Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2022, 09:59 AM   #1
jim1

Mopeka propane sensors

Hi! Happy easter! I was wondering if anyone with the Mopeka propane sensor set up had any issues good or bad.
Are you using the standard or Pro check sensors? Are you using the Bluetooth app or the monitor or both? Was looking at them and just wondered if they're worth it or just a gimmick. Thanks I appreciate the feed back, this a great place to pick up some knowledge and laughs!
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 10:54 AM   #2
TimC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Hi! Happy easter! I was wondering if anyone with the Mopeka propane sensor set up had any issues good or bad.
Are you using the standard or Pro check sensors? Are you using the Bluetooth app or the monitor or both? Was looking at them and just wondered if they're worth it or just a gimmick. Thanks I appreciate the feed back, this a great place to pick up some knowledge and laughs!
I used them for a little while. They seemed to be accurate when they worked. However, I had issues with them losing their reading often. Seemed like they would move around a bit and not be seated properly on the bottom of the tank. The other issue I had was the little legs that clip to the bottom of the tank. They were meant to hold the tank a little higher so you don’t damage the sensor. They would fall off just about every time I pulled a tank off to refill it. It was cool to see a tank level on my phone, but ultimately I don’t burn through much propane in most of the season and it’s easy enough to tell when they’re getting empty without the sensor. So I decided it wasn’t worth messing with constantly and stopped using them. I think mine were standard as I haven’t heard of pro check.

TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 12:35 PM   #3
jasin1

I have them and they work pretty good..almost two years now and other then battery’s going dead just recently I believe they are fairly accurate…even if you just use them while your on a particular camping trip like when it’s colder weather and the furnace is being used more often…I think it’s worth it
Old 04-17-2022, 12:57 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

My experiences were like TimC. They would just never work accurately enough, long enough and the issues with them staying on the bottoms due to the little legs coming off (or breaking) just wasn't worth the effort. I did like the monitor but eventually I viewed it like my tank sensors - useless. I believe others have had good success so maybe they'll chime in.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 02:42 PM   #5
bfisher003

We’ve been using the standard sensors, both with the monitor and iPhone app for at least the last five years. They have worked very well for us. Yes, those three little stand-off legs, first plastic, then metal were/are a joke, but they now offer a rubbery type of ring and it tends to stay on much, much better. While I do use the monitor, I believe the iPhone app gives a more accurate reading because it tells the actual percentage of propane left in the tank. I did have a few problems early on, but the company was great to work with and sent me new, free replacements quickly. I have them on 30 lb tanks in our Montana fiver. I recommend them.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 01:49 AM   #6
RickV

I have had a set of the standard ones for about 4 years. The little first plastic then metal legs were a PITA, every time you took a tank out they would fall off and you'd have to hunt em down. I bought the rings for the bottom and they work good. As for the sensors they have worked good for us other than battery life (about 6 months). I also put a dab of Dielectric Grease on the sensor pickup between the two magnets. I had em paired to a Samsung tablet that I replaced recently so I need to pull the tanks and re-pair the sensors to my new device.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:25 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Click image for larger version

Name:	31Os+sYHaoL._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	39319
I can assure this type of gauge is a gimmick!! Don't waste your $$ on this type.
I have no experience with the Mopeka brand!.
My auto changeover regulator turned red when one tank was empty, that was gauge enough for me.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:09 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at the "propane level gauge" in post #7, consider this drawing of what's inside a propane tank. The vapor at the top of the tank is roughly 150 PSI, the liquid under that vapor is "super cold liquid" the level of liquid does not affect the pressure of the vapor just like the level of water in a tea kettle does not affect the amount of steam that comes out the "whistle" on the spout.

Same with propane tanks with a "pressure gauge on the spout"... They measure the pressure of the vapor, but can't detect the amount of liquid below the vapor. 5 gallons of liquid or 1 gallon of liquid, the vapor pressure will be the same coming out the spout and in the hose to the regulator.

Essentially, a pressure gauge measuring vapor pressure will read "the vapor pressure" until the liquid under the vapor is depleted and there is no liquid to "boil off to make vapor"... So, that type of gauge will read full (or close to it) until it's so close to empty that it'll run out before you can change to the other propane tank....

Like Danny, I rely on my automatic changeover regulator to monitor tank status. When it's pointing to a tank and the indicator is red, I know it's drawing propane from the other tank and the one it's pointing to is empty. If I check it and it's green, I know the tank it's pointing to is not yet empty. That's "gauge enough for me"...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	propane-liquid-vapor.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	39320  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:37 AM   #9
jim1

Thanks for all the input and advice very helpful. The main issue I have is that the bottom of the propane cubbie is open other than a flat narrow piece of steel. I was thinking I might lose the sensors out of the bottom if I find a sneaky pot hole. Or I might just be over thinking it again(to quote my bride!)
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:42 PM   #10
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Attachment 39319
I can assure this type of gauge is a gimmick!! Don't waste your $$ on this type.
My auto changeover regulator turned red when one tank was empty, that was gauge enough for me.
That’s right Danny. Monitoring vapor pressure (pressure above liquid as a function of temperature) will always read the same until the LP liquid is all but gone! Then then gage will suddenly move as pressure drops.
Old 04-18-2022, 01:27 PM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Thanks for all the input and advice very helpful. The main issue I have is that the bottom of the propane cubbie is open other than a flat narrow piece of steel. I was thinking I might lose the sensors out of the bottom if I find a sneaky pot hole. Or I might just be over thinking it again(to quote my bride!)
I think the storage areas are all open ( most) in case you get a leak…mine haven’t come off in travel
Old 04-18-2022, 02:47 PM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Attachment 39319
I am with Danny on this, never had a gauge, and never saw a need for the cylinder sensors. We full time and know pretty much propane we use. We use about one 30# tank a month, if we are not heating with propane.
Before we full timed, after a trip I would fill the tank being used so we always started the trip with two full tanks.
We dealt with a nine day power outage last year after an ice storm. Two issues, one getting around all the Downed trees and power lines, and propane shortages in the immediate area. We purchased a third 30# propane cylinder and keep it filled, when one is empty we replace with the full and then get it fill very soon.
We know several other host that have two spare cylinders.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:36 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I am with Danny on this, never had a gauge, and never saw a need for the cylinder sensors. We full time and know pretty much propane we use. We use about one 30# tank a month, if we are not heating with propane.
Before we full timed, after a trip I would fill the tank being used so we always started the trip with two full tanks.
We dealt with a nine day power outage last year after an ice storm. Two issues, one getting around all the Downed trees and power lines, and propane shortages in the immediate area. We purchased a third 30# propane cylinder and keep it filled, when one is empty we replace with the full and then get it fill very soon.
We know several other host that have two spare cylinders.
Have you or others encountered just a "set" price to fill a propane tank - 20/30/40lb? Used to I could fill them and pay xxx per gallon to top them off. Nowadays it's xxx to "fill" it. I told 2 locations a couple of years ago that it wasn't empty and they told me "it's xxx" to "fill" whatever size tanks no matter how much - and they were propane distributors. I run them dry now but it seems strange to me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 04:32 PM   #14
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Have you or others encountered just a "set" price to fill a propane tank - 20/30/40lb? Used to I could fill them and pay xxx per gallon to top them off. Nowadays it's xxx to "fill" it. I told 2 locations a couple of years ago that it wasn't empty and they told me "it's xxx" to "fill" whatever size tanks no matter how much - and they were propane distributors. I run them dry now but it seems strange to me.
I have heard of that being done on the east coast. I have never heard of it here on the west coast. Also on the west coast propane is sold by the gallon, not weight, even at distributor locations.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 05:42 PM   #15
TimC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
There’s one place I know of near me that does this (or used to). It’s only about a mile down the road from my house so was a super convenient place to fill. But, because of how they priced I’ll drive the 10 miles to the place that charges me by the gallon.

TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:43 AM   #16
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I think the storage areas are all open ( most) in case you get a leak…mine haven’t come off in travel
Same here the magnets are pretty strong. My selector auto switches too but, it is nice to know how much I have left so I don't run out in an area where no propane is available or it is outrageously priced.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:47 AM   #17
Greg1780

I’ve used the Pro Series now for the past couple months and found them to be very helpful, but I did get rid of the small legs and purchased a rubber ring that fits all the way around the bottom of the cylinder. I also drilled several venting holes on the cylinder resting plate. I’ve had absolutely No Problems with this system and it seems fairly accurate.
Greg1780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 08:35 AM   #18
rlh1957

Love ours.
Have the ring that fits on bottom of tank to elevate the sensor slightly so it doesn’t contact anything. The little metal or plastic feet are useless and fall off when you move tank to get refilled.
I use the iPhone monitor app to check status and it updates often when in the app.
Another outstanding idea my wife had to get these!

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:51 AM   #19
Bandit12

I have the standard sensors on our rig. Got them in January and we just took our first trip over Easter weekend. I de-winterized the trailer the weekend before, sanitizing the fresh water system and un-bypassing the water heater. Then put 25 or so gallons of water in the fresh tank. Then the weather turned cold. Like 25 over night and only up to about 40 during the day. I decided the best thing to do was to run the furnace at the lowest possible setting just to keep anything from freezing. I was able to keep an eye on the amount of propane in the tank on my phone prior to departure. I decided if I had used over half a tank prior to departure, I'd switch over to the other tank and get that one filled before we left town. As it worked out, according to my monitor, that tank was at 61% when I hooked up. We completed the weekend trip and according to the monitor, I still have about 30% in that same tank. When I put the little metal feet on, they seemed to be quite secure. I used a small ball peen hammer to tap them onto the bottom ring completely. I haven't had to remove a tank since so I haven't had any experience with them falling off, but it's something I'll keep an eye on now that I've been made aware of it being a potential issue.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 02:23 PM   #20
zalewskim

I simply took some Gorilla adhesive to the metal legs; problem solved!
zalewskim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane