Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2022, 08:08 AM   #1
Halcyon

Generator diverters

I have a couple of Powerhorse 2000 w generators. (Similar size and shape as the Hondas) Some of the locations I go to require diverters. I assumed that this pertained mostly to class A motorhomes whose generators exhaust right out the side, and putting a diverter on takes the exhaust up above the rig. When I use my portable generators I put them away from where I think the wind is coming from, and 10 to 20 feet from my 5th wheel. How would I divert the exhaust from these? Just add a pipe even further away? Is there such a thing?
Live at 7000 ft, CO
[/SIGPIC]]
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:30 AM   #2
dutchmensport

I would think you can use any kind of pipe as long it it can attach to your current exhault and it doesn't melt under the heat of the exhaust. It doesn't matter how the exhaust is run: up, over, under, around and around and around, as long as the pipe is not obstructed.

I've seen generators on board motor homes where the exhaust runs under the motor home and then up the side of the camper. Consider your automobile exhaust, it runs from the engine to the back of your car (vertical) for several feet. A diesel exhaust (big rigs), go straight up. I don't think it matters either if the pipe is 3 inches or 30 feet as long as the force of the engine can expel the exhaust unobstructed.
Old 03-30-2022, 09:42 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
I have a couple of Powerhorse 2000 w generators. (Similar size and shape as the Hondas) Some of the locations I go to require diverters. I assumed that this pertained mostly to class A motorhomes whose generators exhaust right out the side, and putting a diverter on takes the exhaust up above the rig. When I use my portable generators I put them away from where I think the wind is coming from, and 10 to 20 feet from my 5th wheel. How would I divert the exhaust from these? Just add a pipe even further away? Is there such a thing?
I'm confused... (seems to happen more frequently the older I get)...

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've never seen a requirement for a diverter on a portable generator. The only "rules about diverters" has been for permanently installed systems and the diverter requirement is to route exhaust out from under and up the side of the coach to a point "above the tallest adjacent vent/window"....

Take a look at the "requirement wording" again and see if there's a comment about "onboard generators" rather than "all generators"...

I could be way off base, but I'd suspect those rules are directed at permanently installed generators, not a stand alone generator used several feet away from the coach.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:46 AM   #4
Halcyon

What you thought is exactly what I thought. The dog agility trials we attend have dry camping in parking lots and have a blanket requirement stating “generator diverters must be used”. Since we are parked side by side and back to back, exhaust does tend to get blown in each other’s direction. I was interested in finding out if anyone has seen diverters on these portable generators, and how to attach them. The exhaust pipe coming out from my gens is only about an inch long, and the shell is only about a quarter inch away- not much room to attach a pipe to.
Live at 7000 ft, CO
[/SIGPIC]]
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator