Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2022, 06:33 PM   #1
Army

Angry Why no furnace access panel?

Well just after getting a reoccurring water tank problem repaired again, which was just one problem of many, now my furnace won't light. Why would Keystone not have the outside furnace access panel on this trailer instead of just the chimney? So after removing the contents of my storage compartment and tearing out the whole inside wall I find it way back out of reach behind an aluminum framed support wall and wiring and water lines all around and behind it. It will be a nightmare to try and remove it to fix. Has anyone here bought an access panel and frame and cut a hole in the wall to mount it without removing the furnace? Keystone really cheaped out on us here!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:54 PM   #2
rhagfo

Well ours doesn’t have outside access. I actually like that, less chance for leaks. Yes a bit of a hassle to pull out and service, but less chance for water intrusion.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:39 PM   #3
ChuckS

Some have furnace outside access .. which is nice and some dont.. Typically the Montana line has outside access.. My Alpine doesn't and is behind a rear panel in the basement

Trying to add in an outside access panel is gonna most likely not be feasible and appearance wise may ruin the looks as well as some structure integrity to the RV...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:52 PM   #4
Army

Angry

So far it's looking like creating an opening might be the only way I'll gain access to it. You can just see the furnace on the far side if I crawl in and press my chest tightly against the abs pipe I can just touch the unit itself. No chance of reaching it properly and no room to slide it back due to cables and plumbing. The white wall beside it has water heater right behind it. Grrrrrrr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220420_072309.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	39363  
Old 04-20-2022, 04:58 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

BTDT more times than I care to count. I wouldn’t start cutting the sidewall, I’ve been in tighter spots than that!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:17 PM   #6
Army

I wouldn't put in just any access panel, there are proper access panel kits available for this furnace. Back in the old days when vans were the thing I cut many holes in vans for sunroofs and big side bay windows, and have built 2 houses from the ground up since then, I think I can handle it. I was just wondering if anyone else had been down this road.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:37 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

When you do it, take pictures and post the process. I've been around here about 11 or 12 years and you're the first one I know of to even consider this mod. So, you're "pioneering the way".... Keep us informed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:43 PM   #8
Army

Ok, I'm concerned about future problems too so a new access seems like a good idea, especially since these furnaces are advertised to be mostly serviceable from the front for convenience. I have an email into my dealers service dept for advice too.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:48 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ll be watching.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:32 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
Ok, I'm concerned about future problems too so a new access seems like a good idea, especially since these furnaces are advertised to be mostly serviceable from the front for convenience. I have an email into my dealers service dept for advice too.
I really don't know about the "future problems" part of your motivation. I've been messing with these things well over 40 years and with the currenty style furnaces for the past 15 or 20. On my personal trailers, I've never had a furnace failure that required access to the furnace where having an access door would have made it easier to repair. Actually, other than reconnecting loose duct runs, the only problems I've had was a dirty blower wheel, and that's not accessible from the access door....

So, even though my Holiday Rambler and my Airstream had access doors, I can't even remember ever taking the screws out of it...

Seems, to me anyway, a lot of work for something you might not need.... And, honestly, I'd suppose you'll spend more time and money to install the door than it would take you to just pull the furnace, if you ever will need to pull it.

To me, it's sort of the same as packing around a spare set of brake pads, just in case you need them and there's none in the store....

Welded aluminum frame trailers with laminated foam core walls are not as easy to "reframe an opening" as the older aluminum sided trailers with "screwed, glued and stapled wood framing"....

I'd think twice about just how often you'd need it and how much time, effort and money it's going to take compared to the few (if any) times you'll need to pull the furnace.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:56 PM   #11
Army

well JRT, the trailer is only 3 years old and furnace problems already that are known to be common, that's the concern for the future part. I've had trailers too that never had problems but that is rare nowdays. You seemed to have missed the actual point of my post, I can't get to the furnace to remove it, I suppose maybe if I pull out the water heater and rip out the wet bay area I could squeeze up along side it but there is still the issue of power, sewer and water lines right behind it limiting it's movement. Again I was just asking if anyone else has encountered this and installed an exterior access like it should have had in the first place.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:25 PM   #12
rhagfo

If worried about future access I would solve that problem now. That aluminum stud wall looks non-structural, that mess of wires pass through it I would consider removing screws securing it and see if it can be moved aside for better access.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:45 AM   #13
Army

Can't remove stud wall, too many water and power lines pass thru it. And would be to much work. Dealer says no wiring in the wall, gotta check on framing. All this for what would be a 10 minute fix if the access door had been put in like this one. This pic is sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220420_210238.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	39368  
Old 04-28-2022, 07:12 AM   #14
crossdr

RV Tech

I applaud your tenacity, but perhaps this is one of those times where it might be better to call an RV Tech. He will, in all likelihood, have seen this before and can make the repair quickly and efficiently. You will also benefit by learning his tricks.
crossdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:09 AM   #15
Army Paladin

I have seen this on another post or sight. I totally agree with you on needing an access panel. I had some troubles last winter with mine but was lucky enough to have a panel inside to get that bugger out. There was virtually no room to get the ducts loose let alone reconnected. It scratched up some of the trim in the process and hd to reflare the copper since it was to short. Oh, and had to put extensions on all of the wiring since the installed the furnace before the walls were installed.
As long as the is not a wall stud right in the way, there are options to build a support box and install an exterior access panel. Even if the is a stud in the way, there is always a way to support them.

I agree. Post the photos of your process to give us some ideas.

2015 GMC 2500HD 6.0
2017 Keystone Cougar 29RLI
Army Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:29 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossdr View Post
I applaud your tenacity, but perhaps this is one of those times where it might be better to call an RV Tech. He will, in all likelihood, have seen this before and can make the repair quickly and efficiently. You will also benefit by learning his tricks.
BTDT more times than I want to count, There are no “tricks” just lots of words.

Old 04-28-2022, 12:07 PM   #17
Life-in-Him

Access panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossdr View Post
I agree with the need for outside access. Even though we had to have a new sail switch, & our rig has a much easier access from umder the frig, it is a pain to work on.
Where the OP's unit is, it must have a plenum rather than the 5 flex ducts we have. But the vent going up would need cut out for easy access & wireing extended for the unit itself just for reconnect.
The gas line is another huge issue, since disconnect & reconnect require 2 wrenches to keep from twisting the valve Inside the box.
A tech might have a trick or 2 but it's still a major set of issues unless the tech is only 2' tall.
Biggest thing is $$$ & getting it in & out of any service shop before the season is over.
Maybe hauling the Rig up &
parking it in front of the largest Keystone stockholder's residency would take less time & be cost effective for all of us.
The service manual talks all about how & why it needs "the right & approved" skills to service these without outside doors. But ignores the reality of bad installation design.
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 05:26 PM   #18
Catsailor

Angry

got a Passport same as my buddies and both have furnace issues with no access hatch. Might be the gas regulator recall we will see but for something simple this is just a company run by bean counters. Also why can't they put a screw in straight and not over tighten the plastic molding's on the skylights which crack.

End of Rant but I won't buy another.
Catsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 06:40 PM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsailor View Post
Another ???

ALL brands have issues.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:06 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsailor View Post
got a Passport same as my buddies and both have furnace issues with no access hatch. Might be the gas regulator recall we will see but for something simple this is just a company run by bean counters. Also why can't they put a screw in straight and not over tighten the plastic molding's on the skylights which crack.

The folks that design these trailers, all brands, have a multitude of issues that they are faced with to accomplish the goals they are tasked with. There may be a number of reasons the access to a furnace is restricted to the inside. On the flip side, if it's important to a buyer....LOOK! Having had to have a couple (at least) pulled and worked on I LOOK for that cover vs just an exhaust vent. To not do so, decide to deem it important, then "rant" (your descriptor) because it's not there doesn't seem right. And yes, all manufacturers depending on model do that - the buyer has to discern if it's acceptable or not prior to purchase.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace