Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2022, 05:47 AM   #1
NH_Bulldog

But they said no problem!

This happened yesterday. Thankfully no injuries to the woman who was driving, her child or any innocent parties.

2015 Tahoe hauling a 31’ camper when the tail started wagging the dog and she “pinballed” off the guardrails before the camper rolled onto it’s side blocking the highway for a couple of hours. I don’t know if a WDH was being used or if the propane tanks and battery were installed (or removed by the First Responders).

Hopefully this will be a wake-up call to someone thinking that towing a big trailer with a short wheelbase SUV is a good idea. To add insult to injury, it is my understanding that citations have been issued since that trailer was way over the capacity of the Tahoe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C0E6997B-0A18-4A57-9B9A-69247EC0C960.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	591.6 KB
ID:	39655   Click image for larger version

Name:	D00E0030-FB80-4A3C-A5BD-73DD698C3946.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	463.5 KB
ID:	39656   Click image for larger version

Name:	55D5B393-DE12-4FF3-B0E8-822B7AA81CB8.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	546.0 KB
ID:	39657  
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:02 AM   #2
markcee

Thought that looked familiar...read about this one before. Here is a good article on the incident with more pics from fifthwheelst.com
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:14 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Thought that looked familiar...read about this one before. Here is a good article on the incident with more pics from fifthwheelst.com
How ironic……the one I posted just happened less than 24 hrs ago, so it’s not the same incident yet it seems like they were just repeating history.
Old 05-08-2022, 06:20 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
The pics in your link don't match the ones in the OP. Some look similar but there are guard rails in one and not the other as well as terrain and other differences.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:34 AM   #5
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
How ironic……the one I posted just happened less than 24 hrs ago, so it’s not the same incident yet it seems like they were just repeating history.
Crazy how similar! Too bad yesterday's people hadn't seen that article!
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:45 AM   #6
haulinit

I see posts all the time, from both men and women, stating that because their rig will tow X amount of pounds it will pull my trailer. They don’t know how to calculate the weights. Even guys pulling the huge toy haulers with 3/4 ton trucks will comment that they’ve got air bags so they’re good.

I just finished classes last week and am now a registered RV tech. I’m currently in the process of becoming a registered RV Inspector. My goal is to start educating people about this stuff.

Shelley
Haulinit
aka The Tiny McMansion
NRVIA Registered RV Technician
haulinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:45 AM   #7
travelin texans

We live between Tucson & Phoenix, some of the setups I've seen in just that 100 mile stretch scares the hell outa me evey time I see any type rv coming towards me or ahead of me.
Those 2 separate incidents are so similar it's spooky, same rv, same black Tahoes only the 1st post is a newer model Tahoe.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:49 AM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Really crazy two very similar crashes, similar TV and trailers, same results. Not happy campers!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:50 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulinit View Post
I see posts all the time, from both men and women, stating that because their rig will tow X amount of pounds it will pull my trailer. They don’t know how to calculate the weights. Even guys pulling the huge toy haulers with 3/4 ton trucks will comment that they’ve got air bags so they’re good.

I just finished classes last week and am now a registered RV tech. I’m currently in the process of becoming a registered RV Inspector. My goal is to start educating people about this stuff.

Shelley
Haulinit
aka The Tiny McMansion
I wish all the best!!!

Until the sales staff takes the time to learn the limits and doesn’t sell a trailer because of it, unfortunately these sorts of things will continue to happen. Commission trumps safety in many cases. BTY congrats on passing your tests.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:12 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Really crazy two very similar crashes, similar TV and trailers, same results. Not happy campers!
What's that Einstien quote about the definition of insanity? I belive it's repeating the same experiment and expecting different results.
Old 05-08-2022, 07:15 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The pics in your link don't match the ones in the OP. Some look similar but there are guard rails in one and not the other as well as terrain and other differences.
Additionally, the propane tanks are present in the article photos, but not in the original post photos, the Tahoe has no "roof damage" to it's never been "dirty side up" like the Tahoe in the article, the roof structures (vents, refrigerator vent, etc) are not in the same place and the trailer in the OP's post is a Flagstaff UltraLite. The trailer in the article is a Flagstaff Classic Super Lite.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:24 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

I'm thinking they could set her upright, install a set of air bags on the Tahoe and cruise on! (Said with total sarcasm).
Old 05-08-2022, 08:29 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

That scenario, but for luck and the grace of God, should, and could, be repeated 100 times a day. Some of the rigs you see aren't just questionable, they're outright dangerous to everyone.

Just got back from FL and some of the rigs you see make you shake your head, slow down and move over. Started off I would see a wacked out setup and tell DW "look at that!" After the 2nd day she was beating me to it telling me "look at that!" One thing I did notice that will cause a problem for someone sooner or later is the fad it appears of throwing big trailers on lifted trucks. Lost count of them and some have lifts well over 6" with up to 35s and I swear one had 37s or so. Some of them have dropped shanks for a TT but they still sit nose high; some don't and they REALLY sit nose high. Saw a Ram Friday with all badging removed, lifted about 6-8", big tires running approx. 75 and the nose of the 5th was sitting somewhere between 5 and 10 degrees high - that's a lot. They just don't know, or care, about how much they are endangering themselves and others until it happens then it will be - "huh, it's supposed to pull xxx lbs. and I wasn't speeding". Duh.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:14 PM   #14
jfk69

But, but, but…it’s a “Super Lite” and the dealer said I was golden…

Thankful no one was injured or killed.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:31 AM   #15
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulinit View Post

Shelley
Haulinit
aka The Tiny McMansion
Just curious. Did you attend the new school in Athens, tx?
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:13 PM   #16
JetPants

I went to Camping World when we starting shopping for campers because they had a model that we were interested in. I ask the sales person what the tongue weight was. As if rehearsed the reply was “this trailer is easily half ton towable”. I pressed and said “that not what I asked”. The next reply after consulting the spec sheet was to give me the dry weight. I said “I already read that number off the sticker. I want to know the tongue weight”. Then came the “well what kind of truck do you have?” I replied with my 2017 RAM Laramie 1500. The salesperson then said “oh, you’ll be fine”. I said “No, I’m concerned. My truck is only rated to 1200lbs payload. My family of 4 takes up half that number just riding. So assuming I have nothing else in the truck, I only have about 600lbs of bumper weight to play with, that’s why I need to know approximately what the tongue weight is to know if this unit is even an option for us”. The next reply actually scared me ….”I’m not sure hitch weight is considered part of your payload, that’s only people and things in the bed of your truck”. Good grief…how many other poor people were misled on this….
JetPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:32 PM   #17
travelin texans

Good grief…how many other poor people were misled on this….[/QUOTE]
From reading post on just this forum I'd say 5 of 4 newbies!
Yes I said 5 of 4......
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:41 AM   #18
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPants View Post
I went to Camping World when we starting shopping for campers because they had a model that we were interested in. I ask the sales person what the tongue weight was. As if rehearsed the reply was “this trailer is easily half ton towable”. I pressed and said “that not what I asked”. The next reply after consulting the spec sheet was to give me the dry weight. I said “I already read that number off the sticker. I want to know the tongue weight”. Then came the “well what kind of truck do you have?” I replied with my 2017 RAM Laramie 1500. The salesperson then said “oh, you’ll be fine”. I said “No, I’m concerned. My truck is only rated to 1200lbs payload. My family of 4 takes up half that number just riding. So assuming I have nothing else in the truck, I only have about 600lbs of bumper weight to play with, that’s why I need to know approximately what the tongue weight is to know if this unit is even an option for us”. The next reply actually scared me ….”I’m not sure hitch weight is considered part of your payload, that’s only people and things in the bed of your truck”. Good grief…how many other poor people were misled on this….
Well not only that, but many look at the total payload number, as to how much pin weight a truck can carry. Nothing else just pin.
Many dodn't relize how much payload is lost to passengers, stuff and hitch! We lost 1,411# of our 5,411# payload to those items.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:17 AM   #19
NH_Bulldog

Sadly, there is no clear legal precedent on who might be liable in an accident. The consumer could argue that they relied on the knowledge and expertise of the dealer and the dealer could argue that it is the consumers responsibility to ensure they are operating within the limitations of their equipment (which is NEVER the same as what it was the day it was picked up at the dealer). In my mind, I am the one using the product, and it is my family’s safety on the line so I am going to do my research and cover my own butt and not trust what any salesman motivated by commission is trying to tell me. I know that not all dealers and sales people are bad, so “Trust but Verify” is a good practice.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
Old 05-15-2022, 05:24 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Sadly, there is no clear legal precedent on who might be liable in an accident. The consumer could argue that they relied on the knowledge and expertise of the dealer and the dealer could argue that it is the consumers responsibility to ensure they are operating within the limitations of their equipment (which is NEVER the same as what it was the day it was picked up at the dealer). In my mind, I am the one using the product, and it is my family’s safety on the line so I am going to do my research and cover my own butt and not trust what any salesman motivated by commission is trying to tell me. I know that not all dealers and sales people are bad, so “Trust but Verify” is a good practice.
This, IMO, is the "key to the entire process". Far too many people don't know and are "too busy to take time to find out" so they use the "feel good process of believing the salesman".. After all, he/she is the "expert" and knows all about towing, right ?????

Maybe it's just me, but I won't buy a bag of apples without looking through the plastic to see if they are good or maybe rotten... That's a $4 purchase. Why on earth would I make a $40K+ purchase without "looking at the apples" ?????

To me, it's negligence on the part of the purchaser to "trust and not verify"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote