Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2022, 01:06 PM   #1
TopoTony

Advise on a good gauge

Did a search, but didn't find any threads. I've been thru a few of these things without coming away with one that is easy, reliable and accurate. Some say digital..some analog. I'd probably like it to keep the reading when I pull it away, but need it to be straight forward in terms of sliding it on the stem. One I sent back to amazon, was crazy difficult to get on without releasing a bunch of air.
Old 03-18-2022, 01:23 PM   #2
Northofu1

I use this style. Steel only, some are plastic and garbage. I tested it against a digital and GMC TPMS for truck and it read the same.

https://www.amazon.ca/WezyCozy-Penci...ps%2C54&sr=8-6

This is the digital style I tested it against.

https://www.amazon.ca/AstroAI-Digita...ps%2C54&sr=8-5

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 01:40 PM   #3
bsmith0404

I feel your pain, been through many myself including one I paid good money for from a snap-on truck. The one I’ve actually been the happiest with is a digital Kobalt gauge from Lowes. It reads the same as the TPMS sensors on my truck and wife’s Jeep and the same as the TST sensors on the RV.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
TopoTony

Thanks Brent...I'll check it out at Lowes.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:34 PM   #5
gearhead

Joesracing.com
I've had their digital model for maybe 10 years. Reads the same as the Ram TPMS.
I have changed out the valve stem adapter to fit different wheels easier.
Not cheap.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 04:34 AM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I use this style. Steel only, some are plastic and garbage. I tested it against a digital and GMC TPMS for truck and it read the same.

https://www.amazon.ca/WezyCozy-Penci...ps%2C54&sr=8-6

I like simple no battery pencil gauges also easy to store and always ready.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 05:34 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I chuckle when tire pressure guage conversations come around. I have a very accurate 2" round mechanical guage that reads 0 to 100 psi. It's probably 40 years old. I adapted it to fit tire valves and that's my "standard". I've compared it to "certified" guages and it's always been very close. I'm not running a dragster on the 1/4 mile or running 200 mph around a NASCAR track so I'm not concerned with 1/4 or a 1/2 lb. variance.

With that said, about 15 years ago I bought a digital tire pressure guage from Walmart for a few bucks. It's a "Slime" brand but I've seen the same units sold under many brands. The batteries inside finally gave out last week. I opened it up out of curiosity and found 4 button cell batteries. One was a different size and wired by itself. I assume the 3 were for the led light but didn’t really investigate. So I found the same style guage on line fot $10 for 3 of them. I'll check those against my " standard and go from there. YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 05:51 AM   #8
notanlines

KISS is my motto where tire gauges are concerned. I've had the same two truck tire gauges from Tractor Supply for many years. Nothing wrong with a perfectly good pencil gauge either.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 06:09 AM   #9
JOEJ
Gone Traveling

The pencil gauges give a different reading every time. I like the digital.
JOEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 07:22 AM   #10
hornet28

Operator error is many times responsible for erratic readings
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 07:28 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
Operator error is many times responsible for erratic readings
Through the years, I've found this to be the greatest issue with any pressure gauge.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 07:43 AM   #12
jsb5717

It’s all kind of “ish” measuring anyway. I have two digital gauges that read pretty close to the same. My pencil gauge reads differently, as does my auto-stop pump. The TPMS has yet a different number. However, they are all closely within the same ballpark and consistent in their differences. My pump will read 105psi on all 4 trailer tires while the TPMS reads 102psi on all of them. That works for me. I’ll still get an alarm if the numbers stray too far or too quickly.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 07:55 AM   #13
TopoTony

Looks like it’s definitely not one size fits all. Half digital, half analog. I must have some cheap or defective pencils. They were all producing vastly different readings and the one I thought was the best, would not extend the gauge past about 20lbs….it got stuck. Guess I’ll try one of each now…a good quality digital and pencil.
Old 03-19-2022, 08:30 AM   #14
bsmith0404

I picked up an RV from a dealership last week, new owner didn’t have a truck. I asked them if the air pressure had been set, they assured me they had. I checked anyway, each one was different with the lowest being 11.5 lbs different from the highest. I pulled it back into the yard and pulled out the air hose. A tech brought me his air chuck. It was the type you find at the gas station with the stick that extends out the end when you release the trigger. I decided I’d try it out. I’d release the trigger, it’d read anywhere between 65 and 100 lbs. my digital gauge was reading 74.5. At least that explained why they were so far off. I have several pencil gauges as well, each one is a little different, all within 3-4 psi. That’s not big deal when putting 100 psi in the RV, but a huge difference when putting 40 in the motorcycles.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:49 AM   #15
B-O-B'03

I have Michelin branded digital gauges, in all 3 vehicles.

Easy to use, has a built-in flash light.

Amazon says not in stock, not sure if they have been discontinued. Last time I bought one was 2014.

I really like them.

-Brian
Old 03-19-2022, 09:38 AM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
I have Michelin branded digital gauges, in all 3 vehicles.

Easy to use, has a built-in flash light.

Amazon says not in stock, not sure if they have been discontinued. Last time I bought one was 2014.

I really like them.

-Brian
Those type digital gauges will not work on dually tires, need a real truck gauge.
I have a Slime brand digital with the long neck, bought at Walmart, to reach into the duals that works good. I'd have to say you'd drive yourself nuts trying get the rv TPMS &/or the truck TPMS to ever match any gauge. I go by the digital gauge for inflation then whatever the TPMS reads is good enough.. If they're all within a couple pounds they're close enough for me, as soon as you drive a couple miles none will be the same anyway. As for the TPMS I'm looking for a big difference in pressure or temps on a tire while traveling, not so much as the actual pressure or a certain temperature.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 10:02 AM   #17
dutchmensport

I use a simple old-style air pressure gauge that will read pressure more than 120 pounds. I've used it for several years now.

I do not know how "accurate" it is, but is close enough. All it has to do is be consistent. I keep my tires at 100 on the trailer based on this gauge. When the gauge reads lower by more than 2 or 3 pounds, I add air. I've compared it with other gauges and it seems to be accurate, maybe within a pound or two. That's close enough for me.

I do have to wear my reading glasses to see the numbers on the gauge though. I try NOT to over analyze anything. Doing so will drive me nuts.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:22 AM   #18
Tireman9

Goog tire gauge

I have tested dozens of gauges (posted results on my blog). Basically as a group the "Stick" or "Pencil" are least accurate and least reliable because of dirt and wear causing the "stick" to not slide properly.
Dial are ok except for difficulty to read in less than 5 psi incruments.
TPMS are not intended to be used as a "gauge" to measure pressure as they are intended to sense pressure change and then send signal to warn driver if the CHANGE is greater than the warning level that was set.

I have been using Accutire Digital gauges for over 20 years. I have been able to check my 3 against ISO Laboratory certified Master gauge and found all 3 to be accurate to +/- 0.5 psi which is more accurate than we need in regular use.

With three gauges I essentially have mu own "Master" gauge and if I get a strange reading I can check my regular use hand gauge against the "Master". The chance of multiple gauges all going bad the same amount and the same direction at the same time is essentially impossible. Amazon sold them at $10.

You can use almost any gauge when setting your initial pressure, that works for you as long as you check it against an accurate +/- 1.0 psi

digital gauge.

After setting tire pressure with the hand gauge you can look at your TPMS and learn which sensor reads how much high or low. Usually TPMS are +/- 2.5 psi or better. I have also published test data on 12 TPMS that were all connected to a controlled, regulated pressure source at 80.0 psi.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:34 AM   #19
LHaven

Even though I'm a technology guy, I avoid the digital gauges. Manual gauges don't have batteries to go dead, and they never read in Klingon.

I bought a couple of AccuGauges for towing, because they had a good reputation and a lifetime warranty. I can't say I'm impressed by their sturdiness. One of them shortly developed a non-return to zero problem, and one of them stopped holding the reading when you detached it. However, they were very good about replacing them for a small shipping charge. Frankly, the cost of the unit isn't that much more than the shipping charge anyway. For an inexpensive device, it's reliable enough.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote