Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2022, 04:09 PM   #1
IggyD

Water pump leaking; warranty or self fix?

I suspected the water pump was leaking on our 1 year old Bullet, and after removing the panel in the storage compartment, I could see there indeed was.

It appears the leak is coming from the quick release connections. Since it's drilled directly into the floor I can see the water has softened up the flooring around the holes.

I have an appointment for a yearly inspection that isn't until June where it could possibly be addressed. Should I just fix it in the meantime and bring it up at the appointment? If I do nothing the damage could get worse in the meantime. I'm a little surprised the drilled the pump right into the floor instead of the under body.

Here's a pic of what I found:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8928.jpg
Views:	1434
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	38568  
Old 03-02-2022, 04:16 PM   #2
bsmith0404

That’s how they mount them. A lot of people remount them to another board with a foam insulator to reduce the noise. Personally, I’d fix it myself, but I don’t take mine to the dealer for anything. At least this way I know it’s fixed right

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:03 PM   #3
German Shepherd Guy

What Brent said
Not too expensive to replace the whole pump. But if it is just the quick connects I would try a new pair of those first.

Either way you will know the job has been done right..

Good luck.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:18 PM   #4
jasin1

You have a 2021…is it definitely over 1 year old ? If so by how much? Maybe you can talk to the dealer about it..floor damage can spread like wildfire in those trailers…a couple of members had the whole entire floor replaced in their rigs ..it was a big project. They basically remove the entire structure and put it all back together.

Id make sure you or whoever fixes it is sure to cut out and replace any rotten sections
Old 03-02-2022, 10:51 PM   #5
ChuckS

For that I would fit it myself... I would first remove the lines and check the seals and replace if they wont seal properly on the pump head... You can also pull those screws out and lay some thick rubber down and remount the pump.

Annual inspections are a joke at the dealership.. its a money grabber for them and you should be inspecting the roof for sealing at least four times a year yourself

Grease the chassis and every 12K miles yank the hubs off and clean and inspect the brakes and grease the bearings... If you cant do this find a local trailer shop ( Not an RV place) and the can do the brakes and bearings at a less expensive cost...

If own an RV then you gotta learn to DIY... otherwise you will go broke running to the dealerships

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 03:50 AM   #6
jasin1

I agree that the repair to the pump is best fixed yourself…my point is if the floor is now damaged ..maybe the dealer will fix the floor or document it for future problems..because it may be still In Warranty
Old 03-03-2022, 05:56 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The FloJet water pump is covered by a manufacturer's 2 year warranty and the trailer floor is covered by a "conditional" 3 year structural warranty.

Eccotemp hereby warrants this product to be free of material defects in materials and workmanship when installed and operated according to Eccotemp’s installation and operating instructions. This Limited Warranty extends to the original purchaser and subsequent owners, but only while the product remains as the site of the original installation.
Item/Period of Coverage Flojet Pump/2 Years

Keystone RV warranties the structure of your RV for a period of three (3) years from the date of purchase by the original owner and it is also transferable during the warranty period. The limited structural warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship attributable to Keystone RV's manufacturing and assembly. This includes the main steel frame, outriggers and crossmembers; skeletal framing (wall studs, floor joists, rafters); exterior sidewalls, front and rear walls; roof and roof material; floors; slide-out boxes and related structural components; and, paint and windshield installation issues with fiberglass front caps. The warranty doesn't cover damage due to improper operation or maintenance.

Looking at your photos, I'd question if that "Rube Goldberg water intake manifold" might be putting too much pressure on the pump inlet fitting and has caused the O-rings on the fitting to be twisted or even flattened over time and that's the cause of the leak.... I'm not saying that "IS" what made the leak, but it's possible that all those white flex hoses are "coiled to pull on the fitting" which would make it impossible for the O-ring not to leak....

At any rate, the pump is covered for 2 years and the floor is covered for 3 years, both with some limiting conditions which may apply.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:49 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Looking at that photo I think Keystone must have found a sale on band clamps and pex fittings. If that were mine I would remove the pump screws and see where the pump "wants to go". By that I mean find out where all the stress of the plumbing is pulling it. Then if the lines are putting excess stresses on the pump outlet re-route or support the lines. I would think the way that was installed would put a lot of stress on that pump head.

After reliving the stress on the pump head inspect it carefully for any cracks. Secure the pump and replace the O rings and place a set of O rings in a drawer for spares. After the area is thoroughly dried out I would place some water painting paper under the fittings. That's the paper that you paint with water on a brush. It will show any leak even if it not currently active. Of course check on it periodically. If you take it to the dealer they will likely replace the O rings only regardless of who's paying the bill. I prefer to treat the cause not the reult. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 12:48 PM   #9
IggyD

Thanks for all the input! I called a different Camping World and got an earlier appointment the first of May. I explained to the dealer that my concern on the floor as primary, and the pump as secondary. It looks like I have an extended warranty so the pump covered by it, but I think it's the fittings that are leaking.

100% I think the cause is strain from the lines. So once the floor is sorted out I'll build an upright frame with a drip pan in case this happens again.

The interesting thing I noticed is is the city water line is tied into the pump outlet directly. I use a 50psi regulator when I hookup, but I need to check if the regulator is accurate and if that pressure exceeds the pumps specs as well.

Edit: The more I look at the plumbing the more it seems like it's overly complicated in terms of water routing.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8927.jpg
Views:	1231
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	38572  
Old 03-03-2022, 01:53 PM   #10
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyD View Post
The interesting thing I noticed is is the city water line is tied into the pump outlet directly. I use a 50psi regulator when I hookup, but I need to check if the regulator is accurate and if that pressure exceeds the pumps specs as well.
I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to work. The pump should have a one-way valve on it's output to prevent the city water pressure from back feeding into the fresh water tank. Otherwise, the city water should pressurize the output side of the line so the pump doesn't think it needs to come on when water is requested.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:54 PM   #11
Bustinbeards

I ordered 2 90* elbow fittings for mine for 7$ From Kleen Rite. If it is the fittings it is a 7$ fix. Good luck on the floor!
Old 03-03-2022, 04:02 PM   #12
IggyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
For that I would fit it myself... I would first remove the lines and check the seals and replace if they wont seal properly on the pump head... You can also pull those screws out and lay some thick rubber down and remount the pump.

Annual inspections are a joke at the dealership.. its a money grabber for them and you should be inspecting the roof for sealing at least four times a year yourself

Grease the chassis and every 12K miles yank the hubs off and clean and inspect the brakes and grease the bearings... If you cant do this find a local trailer shop ( Not an RV place) and the can do the brakes and bearings at a less expensive cost...

If own an RV then you gotta learn to DIY... otherwise you will go broke running to the dealerships
DIY is kind of my thing. I have been fixing and repairing since the first day I got home with it. I have never had to do this much work on something new just to make it normal.

The work at the dealer is just the minimum to keep the warranties in place. I have all the self leveling sealants for the roof and clear sealant for the doors, windows and seams (which were missing on some new!). I've been doing the bio method on the black tank since day one. I've been washing and UV treating the exterior. At some point I get fed up and I expect Keystone to fix their mistakes as well.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:42 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
... At some point I get fed up and I expect Keystone to fix their mistakes as well.
Expecting Keystone to fix their mistakes (with the same level of professionalism that you would put into the job) is similar to expecting your 3 year old to compare/contrast chapters 3 and 4 of any college level textbook.... They, like your 3 year old, may stay busy all day, but when you look at the end result, it's going to be "crayon scribbles on a messy page" not a legible report that you can rely on for accuracy.

It simply ain't gonna happen with minimum wage employees that are pused to finish yesterday's jobs so they can get started on today's jobs at quitting time tomorrow..... Yeah, I know, but like has been said way more times than I can remember, "If you want it done right, do it yourself"....

Trust me when I say that no "overworked and underpaid" employee at a dealership is going to single out your trailer for "exemplary service to fix everything the factory screwed up".....

So, don't hold your breath waiting for the dealership and Keystone to voluntarily take your "bull by the horns and wrestle it into submission".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-04-2022, 11:07 AM   #14
IggyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Expecting Keystone to fix their mistakes (with the same level of professionalism that you would put into the job) is similar to expecting your 3 year old to compare/contrast chapters 3 and 4 of any college level textbook.... They, like your 3 year old, may stay busy all day, but when you look at the end result, it's going to be "crayon scribbles on a messy page" not a legible report that you can rely on for accuracy.

It simply ain't gonna happen with minimum wage employees that are pused to finish yesterday's jobs so they can get started on today's jobs at quitting time tomorrow..... Yeah, I know, but like has been said way more times than I can remember, "If you want it done right, do it yourself"....

Trust me when I say that no "overworked and underpaid" employee at a dealership is going to single out your trailer for "exemplary service to fix everything the factory screwed up".....

So, don't hold your breath waiting for the dealership and Keystone to voluntarily take your "bull by the horns and wrestle it into submission".....
I agree with you to a certain extent, but I don't think that excuses them. They have a warranty in place to fix things for what I assume is situations like this. I also paid for a new camper so I think it's ok to expect a reasonable level of competence when putting one together. Your example is like buying a new car, and a year later the head gasket is leaking, rather than having the dealer fix it, the owner is responsible to "get it done right". I don't think that's right.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:12 AM   #15
MarkEHansen

RVs are not Cars. That's the unfortunate reality. If you expect the same quality from an RV that you get with a new car, you are going to be disappointed.

Should it be like this? No.

Why is it like this? Because people still purchase the RV the way they are being produced.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:15 AM   #16
IggyD

I definitely learned that. I have already fixed a bunch to get things to a better (normal) standard, but if the floor is rotting, I'm definitely having Keystone fix it. The pump I will relocate and probably redo most of the pex plumbing to have better routing.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:29 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I agree with you to a certain extent, but I don't think that excuses them. They have a warranty in place to fix things for what I assume is situations like this. I also paid for a new camper so I think it's ok to expect a reasonable level of competence when putting one together. Your example is like buying a new car, and a year later the head gasket is leaking, rather than having the dealer fix it, the owner is responsible to "get it done right". I don't think that's right.
The difference, at least to me, is that you're dealing in "it should be" and I'm dealing in "the way it really is"... Is it "right" that it's the way it really is ?? HELL NO !!! But, as posted above, as long as customers are lined up at every dealership with credit approved purchase agreements, Keystone and the dealerships are not "motivated to do a better job"... Hell, they can't keep up with demand as it is, trying to "build a better mousetrap" would not only slow down delivery of "acceptable to most people" units, it would add to the cost of building them better.... Neither is a necessity in today's RV market and every manufacturer is "making as much money as they can RIGHT NOW, without regard to tomorrow's issues"..... YMMV, but think about it..... As long as you, me and others are buying them as fast as they can push them out the door, the manufacturers are going to give us what we're buying..... Right or wrong, it's "supply and demand"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-04-2022, 12:47 PM   #18
IggyD

I totally understand, I'll follow the avenues for the factory warranty in regards to the floor and see what happens. In any case, here is what I have planned to relocated the pump. It mounts to the floor and one of the aluminum framing cross bars. There's a removable drip pan (still needs a bit of work) and I'll probably add tubing to the plastic tray on the other side of the plumbing wall.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	keystone pump mount.png
Views:	992
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	38583  
Old 03-04-2022, 01:28 PM   #19
MarkEHansen

I understand why you are going here, but I don't think I've ever seen a pump leak. I have seen connections leak or break, but you have connections all through the trailer, not just at the pump.

You may be fixing a problem which doesn't really exist.
Old 03-04-2022, 01:42 PM   #20
IggyD

Oh its definitely the fittings. Like others have mentioned the strain from the lines has probably caused this. Relocating the pump to a less stressful resting area, along with new O rings is the solution.

My mount is my solution to future problems. It keeps water from pooling up if it ever happens again and also will give me an indicator if it is is leaking so i can address it sooner.
IggyD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, warranty, water, water pump