Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 12:11 PM   #1
vampress_me

CA just doesn’t love diesel

I know this doesn’t necessarily apply to Keystones since they do not make diesel pushers, but CA is trying to outlaw more and more. I’m just curious when they are going to come after smaller truck engines since CARB is already regulating diesel semi engines.

https://camperreport.com/california-...el-motorhomes/

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
Old 03-19-2022, 02:23 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
I know this doesn’t necessarily apply to Keystones since they do not make diesel pushers, but CA is trying to outlaw more and more. I’m just curious when they are going to come after smaller truck engines since CARB is already regulating diesel semi engines.

https://camperreport.com/california-...el-motorhomes/

I’ve crossed that state off my list a few years back. Too many laws and regulations ( for the middle class)
It’s a shame as it has some beautiful places I’d love to see.

Would love to see some of the coastal towns …wife and daughter have been out there on trips and love it…who knows maybe it’s just me
Old 03-19-2022, 02:23 PM   #3
Badbart56

That should be a hoot. I wonder just how many commercial trucks enter California on a given day? It takes about an hour to do an inspection on a tractor trailer and the entry ports usually only have two inspection bays at each one, if that. So unless they plan on spending a few billion on facilities and inspectors it's gonna be the hit or miss inspections like they do now.

Either way, a lot of companies may decide not to deliver to these states that are making these decisions before they actually have a plan to replace diesel powered trucks with something that can even do the job. They're not even close and personally, I don't see it happening.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Old 03-19-2022, 02:26 PM   #4
bobbecky

California has already been regulating diesels for quite some time now. Our rig is 50 state certified, meaning is complies with California emissions, has the DPF and the DEF systems, and they also require testing. Just another reason to avoid the state.
Old 03-19-2022, 02:36 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Well, we had always talked about spending some time in CA (many years ago). Had family that lived there (since passed). Some pretty places. For obvious reasons several years ago we made the decision that it was a place we would never go to unless it "changed". Instead of changing for the better (common sense) looks like they are on a fast track to "major brain infarction"....yet again.
Old 03-19-2022, 02:54 PM   #6
rhagfo

Got to love statements like this one from the story.
I wonder if this person thinks how his food gets tone grocery store, or the materials to his local hardware store.
We spent the summer in the Columbia River Gorge, and the number and size of the trains passing through the gorge both ways is amazing. Semis on the highways are a drop in the bucket.

R. Reeves
says:
December 17, 2021 at 9:29 am
I live in California currently, and although I do believe there are WAY TOO MANY Semi’s on the road these days, and I don’t mind much about using electric powered lawn equipment, I’m thinking; “How is this going to affect California’s Farming Industry”? The farming industries rely on diesel fuel for most all of their equipment, and if not diesel, then it is gas. So… Where does that leave us on a Saturday night with our new high powered connections?! (J/k on that last sentence) Seriously though…We gotta eat!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 03-19-2022, 03:01 PM   #7
notanlines

Yeah, I’m for getting those darn semi’s off the road…..half of what he said made sense and half made me wonder if he wasn’t some nut-job.
Like Rhagfo asked, how do groceries get to market? In his world maybe Volkswagen bus…..
Old 03-19-2022, 03:14 PM   #8
JOEJ
Gone Traveling

I magically appears just ask AOC.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:53 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Yeah, I’m for getting those darn semi’s off the road…..half of what he said made sense and half made me wonder if he wasn’t some nut-job.
Like Rhagfo asked, how do groceries get to market? In his world maybe Volkswagen bus…..
How? Just ask most of these proponets that think "green energy" is an imediate solution. Golly, don't you know nuthin? Electricity comes from the plug in the wall and the stuff on the store shelves come from the back room! There, problem solved!
Old 03-19-2022, 05:44 PM   #10
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I’ve crossed that state off my list a few years back. Too many laws and regulations ( for the middle class)
It’s a shame as it has some beautiful places I’d love to see.

Would love to see some of the coastal towns …wife and daughter have been out there on trips and love it…who knows maybe it’s just me
We’ve done the same. Would like to go see the redwoods, Yosemite, etc. But, we won’t. I am glad DH worked out there for a few months long ago so we did get to see SF before it got so….different… and Alcatraz. Loved Alcatraz.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
Old 03-20-2022, 05:49 AM   #11
gearhead

I went to Navy boot camp in San Diego, then Electronics Tech school at Treasure Island (San Francisco). It was very different than Houston where I had spent my entire life. I thought long and hard about going back permanently. Several years later I got a serious offer from an oil company recruiter. By then I was married with kids. That put a different perspective on going to California. No way I wanted them growing up there. Pretty scenery? Yes. Good weather? Yes.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 03-20-2022, 06:27 AM   #12
Northofu1

Been to California once. Loved it, want to go back. Toured around SD, inland to palm springs for a day. Then up the PCH from SD One stop at Long beach for in n out burger (that was awesome), and ended trip in San Fran.
Sometimes people get mired in the muck of media. I don't care really what pop-society follows. I especially don't care about what the media prints, it's mostly lies and usually has ulterior motive or sponsors.

We have the same type of mind set up here of dumbass politicians, do gooders, millenials you name it. Hordes of people just want to belong to some group where someone has to be the leader. Be a follower, just make sure it's yourself.

Travel where you want, don't miss the beautiful things on the planet based on people, unless their armed and hostile.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Old 03-20-2022, 06:42 AM   #13
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I went to Navy boot camp in San Diego, then Electronics Tech school at Treasure Island (San Francisco). It was very different than Houston where I had spent my entire life. I thought long and hard about going back permanently. Several years later I got a serious offer from an oil company recruiter. By then I was married with kids. That put a different perspective on going to California. No way I wanted them growing up there. Pretty scenery? Yes. Good weather? Yes.
I went to boot camp in Orlando, Florida but got assigned to WESTPAC and stationed at NAS Moffett Field (SF Bay Area) in the P-3 community. Being from a small town in the panhandle of Florida it was way different from what I was used to.

My best friend (and shipmate) stayed out there in the Bay Area and Northern California after he got out of the Navy and I did go back in the early 90's to see him and his family. He had a successful business by then and he even offered me a great opportunity managing one of his shops but I just couldn't get used to the idea of living out there again. And no, I couldn't see raising my kids out there either.

We get sent out there two or three times a month now picking up and delivering pharma loads and it just reinforces what I already knew. Plus all trucks with trailers are limited to 55 mph out there so it seems to take forever to leave. But these trips pay very well so we don't turn them down.

But me and my buddy did get up to Yosemite and Donner and a few other places back in our Navy days and I have no regrets about that. And the weekend cruising on El Camino Real was a hotrodder's dream (they have since banned it) if you're into cars like I was (am)! If you get the opportunity by all means take it, nothing else like Yosemite.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Old 03-20-2022, 06:48 AM   #14
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
We’ve done the same. Would like to go see the redwoods, Yosemite, etc. But, we won’t. I am glad DH worked out there for a few months long ago so we did get to see SF before it got so….different… and Alcatraz. Loved Alcatraz.
Redwoods are worth the trip, but you can go through southwest Oregon for it
Old 03-20-2022, 06:58 AM   #15
notanlines

What Northofu1 said ^^^^. Be a leader not a follower. Travel where you want and enjoy the experience. No one is asking you to live there. No sequoias in Kansas, and no Golden Gate in Indiana. Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face, there is no Mt Washington in Louisiana and no gumbo in New Hampshire.
Get out there and see everything you can. And eat lots while you’re there. Then go home, knowing you’ve seen it for yourself……like the lock in Peterborough, Ontario.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 03-20-2022, 07:04 AM   #16
rhagfo

I have traveled to California many times as part of my work and took advantage to see many things. Our diesel truck is 50 state certified, but now have other reasons not to visit.
Old 03-20-2022, 08:09 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

We lived in California for a while when I was in the Air Force. We left Turkey with a 6 week old baby and a Volkswagon Campmobile (no air conditioning), so we traveled at night once we hit hot weather. Our "introduction to California" happened about 3AM, in the middle of the desert, just east of Blythe when we encountered a "blockade on the highway".... Men in uniform were stopping every car, checking for produce, license and registration...

I thought it was really strange that people were checking my tomatoes at 3AM... Little did I know that was going to be one of the "saner moments" of our time in California...

Lots and LOTS of beautiful things to see and do, loads of wonderful people that we met while there, some we still stay in contact with and when we towed to Las Vegas 2 years ago, one of the "definite side trips" was an overnight to Lancaster/Palmdale to see our old "stomping grounds and friends"...

A lot has changed since we lived there in the early 70's, some for the good, much, well, not what I'd consider to be progress.....

I've got no desire to return for more than a 2 or 3 day visit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-24-2022, 08:22 PM   #18
bobbecky

Now, with the high fuel prices and California planning to give up to $800 to their citizens only, it appears that the state has decided they don't care about tourism and the money it brings the state. I've not seen any discussion about this on any news stories. I wonder if the RV park industry in the state has figured this out yet.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:39 AM   #19
notanlines

From USA Today: "In California, where gas prices are typically the highest in the nation, Gov. Gavin Newsom proposed that vehicle owners get $400 on a debit card per registered vehicle, up to two per person, totaling about $9 billion. All residents regardless of vehicle ownership would see free public transportation for three months."
Might I ask how this shows that the state doesn't care about tourism? I expect the usual California/west coast haters aren't going to visit anyway regardless of fuel prices.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 03-25-2022, 06:26 AM   #20
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
From USA Today: "In California, where gas prices are typically the highest in the nation, Gov. Gavin Newsom proposed that vehicle owners get $400 on a debit card per registered vehicle, up to two per person, totaling about $9 billion. All residents regardless of vehicle ownership would see free public transportation for three months."
Might I ask how this shows that the state doesn't care about tourism? I expect the usual California/west coast haters aren't going to visit anyway regardless of fuel prices.
That is only for residents, doesn’t lower fuel cost for tourists! Makes residents dependent on the government, why not figure out why fuel prices are so high in an oil producing state.
Closed Thread