Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2022, 04:11 PM   #21
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Firestation, I believe your statement "Some dealers are being pressured by the manufacturer, to add premiums to sticker prices" is completely false. Just the opposite is true. All three majors have come out publicly threatening franchises of those adding the bonus money.

I know for a fact, Henry Brown GMC in Queen Creek received negative attention from GM for undercutting Phoenix area dealerships. I'd be interested in seeing anything in print to the contrary.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:30 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
I've never paid a "down payment" to order a vehicle. I know of a few persons that have made a profit off of buying a new vehicle, then finding a buyer willing to pay a premium to "get it now". Some dealers are being pressured by the manufacturer, to add premiums to sticker prices. Given the rapid rise in new and used vehicle prices, and the shortage of inventory, the OP may have done the dealership a favor by cancelling the sale.

I know for a fact, Henry Brown GMC in Queen Creek received negative attention from GM for undercutting Phoenix area dealerships. I'd be interested in seeing anything in print to the contrary.
Quite the opposite according to previous threads. Here's one: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=50220

As for Henry Brown GMC, there are likely some "extenuating circumstances" that either muddy the water or what was reported may not be completely accurate... ??

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:59 PM   #23
Badbart56

I'd be talking to a lawyer. Breach of contract.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:04 AM   #24
JBM3M

I would think if you had a signed contract that you have a lawsuit. If you don't have a signed contract, good for you walking away. Eff them anal pores.

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 01:42 PM   #25
Tom-67X

That's just really, really wrong pard. SMH, heavy sigh, and all that in sympathy.
Tom-67X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 01:59 PM   #26
firestation12

More dealer overpricing source

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Quite the opposite according to previous threads. Here's one: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=50220

As for Henry Brown GMC, there are likely some "extenuating circumstances" that either muddy the water or what was reported may not be completely accurate... ??

This is from post #9 from the link above:

This was posted on Carpro USA today:

The Jeep Wrangler, Ford Maverick hybrid and Porsche Macan are the new vehicles priced the highest over MSRP, according to new data from iSeeCars.com. These higher prices stem from production shutdowns and the ongoing microchip shortage which have both drastically lowered new car inventory, something Car Pro Show host Jerry Reynold has been talking about on the show for months.
iSeeCars says as demand continues to exceed the supply of new cars, dealers are pricing new cars above MSRP (Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price) and removing new car incentives. Here's a look at what to expect in Car Pro Show markets:
Average Price Increases Above MSRP by City - iSeeCars
  • Austin:

According to iSeeCars' recent analysis of 1.2 million new car listings, the average new vehicle is priced 9.9 percent above MSRP, and ALL new vehicles have average prices that are above MSRP. Additionally, researchers say some new vehicles are priced well above the 9.9 percent average.
iSeeCars Executive Analyst Karl Brauer says the higher MSRP on specific models is offsetting lower volume sales due to inventory issues. Brauer also says car shoppers are paying the higher price for in-demand vehicles to get what they want and avoid a length wait.
Here are top 15 cars with the highest price increases that range from 1.9 to 2.7 times above the 9.9 percent average for all vehicles.
New Cars Priced the Highest Over MSRP - iSeeCars

Rank
Vehicle
% Above MSRP
$ Above MSRP
Jeep Wrangler
26.7%
$8,925
Ford Maverick (Hybrid)
25.0%
$5,601
Porsche Macan
23.3%
$13,254
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
22.9%
$9,534
Jeep Gladiator
22.5%
$9,824
Ford Maverick
22.2%
$5,368
Lexus RX 450h
21.0%
$10,365
Ford Bronco
20.6%
$7,783
Genesis GV70
20.0%
$8,611
Mercedes-Benz GLB
19.8%
$7,992
Chevrolet Corvette
19.3%
$15,218
Ford Mustang
19.1%
$6,941
MINI Countryman
18.9%
$6,325
Lexus RX 350L
18.6%
$9,242
Mercedes-Benz GLA
18.6%
$7,142
Overall Average
9.9%
$3,753

Jeep Wrangler

The vehicle you'll pay the most for above MSRP right now is the Jeep Wrangler, which is priced 26.7 percent or $8,925 over MSRP. It’s joined by its four-door version, the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and its pickup variant, the Jeep Gladiator. Demand continues to exceed supply for these vehicles. iSeeCars also says the Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited are also among the cars that hold their value best due to their ruggedness and enthusiastic fan base.
Ford Maverick and Bronco

Both the Ford Maverick hybrid and its gasoline version appear on the list. Dealers stopped taking order for the new Maverick in January (they're expected to open back up this summer.) Ford's new Bronco also makes the list as it remains high in demand since its debut last year. iSeeCars says Ford's closed order books for it, for the rest of 2022.
Porsche Macan

The Porsche Macan, the brand's best-selling model, is third on the list with a 23.3 percent markup over its MSRP. It's also one of the priciest models in its class.
SUVs

Five additional luxury SUVs make the list:
Sports Cars

The Chevrolet Corvette and Ford Mustang are on the list as well. The new Corvette launched in 2020 and demand remains high for the first mid-engine model. The Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 special edition is Ford’s most powerful production car ever and iSeeCars says the popularity of the high-performance trim contributes to the model’s price increase.
MINI

Rounding out the list is the MINI Countryman subcompact SUV. iSeeCars says high gas prices have likely fueled its popularity.
For more on the study visit iSeeCars.com.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:01 PM   #27
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Oak, I know it doesn’t help at this point, but I have heard of this same issue a lot lately. As you know, we just reached the end of our new truck odyssey, but we learned a lot along the way.

When we put a deposit down, we had a price agreement locked-in in writing, made the deposit by credit card, and provided a copy of my drivers license on the deposit paperwork. Although Ford did do a price increase after we placed our order and although they stopped accepting orders with most of the options we wanted, in the end we got the truck we wanted at the price agreed.

Along our journey, we have been witness to many dealers acting in shady, if not downright unethical, bordering on criminal behavior. Their attitude is as you experienced; if you don’t want it, we can sell to any of the 10 people in line behind you, and they will pay more. My truck was mine long before it showed up on any public searches a couple of weeks ago, but as of this morning, the dealer has had 48 separate inquiries to buy my truck…..thankfully it is sitting here in my driveway safe and sound away from prying eyes.
Yep crazy stuff going on. Ordered my truck in sept 2021. Just received notice it is in production and a window sticker has been created. Check it and found base price increased by 2,000. Contacted fords the original price when ordered will be honored. Other issues bead liner will have to be done by dealer no problem. Other issues they don’t have option of 5th wheel hitch. So will be done also by dealer. Problem option when ordered was 500.00. Now that dealer has to do it 1500.00.
Big problem now.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:58 PM   #28
wegone

If your purchase contract said AWD, then its theirs to swallow.

I have purchased all my airline tickets early for this year, because I know the fuel will raise the seats soon, and it's my seat.
They do have a disclaimer that my "seat" can be changed, but nothing about added fuel tax, etc.

Funny thing some folks DO CARE, last night at the grocery store (small privately owned store) the clerk wanted to make sure I wanted to buy the head of iceberg lettuce because it was $5.99.....

I just laughed and said I'll eat this week, buy gas next week.

Chances are prices will fall, I'll be 70 January next year. I've seen it happen many times through my life.

These guys will get stuck when the correction comes, and that's when folks won't buy from them even if they are almost giving it away....
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 04:05 AM   #29
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post

Well that's true but to what end?

The lawyer would cost more than the price gouge, and I would still be stuck doing business with unethical people who I just might need to deal with again in the future if warranty work was needed.
Life experience has taught me you do not get quality work from someone who is doing it while under duress.
Much better for me to have taken my money back, to move on.

As Woody Guthrie once said "There's more pretty girls than one."
and so to are there more dealerships than one and there are some ethical ones out there. I just didn't find one when I went to do business. Luck of the draw. With the rising cost of money I am better off keeping my 2019 anyway, the purchase was much more of a "want" than a "need".

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 04:18 AM   #30
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Yep crazy stuff going on. Ordered my truck in sept 2021. Just received notice it is in production and a window sticker has been created. Check it and found base price increased by 2,000. Contacted fords the original price when ordered will be honored. Other issues bead liner will have to be done by dealer no problem. Other issues they don’t have option of 5th wheel hitch. So will be done also by dealer. Problem option when ordered was 500.00. Now that dealer has to do it 1500.00.
Big problem now.
Sorry to hear that. Someone is going to make more on this vehicle.
From the things I have been reading about quality and missing parts even if I had gone to take delivery of the vehicle I would have gone over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything worked as advertised. Ford has already started shipping Explorers out unfinished. Say they will supply the missing parts once they are available, in the meantime drive around in the summer sun without the rear air-conditioner working.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 04:44 AM   #31
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
Well that's true but to what end?

The lawyer would cost more than the price gouge, and I would still be stuck doing business with unethical people who I just might need to deal with again in the future if warranty work was needed.
Life experience has taught me you do not get quality work from someone who is doing it while under duress.
Much better for me to have taken my money back, to move on.
As long as there is no punishment for screwing people over it will continue. Much like politics right?

I knew of a similar incident when I lived in Jacksonville, Florida. Not a truck but a boat. The dealer made a deal with another LEO I worked with and apparently someone else made a better offer so the boat was sold to the other party. Long story short, letters were written by my buddy's attorney and the boat dealer agreed to sell him a boat of greater value at the same price as the first one to avoid going to court.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:01 AM   #32
NH_Bulldog

Right now some dealers are exhibiting poor ethics and there will come a day of reckoning.

I have a dealership 2 miles from my house but they wanted $7,500 over sticker for anything on the lot, in transit or that I would order. No X-Plan and in the past has provided terrible service.

So I went 90 minutes away to a dealer who did not charge a “market” adjustment, no high pressure sale tactics, a real decent price for my trade and was hands-down the best vehicle purchase experience I have ever had. That dealership earned my business, earned my high recommendation to others and earned my next vehicle purchase.

I have a long memory and through the entire (lengthy) process to finally get our new truck home, I saw the true nature of a lot of dealerships and will avoid them in the future. Since we are an RV forum, I will tie this in to buying a new RV, the same rules apply to RV dealers.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:57 AM   #33
wiredgeorge

Quote:
As long as there is no punishment for screwing people over it will continue. Much like politics right?

I knew of a similar incident when I lived in Jacksonville, Florida. Not a truck but a boat. The dealer made a deal with another LEO I worked with and apparently someone else made a better offer so the boat was sold to the other party. Long story short, letters were written by my buddy's attorney and the boat dealer agreed to sell him a boat of greater value at the same price as the first one to avoid going to court.
Punishment will come when supply and pricing gets back to normal; may take a couple years given the many issues induced by the current crop of politicians but when it does folks will remember which dealership stuck a finger in their eye. I will not buy or have service done by a local Ford dealer who pulled a fast one on me a few years ago. Just not a good way to sustain a profitable business.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 05:48 PM   #34
RK1978

Try buying anything farm or industrial related. Fertilizer has tripled in price in less than a year if you can get it. No one will give a price until it is delivered. The days of locking in a price for next year are gone unless you can store the product yourself. All sorts of equipment is in a similar situation-order now for 2024 delivery and hope the price doesn't go up too much by then. Herbicides same, seed not quite so bad. Glad I am retired.
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:58 AM   #35
pdaniel

Quote:
I suggest the same. Where I live if a sales contract for a motor vehicle being sold by a dealer, new or used, is signed and held with a deposit or earnest money it is a done deal whether the dealer gets the shaft or the buyer.
I don’t think I would have given in so easily.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:24 AM   #36
Scttw

Well, something BULLDOG said on page 1 caught my eye. I ordered a 2022 F-150 in December, put 3K down on it.

No difference at delivery last week. Rates are higher but they gave me the 1.99 shown in December.

But here is the difference - it's all done in the Ford computer software system, all the details of what I purchased is listed, I also Got 4x4 and it's listed. Doing this manually is the only way they could make a mistake like that.

So the moral of the story is ..... BUY A FORD
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:03 AM   #37
Pete54401

Recently retired after 43 years selling primarily Ford/Lincoln. Ordered many many thousands of new vehicles for customers. ALWAYS had a purchase contract signed by both sides, ALWAYS had a down payment, and ALWAYS had a copy of the specifications SIGNED confirming the accuracy of what I was ordering. Contracts protect both sides and are legally binding. I did a lot of business long distance never meeting some customers at all but between the pony express, email and fax machines these are just as good as a face to face meeting. If indeed you have it "all in writing" you need to push this with the store owner and not a manager. If however this "agreement" was verbal and no documents were signed, I'm sorry to say you have no leg to stand on.
Pete54401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:19 AM   #38
Life-in-Him

things will repeat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
If your purchase contract said AWD, then its theirs to swallow.

I have purchased all my airline tickets early for this year, because I know the fuel will raise the seats soon, and it's my seat.
They do have a disclaimer that my "seat" can be changed, but nothing about added fuel tax, etc.

Funny thing some folks DO CARE, last night at the grocery store (small privately owned store) the clerk wanted to make sure I wanted to buy the head of iceberg lettuce because it was $5.99.....

I just laughed and said I'll eat this week, buy gas next week.

Chances are prices will fall, I'll be 70 January next year. I've seen it happen many times through my life.

These guys will get stuck when the correction comes, and that's when folks won't buy from them even if they are almost giving it away....
2X 3X
as you implied 'we the fermented ones" have seen it before.
Like an every 20 year cycle
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent