Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2022, 04:05 AM   #1
Spletbr

Dish vs. Youtube TV

Any comments on using Dish (with Wally) vs. You Tube TV (on Amazon Firestick)? I can get WIFI via the Winegard 360 and router as long as there is some Verizon signal. I also get that sometimes I can't get a southern sky exposure for the satellite (trees, clouds, etc.). Just wondering what other feedback, reviews and comments this esteemed may have. If you wanted some TV access and could only have one...?
Cooper and Penny (pups)
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:42 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

We don't use either service, however we do use a firestick but not for YouTube. Typically end up using the 5G tablet to stream or cast to the tv. But from a logical approach I'd recommend taking a good look at how/where you camp. I'm guessing dish is dependent on accessing a satellite and YouTube TV the internet. If you have a cell signal you have internet.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:49 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

If you have Dish TV in your home, it makes some sense to pay $7 a month for its use in your camper. Get a variety of coax lengths and set your dish on a tripod, if necessary to avoid obstructions of the southern sky. We had Dish TV in our home but it got so expensive we dumped them and went with streaming. In our case Hulu but you can only use Hulu with home internet's router so we watch other streaming services such as Newsmax, Tubi, IMDB when camping. I installed a cell booster and a wifi booster using outside antennas so if a campgrounds wifi is adequate for streaming, we pretty much will have a good signal. If not, will fall back on using the phone as a hotspot with the cell service. My wife and I both have 30 gigs of data each but I am likely to switch to Visible Mobile which offers unlimited using a hotspot. Out current phones use AT&T towers but Visible uses Verizon. We also use a Roku and not a Firestick.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:58 AM   #4
gearhead

We bought into DISH last spring. I'm about to admit defeat. First, I don't have a lot of patience with incompetence and stupidity. DISH customer service is loaded with it. It seems we can never get a signal the same way 2 days in a row. We even took notes. I've had CS reps tell me I need to run the cable through a window direct to the Wally, when it worked great the previous day in the same location.
I have one shot left, take the Wally to an authorized repair center for a checkup.
Then maybe take myself somewhere for a checkup.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 06:23 AM   #5
jabba9

If you have internet (at least 5Mbps in our experience), both will give you 'normal' cable-like TV (networks, USA, CNN, etc) AND streaming services.

Dish has the availability of streaming services internally. (Smart TV, Firestick, etc. not required.

YouTube TV will give the normal stuff, but you will need a Smart TV or Firestick or similar to access streaming services.

We have both. If we have internet, we prefer YouTube TV. Unlimited DVR, good interface. Another advantage of YouTube TV is the ability to always record a show, even if offline. For example, if I'm recording a show and I'm offline for a month or so, when I reconnect, the recordings will all be there.

If no internet, and access to southern skies, we use Dish.

We normally pay just for one service, starting and stopping each of them.
jabba9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:05 PM   #6
Nankipoo

We have direct TV using the old standard definition satellite. Lots of state parks we camp at have no cell service worth using. Thought about going Dish because it was cheaper. My brother just bought a camper and did the trial with the dish Wally. He would park beside me and I could get signal in 10 minutes. We would try for hours to get a Dish high def signal. Most times to no avail. If we did find it it would drop 10 times an hour. I'm keeping my Direct TV set up until it's no longer available.
Nankipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:50 PM   #7
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nankipoo View Post
We have direct TV using the old standard definition satellite. Lots of state parks we camp at have no cell service worth using. Thought about going Dish because it was cheaper. My brother just bought a camper and did the trial with the dish Wally. He would park beside me and I could get signal in 10 minutes. We would try for hours to get a Dish high def signal. Most times to no avail. If we did find it it would drop 10 times an hour. I'm keeping my Direct TV set up until it's no longer available.
We have DirectTV at home. I thought the convenience of having DISH ability to turn off and on for the RV sounded good. I'm thinking it's $100 month plus about $20 for the ability to get local channels. We don't take a lot of trips but when we go we usually stay gone for several weeks.
I need to do some figuring on getting DISH at home and taking advantage of the lower DISH Outdoors rates to see if the grand total is a savings.
I keep hearing DirectTV will go out of business because of their old satellites.
Maybe just get the kids to show us how to stream, Firestick or whatever. Neither of the kids have cable or satellite, all streaming or whatever.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 05-01-2022, 05:32 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

I have had DirectTv since 2002, use a wineguard “carryout” and I have put it on my roof if needed. Have t had a single night that DW can’t watch her shows. There are apps for your phone that you simply point at the sky, identify the satellite your looking for and any obstructions will be in your view.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 07:27 PM   #9
Nankipoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
We have DirectTV at home. I thought the convenience of having DISH ability to turn off and on for the RV sounded good. I'm thinking it's $100 month plus about $20 for the ability to get local channels. We don't take a lot of trips but when we go we usually stay gone for several weeks.
I need to do some figuring on getting DISH at home and taking advantage of the lower DISH Outdoors rates to see if the grand total is a savings.
I keep hearing DirectTV will go out of business because of their old satellites.
Maybe just get the kids to show us how to stream, Firestick or whatever. Neither of the kids have cable or satellite, all streaming or whatever.
That was my thought too. After seeing how much trouble we had trying to find a signal with my brothers set up I decided not to. He has the automatic dish that was supposed to find it for you. It would not find the satellite’s and stay locked. I know several friends that went dish because of the lower price only to find out it doubled. Some after one year. My Direct had went up to high to even afford. I called them and said I was leaving because I could not afford it any longer, they cut my bill in half for 2 years so I’m going to ride it as long as I can. As long as my cables haven’t worked loose I can have a signal in 10 minutes when we set up. That’s just one less thing to worry about.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:28 PM   #10
Nankipoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I have had DirectTv since 2002, use a wineguard “carryout” and I have put it on my roof if needed. Have t had a single night that DW can’t watch her shows. There are apps for your phone that you simply point at the sky, identify the satellite your looking for and any obstructions will be in your view.
I got the king dish that finds the signal for you. Easy peasy.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:51 AM   #11
pasayten

We have wifi (Winegard system/att) and a firestick... Use Sling, Youtube, and Samsung TV... Plenty to choose from with those.

2022 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali Crew Cab Gas
2021 Cougar R26RBS
pasayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 04:23 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nankipoo View Post
I got the king dish that finds the signal for you. Easy peasy.
So does my carry out, I just use the app to figure out where to set it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:45 AM   #13
Nankipoo

What app is this?
Old 05-02-2022, 04:46 AM   #14
Nankipoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
So does my carry out, I just use the app to figure out where to set it.
What app is this?
Old 05-02-2022, 04:54 AM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

I have sat finder, there are provider specific apps in the App Store.

Old 05-02-2022, 04:59 AM   #16
Nankipoo

I will check them out.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:02 AM   #17
wiredgeorge

I used the smallest DishTV sat dish; a Playmaker. Just set it pointed to the southern sky and it always locked in. I carried a spare Wally as the first time out we were in a place with no OTA tv and our Wally died. They shipped a new one and we got it when we got back home but I felt better with the spare. They have them on sale all the time really cheap.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:40 AM   #18
GroverT70

We used Dish for years in our home and RV. Got tired of not being able to get a satellite signal so we got rid of dish at home and RV. We now use YouTube TV for all. We have smart TV’s but a fire stick will work fine. You do need good internet service to use you tube. Added benefit was that going this route saved me about $80 per month. Love you tube TV and would never go back to dish or direct TV. You can also download the app and watch it on phone, tablet, computer, Xbox, etc.
GroverT70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:26 AM   #19
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroverT70 View Post
We used Dish for years in our home and RV. Got tired of not being able to get a satellite signal so we got rid of dish at home and RV. We now use YouTube TV for all. We have smart TV’s but a fire stick will work fine. You do need good internet service to use you tube. Added benefit was that going this route saved me about $80 per month. Love you tube TV and would never go back to dish or direct TV. You can also download the app and watch it on phone, tablet, computer, Xbox, etc.
Can you watch live financial TV shows...CNBC, Fox Business, Fox News, NASCAR races live??
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 05-09-2022, 06:07 AM   #20
GroverT70

Yes, we get all of our local channels. I still get all the channels that dish offered. I have unlimited cloud storage for recordings. You might want to watch a you tube video for you tube TV to understand what all it offers. Good thing is it is only $65/mo.
GroverT70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish