Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2022, 03:57 PM   #1
lab traveller

2 Battery disconnects - 2022Cougar 22RBS

Our new Cougar has an (A) "Giggy box" with a battery disconnect;
and another(B) battery disconnect.

When storing, should both be turned off ?
Will that shut off battery charging by the solar panel ??
When towing, should both be turned on ??
What circuits does Disconnect (B) control ?
And why are two disconnects used ??
lab traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:32 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

No idea what year model trailer you have, but if it's a new one, the Giggybox controls power from the battery to the trailer systems and the other batttery cutoff probably disables the solar system. If your trailer is a 2022 model, which Solar Flex system is installed? Depending on the system, you may find different "disconnect functions" for the solar system, the inverter, the solar charger and/or battery input to the inverter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:04 PM   #3
lab traveller

Thanks for your reply.

2022 Cougar 22RBS

Solar Flex 400I
Old 05-04-2022, 06:34 PM   #4
pasayten

We have a 2021 Cougar 26RBS with solar and the inverter. Solar always charges batteries... The second disconnect disables the inverter from the batteries.

2022 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali Crew Cab Gas
2021 Cougar R26RBS
pasayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:57 AM   #5
Kaylodad

Probably saying same thing as others, I had the same on question about our 22 25RDS.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=50490

Based on a whopping 1 trip experience - Giggy Box gets 12 volts to trailer (lights, hitch, pump, etc.). SeaFlo gets 110v to trailer (inverted outlets). Batteries are always in float charge, even if both are off.
Kaylodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:40 PM   #6
madweazl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylodad View Post
Probably saying same thing as others, I had the same on question about our 22 25RDS.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=50490

Based on a whopping 1 trip experience - Giggy Box gets 12 volts to trailer (lights, hitch, pump, etc.). SeaFlo gets 110v to trailer (inverted outlets). Batteries are always in float charge, even if both are off.
Not sure which inverter you have but on our 400i equipped trailer, hitting the power button on the inverter takes care of that (along with disabling power to all the lights inside the trailer which still work if the two disconnects are off but the inverter is on).
Old 05-05-2022, 07:13 PM   #7
lab traveller

Thanks for all the information regarding the two battery shutoffs, the solar connections, the inverter, and the Giggy box, etc..

If I understand correctly, while storing/ or not using the trailer, I can turn off both battery switches;

Minimal current flows from the batteries; yet the two solar panels*still* deliver a "float" charge, to keep/ or raise the two batteries to FULL charge(my main concern).
Old 05-06-2022, 05:58 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab traveller View Post
Thanks for all the information regarding the two battery shutoffs, the solar connections, the inverter, and the Giggy box, etc..

If I understand correctly, while storing/ or not using the trailer, I can turn off both battery switches;

Minimal current flows from the batteries; yet the two solar panels*still* deliver a "float" charge, to keep/ or raise the two batteries to FULL charge(my main concern).
That's apparently the way it "is supposed to be wired", so in theory, the answer is yes......

That said, Keystone's "wiring track record" is anything but stellar, so if I were you, I'd set the switches up the way you expect them to function, THEN, monitor the trailer for a week or so, if for no other reason than to "verify that Keystone wired it correctly".....

Nothing worse than expecting to hitch the trailer and drag it somewhere, only to find when you get there, the hitch jack won't work, the batteries are dead and not only do you need to charge them, but they won't accept a charge and now, to move the trailer, you've got to buy two new batteries that aren't destroyed from sitting, uncharged for weeks.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 04:19 PM   #9
lab traveller

Thanks John for your practical wariness.
Always good to plan ahead to avoid a problem.
*Charged* batteries are essential for a FUN trip.;
especially today with so may electrical loads, and complex wiring.

Tags
battery, cougar