Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2022, 06:02 AM   #1
jasin1

Having a backup plan

Learned a good lesson this morning…always fill my fresh water tank when I get to a campground. Doesn’t matter if it’s full hookup or not….guy next to me in a class A was leaving the campground here in the keys this morning and drove over the waterline junction box…burst pipe…no water in the campground now for several hours…looks like they will have it fixed soon but will always be prepared for now on.

I also left my generator home because I am only staying at full hookups this trip…I will be prepared for anything going forward. Never know when park will lose power or water…might get a water bladder also and pump …just in case
Old 03-31-2022, 06:25 AM   #2
notanlines

Many years as a Boy Scout and a scoutmaster has taught me that the motto "Be prepared" extends into every facet of life. However, the water bladder and pump might be a stretch! We all hope y'all are enjoying the Florida sun and beaches.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 06:48 AM   #3
dutchmensport

I think I'm a step ahead of you. Regardless of campground, I always carry my 35 gallon water container from Tractor Supply Company and an AC transfer pump with a 400 watt inverter I keep in the truck (which works very well for the transfer pump when I don't have AC electricity available).

I always fill my fresh water tank and never use shore water exclusively. (no threat of over pressurizing water lines this way). I always have my 32 gallon Barker Blue Sewer Tote and always have lots of extra sewer hoses. It's good I did, because the last campout we did (2 weeks ago).... two of my older hoses broke a leak. What a mess. but I had replacements. And since, made it back to Wall Mart and purchased 2 more new ones as replacements.

In addition, I also carry at least 1 generator (I have 2 I run in parallel for 50 amp), but in cooler weather, we don't need air conditioning, so 1 generator on 30 amp works well. We need to make sure we have power, regardless. My wife is still working full time (Computer Information Technology) and we need to keep computers and routers and internet working. I'm retired from all of that now, but I need to keep her going. So, we don't take chances of power outages, ever.

We also have a non-electric coffee pot to use on the propane stove top in the event of power outages too (or to use over a campfire). We have an electric percolator, but "always be prepared" for the worst. .... Right?

We even carry toilet paper with us. You may think that's really odd, but 2 years ago I installed Bidets in the house and the camper. No need for toilet paper at all in 2 years. But... just in case .... be prepared ... we keep a 4 pack stowed away in the camper.

We've experienced campground power outages, campground water line failures, campground flooding (and we had to evacuate), automobile breakdowns and camper breakdowns. There has to be a contingency plan for everything. We've learned never to anchor down the camper anywhere so tight, we can't be completely packed and on the road within 30 minutes, have enough cash available in the event a credit card or bank card doesn't work, and enough money in reserves, so, in the worst case scenario ... we can always drive straight home.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:54 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

I carry a few spares and an extra roll of toilet paper and an extra sewer hose and can change a tire. I think a lot of the adventure in camping is the ability to improvise, adapt and overcome. (I was in the Army and not a Marine but they got that slogan right!). Trying to plan for every possible contingency gives me a headache. Camping is supposed to be fun and not a survivalist struggle.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 06:59 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I guess I'm at the other end of the spectrum. Years past I did carry every conceivable means of redundancy for water (fresh water tank), power (generator) etc. These days I am always prepared but I don't worry about carrying tons of "what if" stuff. I carry cash and credit cards. We've had power and water outages. Nothing has lasted over 4 hours.

In the event of an outage of an extended duration (long enough I worry about the res fridge completely defrosting) it will probably be due to some sort of natural disaster and I'll be gone, with or without the trailer (preferably with). I do carry all kinds of tools and equipment to cover for any kind of mechanical failure but as for the other kinds of shortages....I can drive and go find what I need if that level of extreme action is required.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:03 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I guess I'm at the other end of the spectrum. Years past I did carry every conceivable means of redundancy for water (fresh water tank), power (generator) etc. These days I am always prepared but I don't worry about carrying tons of "what if" stuff. I carry cash and credit cards. We've had power and water outages. Nothing has lasted over 4 hours.

In the event of an outage of an extended duration (long enough I worry about the res fridge completely defrosting) it will probably be due to some sort of natural disaster and I'll be gone, with or without the trailer (preferably with). I do carry all kinds of tools and equipment to cover for any kind of mechanical failure but as for the other kinds of shortages....I can drive and go find them if that level of extreme action is required.
Exactly how much cash do you carry? My wife lets me carry up $7 US and figures I would just get into trouble with more than that in my pocket. BTW: I don't carry a credit card; I only use my debit card because if I don't have money to spend, I don't spend it.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:35 AM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Many years as a Boy Scout and a scoutmaster has taught me that the motto "Be prepared" extends into every facet of life. However, the water bladder and pump might be a stretch! We all hope y'all are enjoying the Florida sun and beaches.
Yes the Florida sun has been has been great! Took a few days to get down here stopping off in NC,GA, east cost of FL and a week in the keys and same schedule back. My son flew down for 4 days so it’s been nice. Renting a boat tomorrow to get out to the reef and maybe some fishing.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:36 AM   #8
jasin1

So the consensus is be prepared but not overly prepared.

And George you are probably the smartest one with living a simpler life. I do envy that freedom.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:42 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Exactly how much cash do you carry? My wife lets me carry up $7 US and figures I would just get into trouble with more than that in my pocket. BTW: I don't carry a credit card; I only use my debit card because if I don't have money to spend, I don't spend it.

I carry whatever cash I need/want and neither of us spend "because we have it". I don't, and won't, use a debit card. They are the quickest and easiest way to have your bank account drained by a miscreant. I was advised of that by my bank president many years ago. He suggested always use a credit card and if it was compromised it was much easier to 1) stop the charges and 2) get your account credited vs all the red tape that would be involved trying to get the bank to give back your money. I had an Amex card stolen before and I can say that it is pretty much painless to get it all squared away and didn't cost me a thing - they are great to work with.

As far as "credit" card meaning you don't have the money, that's a wrong assumption. Amex gives me very generous credit lines and they are paid in full every month because I DO have that money in the bank so it's of no consequence to me what goes on there. On the other hand, in addition to the protection, putting everything on the credit card is an excellent way to track ALL of your spending vs trying to reconcile bank statements as we did for decades. JMO
Old 03-31-2022, 07:58 AM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
I carry whatever cash I need/want and neither of us spend "because we have it". I don't, and won't, use a debit card. They are the quickest and easiest way to have your bank account drained by a miscreant. I was advised of that by my bank president many years ago. He suggested always use a credit card and if it was compromised it was much easier to 1) stop the charges and 2) get your account credited vs all the red tape that would be involved trying to get the bank to give back your money. I had an Amex card stolen before and I can say that it is pretty much painless to get it all squared away and didn't cost me a thing - they are great to work with.

As far as "credit" card meaning you don't have the money, that's a wrong assumption. Amex gives me very generous credit lines and they are paid in full every month because I DO have that money in the bank so it's of no consequence to me what goes on there. On the other hand, in addition to the protection, putting everything on the credit card is an excellent way to track ALL of your spending vs trying to reconcile bank statements as we did for decades. JMO

Yep that only happened to me once. Took a couple grand from a bank account and took me like 10 days to get it back years ago. I also only leave a certain amount in my checking account for the same reason. With online banking I can move things around on a few min if need to…and mine was a check card Visa card …the only difference was MY money was on the line in case of fraud. Not the visa lol
Old 03-31-2022, 08:05 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, I keep a set level in the checking acct. which is the only one I have a debit card or checks to. Like you I have other accts. that I can move things online if I need to but try to keep from accessing the accts. when traveling if possible.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:27 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:

I didn't imply you didn't have the money so you spent on credit. What I was saying is that I never have the urge or ability to spend more than what is in my checking account. The missus used to reconcile our checking account and still does. Puts all checks into that ledger thing in a checkbook. I only use my business debit card and there is seldom enough money in that account to get excited about theft. I move money from checking to savings when it gets over a certain amount as I have had my card hacked. My credit unit is great for monitoring and I get a call when a suspicious charge comes in and they turn off the card and always refund me whatever amount was not my charge. They call me when they see an out of town charge (like when we travel) to ensure it is me. Everyone has ways of dealing with money and while I consider myself a generous person, I am also kind of careful and a tightwad.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:56 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Being prepared in wholly dependent on circumstance. Being prepared for "every contingacy" would require a very well stocked underground bunker with plans in place to resupply after the event that made you go there.

We run with water in the FW tank for the toilet and washing hands on the road. We typically have enough food & drink for7 to 10 days and a months supply of medicine when we travel. Typically where we stay help isn't days away. I can make due with what we have for several days if necessary. I can deal with an "inconvenience for several hours or overnight. A disaster is another case and then I'd switch into escape/preservaion mode. If that means leave the trailer to hual but then so be it.

Anything can happen but the "typical" unforseen disaster I think would be tornados. A widespread outbreak can be devestation and impossible to predict with much warning. We don't travel in blizzards or hurricanes so that midigates a lot of risk. In my thinking, mental preparedness is the most important. Spacial and situational awareness is key. Being aware of my surroundings and avoiding trouble has saved me a lot of problems thru my life. With that said, when driving I know where my escape tool is, I know where my flashlight is, I know where my "ultimate defense tool" is, I don't have to look for any of that. So the idea, to me, is I'm prepared to escape and defend myself in doing so.

At home, it's an entirely different scenario. Our daughters often say that if there was an "impending apocalypse" that they would be heading to mom & dad's house. We aren't survivorlist but they know where thier best chance of survival is if things turn to total crap.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:36 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

In 2009, when we did our cross country trip, we started with $10,000.00 in travelers checks locked in a safe under the bed. Cashed as needed along the way. Cash for fuel got me a better price. Walmart was a good place to buy supplies and cash the checks.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:48 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

We always travel with at least a half full fresh water tank. We always start out with a FULL fresh water tank and along the way, as we use it, we refill. We NEVER let it get below half full...

One thing that Katrina taught us is to be prepared with alternate solutions !!!!!

We'd always thought, if we need a generator, we'd go buy one... WRONG !!! The closest generator to Alexandria/Pineville was in Dallas. But, we coudln't get gas to make it to Dallas...

Speaking of gas, if you did have a generator, there was no "run to the corner station and get 5 gallons of gas for the generator... If you didn't have it in your garage, you couldn't get it.... By "in the garage" I mean either in cans or in the car. Siphon it out of the car and you may not be able to get to the hospital if needed because there was no 911 to call and no ambulance service to provide transportation....

We always thought that if we needed supplies, we'd just use the debit card/credit card... WRONG !!! All the banking computers for the region were located in New Orleans. When they went down, the local bank ATM's went down. Go to the bank to withdraw cash? NOPE, their computers were all tied to New Orleans terminals.... So, the "friendly teller" would inform you that all accounts were frozen until they could sort it out.... That took about 4 weeks of sorting before we had limited access to our money....

So, back to RV's. In Steamboat Springs about 5 years ago, we pulled into the KOA, it was "only half full"... The reason: Their well pump had burned up and there was no water, no bath houses, no toilets and no place to fill an RV tank.... Didn't matter to us, we parked on the site we had reserved and paid for while others with no water were packing up to go elsewhere, all grumpy and stuff.....

Be prepared, but not paranoid about "what if" ..... there's a fine line between the two ....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:22 AM   #16
Balvar24

Another reason that I've found to fill the domestic tank is to be able to feel good about your black/grey tanks in campgrounds without a sewer hook up.

If my domestic water tank only holds 36 gallons, I can only put that much in my black/grey tank regardless of what the little red lights on the control panel say. If I run out of domestic, I know I may be getting tight on grey (also around 36 gallons).

We typically only stay 2-3 nights at most and move to another location, so I SHOULD be able to get by without a tote to drag to the dump station. With two kids, we can never be sure, and after a week or two on the road, I've had the lights get a little buggy.

I always like to have a little domestic water in the tank on long trips as well. Leaves me with options. I can make it a night with no power. But I need to be able to use the toilet.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 03:59 PM   #17
Gunny Mike

I just added a 30 gallon RV water tank into the bed of our truck as it seems we always run out. Wont use it for drinking though. If i need room in the bed i can always let it sit on a couch in our TT until we get to our boondocking location. I bought a small Lithuim 15AH battery for just pumping water so i dont have to lug around a heaviery battery.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:27 AM   #18
Nitehawk

you forgot about the bonus of using a credit card.. yes they can be dangerous if you do not pay off at the end of every pay period but if you they are the safest way to spend money for the various reason stated in the post. however i us my credit card because of the points that I accumulate and use those points to take the family (2adults 2 kids) on a winter vacation... I was able to do a 10 day vacation to Hawaii and it only cost me 1500 out of pocket. But like i stressed i pay it off every month so if I do not have the money in the bank i do not need the item
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote