Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2022, 02:16 PM   #1
jasin1

Florida vacation home vs rv for the winter

Question to the snowbirds on the forum..family is talking about buying a small cottage either on the water or near the water in Florida….what do you end up spending for the winter for campground fees for those that winter down there?…are the campgrounds pretty decent for a winter stay or do you get relegated to the outskirts and back areas?

I’m getting tired of winters in MD and can work down in Florida during the winter if I need to
Old 04-07-2022, 03:50 PM   #2
gearhead

I'm not a snowbird but I'll give you my opinion.
I don't think I could handle the crowded typical RV park. Give me a cottage with a view of something other than the neighbors RV dump hose.
Sourdough might have a more educated opinion.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:29 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Jasin I wouldn't. I've talked about it, looked at homes, properties etc. Even this trip after all these years I was talking to a realtor and looking at homes. Seems I keep thinking a "place" would be better than coming here in an RV but there are so many "cons" I just can't do it.

"On the water", "near the water"; the stipulations on insurance here get crazy. If you buy a property it has to meet the "new" guidelines (flood/hurricane) to get insurance. If not, you buy uninsured. I've looked at the old FL coastal homes; cinderblock, concrete floors and that's about it. Hurricane hits, house floods, drains and then you clean it out. Some are pretty sparse. Nicer ones are about 13' in the air and that's required for insurance on a new buy as we were told. My daughter lived in one....my knees hated it. Get out of the flood plain and things change but then I'd rather be in an RV generally.

I was one that said I would never own an RV for an extended stay, they were for short "vacation" trips to the nether regions. To that end I wound up with 4 homes in the kinds of places I thought I liked, and I did. That slowly changed. As I grew older the constant maintenance, and then maintenance costs as I got to where I couldn't do them, became an irritation. Then I started staying in an RV park to access some kind of attraction I wanted to see/do here and there. I hated it....then it sort of grew on me.....sort of.

Others have their experiences and I'm sure they will chime in but I just don't see putting out the kind of money you need for that "coastal cottage" on/near the water (think 4-500k start) for a place you come to occasionally and a thousand a month+ for taxes/insurance etc. even when you aren't here. For that I would want to be here for all my free time and I don't - and that's what I found in my prior "vacation home" experiences.

RV costs and experiences run the gamut. You can spend 500mo. on a site or 2k. If you want on/close to the beach the prices go up. If the owner/developer throws in a palm tree or 3 in the landscape it goes up; "gated" it goes up; lazy river and a thousand things for kids to do it goes up; etc. I don't need/want any of those. Some places have a big rec house and weekend dances with bands, firepits and singalongs; I don't want any of those but some do. I like quiet. I like quiet, considerate folks. The tidal ponds are across the street from me and the bay is 2-3 blocks. That's good enough for me. The guys sell fish and oysters about 2 blocks the other way.

IMO an RV offers you the ability to experience and literally be part of the community when you stay a while without the exorbitant costs associated with trying to buy/own property in a place with elevated property pricing. Very complicated to hash out and I wish you the best trying to navigate it. PM me if there is any way I might be able to help.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:13 PM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Jasin I wouldn't. I've talked about it, looked at homes, properties etc. Even this trip after all these years I was talking to a realtor and looking at homes. Seems I keep thinking a "place" would be better than coming here in an RV but there are so many "cons" I just can't do it.

"On the water", "near the water"; the stipulations on insurance here get crazy. If you buy a property it has to meet the "new" guidelines (flood/hurricane) to get insurance. If not, you buy uninsured. I've looked at the old FL coastal homes; cinderblock, concrete floors and that's about it. Hurricane hits, house floods, drains and then you clean it out. Some are pretty sparse. Nicer ones are about 13' in the air and that's required for insurance on a new buy as we were told. My daughter lived in one....my knees hated it. Get out of the flood plain and things change but then I'd rather be in an RV generally.

I was one that said I would never own an RV for an extended stay, they were for short "vacation" trips to the nether regions. To that end I wound up with 4 homes in the kinds of places I thought I liked, and I did. That slowly changed. As I grew older the constant maintenance, and then maintenance costs as I got to where I couldn't do them, became an irritation. Then I started staying in an RV park to access some kind of attraction I wanted to see/do here and there. I hated it....then it sort of grew on me.....sort of.

Others have their experiences and I'm sure they will chime in but I just don't see putting out the kind of money you need for that "coastal cottage" on/near the water (think 4-500k start) for a place you come to occasionally and a thousand a month+ for taxes/insurance etc. even when you aren't here. For that I would want to be here for all my free time and I don't - and that's what I found in my prior "vacation home" experiences.

RV costs and experiences run the gamut. You can spend 500mo. on a site or 2k. If you want on/close to the beach the prices go up. If the owner/developer throws in a palm tree or 3 in the landscape it goes up; "gated" it goes up; lazy river and a thousand things for kids to do it goes up; etc. I don't need/want any of those. Some places have a big rec house and weekend dances with bands, firepits and singalongs; I don't want any of those but some do. I like quiet. I like quiet, considerate folks. The tidal ponds are across the street from me and the bay is 2-3 blocks. That's good enough for me. The guys sell fish and oysters about 2 blocks the other way.

IMO an RV offers you the ability to experience and literally be part of the community when you stay a while without the exorbitant costs associated with trying to buy/own property in a place with elevated property pricing. Very complicated to hash out and I wish you the best trying to navigate it. PM me if there is any way I might be able to help.
Well thank you for the detailed response..I made some calls today out of curiosity and the insurance part is expensive…I live on the water in MD and have flood insurance but it’s not as expensive as in the keys or most places in Florida. Also need wind insurance
Really have to think it through..my wife and I enjoy the rv and I’d probably be happy with a rv site to purchase if that was a viable option.

Maybe just look into land for sale without rv restrictions But a decent rv resort even if it was 2 k a month for 4 months out of the year isn’t so bad just to test the waters

If we buy it would be a joint venture between us and our kids
Old 04-07-2022, 05:14 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I'm not a snowbird but I'll give you my opinion.
I don't think I could handle the crowded typical RV park. Give me a cottage with a view of something other than the neighbors RV dump hose.
Sourdough might have a more educated opinion.
Yeah I would want a little space or some trees or shrubs between sites
Old 04-07-2022, 08:47 PM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Brian, We vacationed in Florida for 30 years or more. Started tent camping in the Keys and west coast and ran the gauntlet from tent to TT to a few fifthwheels and finally a park model. For us all were great for snowbirding but when it came to year round, Florida summer storms can be scary in a tin can on wheels. The boss didn't want to travel any more so we sold our home at the NJ shore and bought a concrete block home with just about everything "Hurricane rated" a few miles from the Gulf. Cost of living is much lower than NJ but in the past five years homes have more than doubled and anything livable is sold in a few days for more than asking price.

In short, If I were snowbirding we would be in an RV or park model but full timing was not for us. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 02:01 AM   #7
notanlines

Go ahead and buy a home on the water in Florida. Know how any people show for happy hour in your neighborhood? You and Momma. We had 24 Wednesday night. The difference is night and day. Most of your neighbors won't know you. RV'ers lives are different.....in a good way.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 02:56 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Jasin I failed to mention something that could be a consideration for you. You mentioned kids; are you looking to all come at once? If so an RV is going to get REALLY cramped really fast. With us and puppy we feel a little cramped as it is (probably because I'm so messy). Some of the folks that come here also have/bring family. They work their situations out in various ways including the family that's RVless staying in a motel somewhere for a few days.

Another thing you mentioned is the Keys (I think you just went there didn't you?). Think about where you want to be in FL. The lifestyles and experiences run the gamut. Fishing, wildlife, quiet or wild LIFE (night life), rowdy folks, shoulder to shoulder crowds; you can find them all and with an RV you can sample around to find what you like then settle into an RV park that fits what you like. For us the Keys were "different" (Key West, the rest were pretty but crowded) and pretty but a "one and done" for us - I like the Everglades better.....I get along pretty good with gators and eagles.

One thing to know is that if you want to be on the water there will be people. Depending on the area, they won't just be neighbors. Was just out at a point with puppy Sunday, lots of nice homes (private property). The beach access points (3) were totally packed and cars were parked up and down the road, in drives, in front of houses etc. Sheriff's dept. was out with 2 officers and 2 tow trucks citing and towing off vehicles along with dealing with the unhappy, trespassing vehicle owners. That is some of what you will get to deal with if you aren't careful buying property.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:12 AM   #9
RickV

I know you are talking about beachfront property but, if you get away from the coastal counties insurance becomes pretty reasonable.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:07 AM   #10
dutchmensport

We all love our kids and we all think they are all above reproach. But, kids do leave mom and dad holding the bag and then parents are screwed. They promise the moon and then don't deliver in action. If you engage in such an adventure, be financially prepared to handle the ENTIRE cost of everything yourself.

I worked in the Student Loan industry as a call center agent. It was unbelievable how many parents took loans out on their kids and the story was always the same. The kids promised on their lives they'd pay back the loan so Mom and Dad would never have to pay anything. Just the opposite. Mom and Dad are paying the loan, and the kids have never paid anything.

Whenever you go "in together" with anyone else on a financial adventure, if you cannot cover the entire expenses yourself 100%, then don't do it.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:29 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Everyone has their own desires and prefrences. I was an avid boater when I meet my DW. Her family had justed given up their their seasonal camping spot and was selling their camping. I had a diffrent "camping" experience" with tenting or just using a sleeping bag in the mountians.

We talked about buying a cabin in the mountians or a condo at the beach. What stopped us? First reason, we both like to see different places. Second was the "manage from afar" issue. It costs money, lots of it to have a managment company rent your property and maintain it. If you don’t rent it then are you going to let it set vacant for months on end? You may show up to squatters living in it.

DW and I rented a lot of beach houses and condos over the years. Once our daughters started theiir families we rented beach houses with enough bedrooms so when I made coffee and watched the news in the morning I wasn't stepping on bodies. We like visiting different towns or even different sections sections of towns we've been to before. There's still a sense of adventure staying at the beach walking to a little cafe, carryout, or resturant.

If you are considering renting the property be prepared to use it off season. For FL I thinks that August. My DW's one brother and his wife own a condo in OC, MD. Covid killed all his rental income when it hit but has also lost money due to major weather events. Like anything there's positive and there's less than positive sides to everything.

My only advice is to move into any decision like that carefully. I know visiting Key West can be intoxicating, especially when you have family join but spending days vs weeks often "reduces the shine on the new penny". My other bit of advice is don't make joint financial investments with family or freinds. Money, or arguments over it, has been a MAJOR point of contention that's lead to more than one dissolution of relations.

I wish you great sucess in your decision.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:56 AM   #12
jasin1

Thanks for all the replies…I’m going to look more at seasonal sites and possibly buying a rv site.
We do like to travel and see different places but want to get away to someplace warmer in the winter. The rv site is attractive because you know what your getting every year and could just sell it if it loses its appeal. Usually bigger sites and some nicer landscaping.

I am thinking of upgrading to a toy hauler for extra room and ease of bringing kayaks,bikes etc..son or daughter would have the space when they visit but our cougar has been so good I’m a little hesitant to try my luck again
Old 04-08-2022, 05:23 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

We've got friends that do a "charter fishing business" on the Great Lakes during the summers and then take their boat to Florida during the winter. They've got a leased (or rented) berthing space in a harbor/marina in the Keys. They do charter tours and fishing trips while there, have a small car and a few things that they store in a "rented storage garage" at a local storage site when they leave for the season.

They considered buying a house, an RV, but decided, "we live on the boat all summer, why move out and leave it in a marina?"

Works for them...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:24 AM   #14
gearhead

To mitigate the costs and crowds what about some other coastal state? Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas? I would suggest Texas but it's a long drive for you.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:30 AM   #15
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We've got friends that do a "charter fishing business" on the Great Lakes during the summers and then take their boat to Florida during the winter. They've got a leased (or rented) berthing space in a harbor in the Keys. They do charter tours and fishing trips while there, have a small car and a few things that they store in a "rented storage garage" at a local storage site when they leave for the season.

They considered buying a house, an RV, but decided, "we live on the boat all summer, why move out and leave it in a marina?"

Works for them...
We talked about taking one of the boats down there for a year or two..the Marina prices are really really high. …it’s hard to spend money to tie up your boat when I don’t normally have to do that ever lol

I schucked oysters when I was a young man and never had to buy any,My FIL was a part time commercial crabber so I never had to buy steamed crabs either….now it’s REALLY hard for me to pay for those things lol.
I do pay for winter storage begrudgingly
Any other seafood isn’t a problem but when you get something for free for so long …well it’s just hard

It would be nice being right on the water…nice hearing waves lapping against the hull

Also my son has a 50 ton captains license and a fishing guide license up here..that would be his dream job down there
Old 04-08-2022, 05:33 AM   #16
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
To mitigate the costs and crowds what about some other coastal state? Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas? I would suggest Texas but it's a long drive for you.
My son is talking about SC also, Murrells inlet …one of our neighbors just moved there. Might be an option
Old 04-08-2022, 06:45 AM   #17
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Thanks for all the replies…I’m going to look more at seasonal sites and possibly buying a rv site.
We do like to travel and see different places but want to get away to someplace warmer in the winter. The rv site is attractive because you know what your getting every year and could just sell it if it loses its appeal. Usually bigger sites and some nicer landscaping.

I am thinking of upgrading to a toy hauler for extra room and ease of bringing kayaks,bikes etc..son or daughter would have the space when they visit but our cougar has been so good I’m a little hesitant to try my luck again
Back in 2004 we bought 2.5 acres of land on the side of a mountain near Franklin NC we had planned to build a small retirement home when we retired. Fast forward 5 or 6 years and we started RVing, and decided over the last few years that why should we limited ourselves to one spot. The property is nice has great views but access is slightly difficult,it would be hard to get even a small RV up there. We have put it up for sale. I would not be against finding a small parcel with water, power and sewer (septic) that we could get our 5ver on as we typically spend September and October in that area.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:50 AM   #18
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Jasin I failed to mention something that could be a consideration for you. You mentioned kids; are you looking to all come at once? If so an RV is going to get REALLY cramped really fast. With us and puppy we feel a little cramped as it is (probably because I'm so messy). Some of the folks that come here also have/bring family. They work their situations out in various ways including the family that's RVless staying in a motel somewhere for a few days.

Another thing you mentioned is the Keys (I think you just went there didn't you?). Think about where you want to be in FL. The lifestyles and experiences run the gamut. Fishing, wildlife, quiet or wild LIFE (night life), rowdy folks, shoulder to shoulder crowds; you can find them all and with an RV you can sample around to find what you like then settle into an RV park that fits what you like. For us the Keys were "different" (Key West, the rest were pretty but crowded) and pretty but a "one and done" for us - I like the Everglades better.....I get along pretty good with gators and eagles.

One thing to know is that if you want to be on the water there will be people. Depending on the area, they won't just be neighbors. Was just out at a point with puppy Sunday, lots of nice homes (private property). The beach access points (3) were totally packed and cars were parked up and down the road, in drives, in front of houses etc. Sheriff's dept. was out with 2 officers and 2 tow trucks citing and towing off vehicles along with dealing with the unhappy, trespassing vehicle owners. That is some of what you will get to deal with if you aren't careful buying property.
Some of the places around Maryland have started embracing the whole idea that private property is not set in stone…some waterfront oriented neighborhoods that had water access for the community homeowners around Annapolis have started to push back and demand access.
Even though MD has many state parks on the water.

One community that my mother lived in below Annapolis suddenly had their community beach opened up to the public after something like 80 to 100 years of private use…the activists and politicians said it was allowed illegally when it originated…all those homeowners paid house prices and taxes based on the private water access and location.

Now the neighborhood is filled with cars from DC every weekend and parking all over the place. They don’t pay anything or have to clean up when they leave

We had a family of transients come walking through are isolated neighborhood one day last year and they just walked through someone’s yard and went out on the pier to “relax” when a neighbor confronted them they just laughed and walked away.

My cousin lives next to a small river popular with tubers that has become quite the popular place from people south of the border. Same thing ..they park everywhere and anywhere and leave trash behind….one day she was in the pool with her kids and a family walked out of the woods and across her 1 acre lot right by her pool to get to their car…she was like wtf but they just ignored her

My waterfront neighborhood has a lot of big party’s and summer homes..total strangers want to just pull in your yard and park without asking..
I don’t mind if someone asks but I’m not happy if you just feel entitled
Old 04-08-2022, 08:34 AM   #19
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
My waterfront neighborhood has a lot of big party’s and summer homes..total strangers want to just pull in your yard and park without asking..
I don’t mind if someone asks but I’m not happy if you just feel entitled
I think you'll get great satisfaction if you watch this video! It's great. Maybe your neighbor can adapt and, do something similar that won't break any zoning rules!

Old 04-08-2022, 01:20 PM   #20
CedarCreekWoody

I'm sure you know but homes usually appreciate in value, RVs depreciate.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter