AM   #7
Miketurp

Yes I believe it does. Also would you mind linking those photos. I’ve still yet to install mine cause it seems like even talking to the experts one person tells me one things ok while the other say no lol
Old 06-10-2022, 04:29 AM   #8
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketurp View Post
Yes I believe it does. Also would you mind linking those photos. I’ve still yet to install mine cause it seems like even talking to the experts one person tells me one things ok while the other say no lol
You'll want to look through this this thread. My completed pics are at the end but I know it has the basic xantrex inverter wiring diagram in it. The only difference with mine is that it is a 2000W not the 1000-1500W in the diagram which means bigger battery cable connections and fuse.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...light=inverter
Old 06-10-2022, 05:57 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking back at post #1, the ROMEX is yellow. Typically, yellow sheathed ROMEX is 12 ga/20 amp. That said, "typical Keystone electrical installation" uses 14 ga/15 amp ROMEX in most "general outlet circuits". That includes nearly all the RV electrical wiring except for the air conditioner and possibly the microwave. Two things to consider before installing a 2000 watt inverter (16.66 amp output) is whether the ROMEX is rated to carry the load.

If that yellow ROMEX is 12 ga (marked on the sheath) it can carry the 16.66 amp output of the inverter... On the other hand, if the ROMEX is 14 ga (marked on the sheath), it's not rated for over 15 amps...

I know it's a "minor thing" but if the circuit is not rated to carry the load and if something happens, the insurance fire investigator may not approve a total loss if/when the trailer "burns to the ground while boondocking with no 911 access and no fire department to respond.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 10:40 AM   #10
jxnbbl

I'm somewhat planning on running a 20A/12ga circuit to the 2000W inverter and then hooking the both ends of the current to something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MJKVM4...R7C32W0GVY3NAZ

so that the output or the "pass through" of the inverter (20A) can be protected as 2 15A circuits. One circuit is the current load line of the inverter and the other circuit will take the current load line of the inverter and connect at the trailer load center to another set of outlets (currently a 15A/14ga circuit) that way I don't have to fool with upgrading the ROMEX of that circuit.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:53 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
I'm somewhat planning on running a 20A/12ga circuit to the 2000W inverter and then hooking the both ends of the current to something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MJKVM4...R7C32W0GVY3NAZ

so that the output or the "pass through" of the inverter (20A) can be protected as 2 15A circuits. One circuit is the current load line of the inverter and the other circuit will take the current load line of the inverter and connect at the trailer load center to another set of outlets (currently a 15A/14ga circuit) that way I don't have to fool with upgrading the ROMEX of that circuit.
If I'm reading this correctly you want to back feed the trailer load center with one side of the additional panel? Or are you talking about adding additional outlets using the second 15 amp breaker in the added panel?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:37 AM   #12
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If I'm reading this correctly you want to back feed the trailer load center with one side of the additional panel? Or are you talking about adding additional outlets using the second 15 amp breaker in the added panel?

Actually I'm against backfeeding a panel. Yes I've done it in an emergency (with all the correct precautions) for a house when the power is out for days...but that is not a great solution (imo). I've run another romex from the power center "cavity" in the pantry to under the passthrough just coiling/zip tying slack at both ends and zip tying to various cross members underneath. My intent it so use this in the configuration.

1. I would use the vacant 2nd AC 20A breaker and switch with the current inverter breaker (15A)
2. which will be the input to the inverter (12ga)
3. split the output/pass through of the inverter to this device and create two 15A circuits
4. One output will go to the intended 3 plugs in the 'inverter prep circuit'
5. disconnect the 15A/14ga wire from the other 15A breaker for the 7 plugs on the other side of the trailer (another post describes this...but these plugs are actually strategically better for use on occasion)
6. join that with the other 'split 15A' inverter output.

That way I have two separate protected 15A circuits (the important being the 7 outlets on 14ga romex). The downside being that combined they are protected/limited to 20A instead of the previously limited as 15A each. I would never anticipate exceeding the 20A anyways and as stated in the other thread, it would most likely be the standalone 15A/14ga circuit anyways due to outlet locations.

Now on occasion my wife can dry her hair (use outlet in the bathroom) and if we need to load the outside fridge and keep it cold between locations...it can be done.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:37 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Thanks for the clarification Jay, much appreciated. I though as much but I try reading posts as if I have no idea about the subject matter (no hard to do the older I get). It's easy to assume everyone understands what you intend to convey. Often a thread will take on the "feel" that we're setting around the campfire talking with like minded or similar experience folks.

I think back to the time when I was instructing several electrical courses in college. In nearly every class there would be someone that had someknowledge and wanted to impress. I could see the faces of the others that didn't have a clue. They wouldn't ask for fear of "looking stupid" but I knew they were lost. So when this would happen I'd stop and explained what the person just said and how one day they too could try to impress people with with BS too. Here you cannot see the faces, or know if everyone understands.

A lot of folks cruise this forum as other forums looking for solutions and/or project ideas. They may not comment and often log in as a guest. If they read something that can be misinterpreted and run off and try their hand at it they can have a very bad day. If someone experiments with being a plumber they may get their feet wet. Experiment as an electrician and someone could get killed.

I apologize for the lengthy post but but just want to explain my thought process. I've had a lot of experiences during my working life and witnessed more than one person get into serious trouble working on things they shouldn't have. I've stopped more folks than I can remember, performed CPR twice and witnessed one man die from electrocution. The smell of burning flesh is one you'll never forget, ask any firefighter.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:19 PM   #14
jxnbbl

Thanks I understand sorry if I wasn't clear.

Tags
inverter