Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2021, 11:34 AM   #1
turk

Passport 219bh

Hi
We are planing to buy Passport 219 BH. We have 2021 Toyota Tacoma with Towing Package Towing Cap.6800 pounds, hitch 650. Can I tow it ?
Thank you
turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:51 PM   #2
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk View Post
Hi
We are planing to buy Passport 219 BH. We have 2021 Toyota Tacoma with Towing Package Towing Cap.6800 pounds, hitch 650. Can I tow it ?
Thank you
Towing capacity is fairly meaningless. You will likely run out of truck payload before coming close to that figure.

The GVWR of the 219BH is 6,430 lbs. At 13%, a more realistic hitch weight is 835 lbs.

What does the yellow/white/black door sticker on your driver's side door pillar indicate is your truck's specific cargo carrying capacity (payload)?

This payload figure is what you have to support hitch (tongue) weight, the weight of all persons in the vehicle, the weight of any cargo placed in the truck bed or cab, and the weight of a good weight distribution hitch (WDH) - figure 100 lbs for that.

In addition to the above, the weight of any add-ons you made after the vehicle left the factory would need to be counted as well. For example, did you add a tonneau cover? A toolbox? Heavier tires? All these things erode the payload value stamped on the sticker.

The bottom line is all this weight added up must be less than the payload sticker value in order for you not to be overloaded.

Note: The above will render a decent estimate. Payload is a fluid amount. It is the truck's established GVWR minus its current weight. If you want to be really accurate, load the truck up as it would be for camping...include everything you will be taking, people, pets, firewood etc. fill up the gas tank and hit up the CAT scale and weigh the truck. Subtract this weight from the truck's GVWR (stamped on a second sticker on the door pillar). The remainder is what you have left to support the estimated 935 pounds of tongue weight (I included 100 lbs for the WDH).
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:59 AM   #3
levic900rr

You CAN tow it with a Tacoma, but I'm not sure you'd WANT to. I've towed a lot of stuff with a lot of different rigs, if you know what you have behind you and you drive accordingly you can survive pretty much anything. What you WANT though, is a set up you're confident in.

Personally I wouldn't WANT to do it. I've had a bunch of Tacoma's and I've had both an 06 and now a '17 Tundra. I have a 2020 239ML(same-ish as the 219BH) My Tundra does great, it feels very stable and planted. I wouldn't want to pull it with a Taco.

levic900rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport