Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2022, 08:29 PM   #21
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
In the mountains or hills do NOT use cruise control.....EVER!
Really!? We put 200K miles a year on our semi running cruise control 95% of the time with no issues. No need to be afraid of it. Maybe you just need to learn how to use it or maybe something's wrong with your truck?

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 07:41 AM   #22
markcee

OP...you asked about specific grade info on I 40 in one of your posts so I wanted to share a link to the Mountain Directory.

The directory comes in a West and East coast version in both print and electronic format. Check out the site and see what you think. I've towed quite a bit through Arizona mountains in the last 2 years but this June will be my first haul through the Rockies. I found this guide to be very helpful in my prep in giving me a heads up on what to expect on the various route options.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:10 AM   #23
dalamarjj78

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
OP...you asked about specific grade info on I 40 in one of your posts so I wanted to share a link to the Mountain Directory.
Thank you! I'll definitely check this out. The East version seems like it could be really useful to have on hand.

2022 F350 XLT CCSB SRW 7.3L 4.30 Gears
2021 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite 273BHS

dalamarjj78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 05:12 PM   #24
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalamarjj78 View Post
What are the grades like on that I-40 route from Asheville to Knoxville? ...

Click here to go to flattestroute.com, for I-40 between Ashville and Knoxville.

Just a VERY important tip on driving that stretch ....... absolutely DO NOT attempt to drive faster than the posted speed limit. When the speed limit changes to 50 mph.... you REALLY need to slow down to 50 MPH and let the Semi's pass you. And hold that speed until the speed limit changes again. It's' not so back when driving the family sedan, but when towing a trailer ... any faster and you'll be gambling with a roll over. However, IF you stay within the posted speed limit, you'll do just fine!

I think the harriest part of the drive between Ashville and Knoxville are the 2 tunnels going East and the one tunnel going west. They are long and intimidating. But, hold your lane, and hold your speed steady. Don't attempt to pass anything and if something attempts to pass you, let them go. Just hold your pace and lane and don't cave in to any other driver. You'll do just fine!
Old 01-31-2022, 07:27 PM   #25
dalamarjj78

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Click here to go to flattestroute.com, for I-40 between Ashville and Knoxville.

Just a VERY important tip on driving that stretch ....... absolutely DO NOT attempt to drive faster than the posted speed limit. When the speed limit changes to 50 mph.... you REALLY need to slow down to 50 MPH and let the Semi's pass you. And hold that speed until the speed limit changes again. It's' not so back when driving the family sedan, but when towing a trailer ... any faster and you'll be gambling with a roll over. However, IF you stay within the posted speed limit, you'll do just fine!

I think the harriest part of the drive between Ashville and Knoxville are the 2 tunnels going East and the one tunnel going west. They are long and intimidating. But, hold your lane, and hold your speed steady. Don't attempt to pass anything and if something attempts to pass you, let them go. Just hold your pace and lane and don't cave in to any other driver. You'll do just fine!
Thanks for that. Based on those graphs it looks like there are some pretty decent grades on that route and, adding tunnels into the mix, we may need a few easier mountain trips under our belt before giving this a go.

Old 01-31-2022, 07:56 PM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

If you use RV Trip Wizard it does have the option of viewing elevation along the route.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:03 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalamarjj78 View Post
Thanks for that. Based on those graphs it looks like there are some pretty decent grades on that route and, adding tunnels into the mix, we may need a few easier mountain trips under our belt before giving this a go.

If worried about tunnels just do what dutch said; go with the flow of traffic (or slower), let folks adjust around you and DON'T be trying to pass in that confined space. In a place like that you just need to be able to control your rig and stay safely within your lane because there generally isn't a lot of leeway.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:30 PM   #28
hornet28

Whether stick or automatic, new or old learn to downshift yourself instead of just depending on the truck to do it's thing
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:23 AM   #29
wegone

My cruise control works fine, no issues with it at all.
I find it easier to drive grades, up or down, using my RPM's instead of MPH.
Around 4k is the sweet spot for my set-up. I can pass going up if I get stuck behind a real slug going up and going down it holds my load back without much braking.
Not sure I see any value in using a system to then just override it...????

James, you have a great set up, your gear is more than capable of its task.
You'll be amazed at how well it will behave after your experience with your F-150.
Don't over think, just relax, go at your pace and clock a little time on her, you'll be trucking like a pro before you know it.
If I can do it, anyone can, believe me. My first pull, EVER....was bringing my trailer home from the mainland. I live on a island. It has two ferries, and one bridge. The ferries are expensive with a trailer, and TIGHT, very tight, like you pull in your mirrors tight...YIKES, and a two way bridge. I took the bridge. It was even more narrow because of side rail repair. I made it, had to pry my hands from the steering wheel once I got home....lol! Goggle Deception Pass ridge, in Washington. That was my first pull. I have since used the ferry too, as I live all the way down on the south end of the island, the bridge is all the way north, and if I am going to go south, the ferry saves me about 3 plus hours of travel time. Enjoy your set up, its top of the line, have fun!
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:04 PM   #30
ChuckS

The truck you are going to tow with is more than up to the task at hand with the current trailer you have..

I live in Idaho and tow here, Wyoming, Montana, etc and have never had any issues with my six speed Allison and Duramax

I don’t have an exhaust brake and I use the Allison in Manual mode on hill climbs and descents…

I do use two haul mode always when towing and also use cruise control but not when I am on an uphill or downhill grade..

I don’t use the trailer brakes by themselves on downhill runs.. I make certain that on a downhill run, especially one with several curves (and I see this a lot) that I am at the speed I know is safe as I b8gin the downhill run..

I will always be in manual mode on downhill runs and shift accordingly to maintain what I consider a safe speed.. if I need to brake I make a firm depress to get back to the speed I want to maintain and shift the Allison accordingly

Knowing your rig is key.. what works for one may not work for another.. you don’t want to be on a downhill run with two back to back S curves and be too fast as then the RV starts to get sporty behind you.

I also prefer to use manual mode on an uphill run so that I can keep the Duramax at the RPM I know I need for best engine and transmission temperatures

Image is coming in thru the Easy entrance YNP with patches of snow on the road here and there.. 6% downhill with some nice curves.. truck and Alpine handled very well..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03815DFA-4B57-47E1-B52D-FB8A98CF4B87.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	38181  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:52 PM   #31
bigdave_185

Wow some of the ideas on here are wide and very different.

Recently pulled a excavator off a 14% grade for 5 miles in the rocky mts

I put the truck in the same gear I climbed the hill and rolled down the hill at a snails pace being 65k of iron.

If I was in my pickup truck and had my camper I would do the exact same, tow haul mode [emoji736], exhaust brake [emoji736], and let the RPMs and motor do most of the work. Apply brake with solid foot to pedal to keep it from running.

I used to drive the hill to powder Mountian ski resort four times a week and never had an issue with my brakes.

Check your equipment and proceed with the windows down enjoying the fresh air,
bigdave_185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:51 PM   #32
dalamarjj78

Deception Pass Bridge...that's a big no thanks for me. I can't imagine doing that now much less on my first tow!

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I have a much better idea of what I should do (and keep in mind) when we decide to head into the mountains. Now I plan to really study my owners manual to familiarize myself with everything and start practicing shifting in manual mode since it definitely won't hurt to get comfortable doing it.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:39 AM   #33
drycamper

Also........ try to remember to look behind, for backed up traffic, if taking it slow and easy. Use the pull-outs or turn offs, to let people pass. Most of us keep a hand held digital IR temperature device, to check brake/hub temps., during these stops.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:43 AM   #34
Garfman

Yellow Signs Save Lives

Good for you to pose this question. There is a lot of helpful information here. Let me add a few points.
RTFMs: The F350 manual, the trailer manual, the NC Drivers manual and the NC CDL manual and the BC Trailering Guide. British Columbia is full of mountains. This is a great resource.
https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...full-guide.pdf
Mostly remember that yellow signs are for large vehicles; you are a large vehicle. As a Commercial Motor Vehicle Trainer for new drivers, I hammer home the adage that Yellow Signs Save Lives.
(Read The Manuals)
Garfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:48 AM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfman View Post
Good for you to pose this question. There is a lot of helpful information here. Let me add a few points.
RTFMs: The F350 manual, the trailer manual, the NC Drivers manual and the NC CDL manual and the BC Trailering Guide. British Columbia is full of mountains. This is a great resource.
https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensin...full-guide.pdf
Mostly remember that yellow signs are for large vehicles; you are a large vehicle. As a Commercial Motor Vehicle Trainer for new drivers, I hammer home the adage that Yellow Signs Save Lives.
(Read The Manuals)
Yellow signs are not exclusively for large vehicles. https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/services/...2084/index.htm
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:59 AM   #36
Coach

Have towed in mountains for thousands of miles. Shouldn't really need to practice shifting down much. These automatics are great for it and if in tow haul even better. I do shift down manually on a decline, one of the factors is the effectiveness of exhaust brake if a diesel. The Ram ( cummins) have by far the strongest exhaust brake however the Ford and Gmc are also effective. I pull a trailer that is 16,500 lbs when loaded.Hitch weight #3,000 lbs Going on Banff - Jasper highway many times steep hills no problems. Shifting down manually and using exhaust brake minimal use of brakes required. I shift down manually coming up to stop signs etc again relying on exhaust in large part to help slow down. I have SRW Ram 3500 with Cummins 6.7 Deleted with economy tune, Aisin. Handles my rig real well. And yes I am legal
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:22 AM   #37
FordF350

Also not mentioned but IMO the hill climbing driving and mechanical issues are also critical. Water , oil and transmission temperatures should be monitored closely. High heat is the killer of fluids . Proper maintenance and knowledge of your vehicles capabilities are key .
FordF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:40 AM   #38
Halcyon

There are a few mountain passes here in Colorado…and I’ve lived here for 68 years. But, i’ve only been towing for 5 years. Going down at the same speed as up can be dangerous, especially on 5% and greater grades. Here, semi’s have specific restrictions on downhill grades for a reason- they can a accelerate very rapidly, exhaust brake on, downshifted and braking. I use tow/haul, but don’t depend on it exclusively. I had a 250 Chevy gasser going up and down Monarch and Wolf Creek passes, and I thought The engine would blow up at 5500 rpm. I now have a diesel 2500 and the difference is palpable. So, I tend to go down 20mph or more SLOWER downhill. The ride is so much more relaxing, letting the truck do the work. I actually set my cruise control at 10 mph lower than I want to go, just as another fail safe including the tow/haul and engine brake. One more thing. When you get to the top of a grade, make sure you downshift, engage exhaust brake, etc BEFORE YOU START DOWN!
Live at 7000 ft, CO
[/SIGPIC]]
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:27 PM   #39
jasin1

If you have a newer Ram cummins you may want to leave it in ..cruise control,tow haul and exhaust brake.
I watched this video last year before I bought my truck and was impressed with how the Ram handled the “Ike gauntlet”
Tfl truck has a YouTube series where the test all the truck brands and it “seems” unbiased.

This isn’t a Ram is better then Ford or GM post…I’d gladly have any of the three and will probably have one of each at some point in The future.

This was just one particular scenario where the Ram seemed to outperform the others

The Ram held its speed with a 30000 lb load
The Ford and Chevy started to run away downhill
Sorry for another YouTube video …you can watch just the first 6 or 7 min
Old 02-03-2022, 01:59 PM   #40
slow

Mountain Towing Tips?

The OP will be running a 7.3 gasser, so diesel based recommendations may or may or not be relevant.

His gasser may very well need to be forced to downshift on steep declines. He will know soon enough and hopefully report back for others to benefit.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, tow, towing