Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #21
jsmith948

Well, ours is a Cougar half ton series. These are built in Oregon. You can go on keystones website and learn whether yours is a west coast or east coast edition. Also, the tags on our axles indicate that they were delivered to the Oregon plant.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:52 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

This is NOT an excuse for what the plant does, but if you've ever walked the line, it's fairly easy to see "how" it could happen. When the frame chassis is first brought into the plant, it's upside down, on rollers. The bottom coroplast is installed, gas line is next, the axles and wheels are installed, any "auto leveler system" is installed and the chassis is turned up on its tires. Then the "below the floor components are installed, starting at the coroplast: silver bubble wrap, insulation, tanks, wiring, gas line "stubs" are attached, plumbing, tank valves and Bowden cables are installed with the handles through the chassis rail or, in the case of "convenience centers" the handles and cables are taped to the top of the chassis. Then the floor is laid on top of that assembly. All of the electrical wiring, LP "stubs", water lines, sewer lines and the Bowden cables/dump valve handles are pulled through the floor holes in the appropriate location.

After carpet, vinyl, walls, cabinets, etc is installed, the convenience center is put into position and those two handles are attached to the plastic wall. With two handles and two places to put them, there's a 50/50 shot at getting it right. Come to think about it, with two Bowden cables on two handles coming through a 1" hole from under a "dark cavern called the basement, there's no "real test to be sure which is which."

I know, with a gray handle and a black handle, any worker "should be able to know which is which".... but, was the correct Bowden cable attached to the correct tank? were the valves glued to the correct tank? were the handles installed on the correct Bowden cable?
Come to think of it, maybe it's not a 50/50 chance. Seems like there's a greater possibility of getting it wrong than getting it right.....

As I said, I'm not trying to "defend" the factory, but with all that's going on as trailers get "pushed sideways down the line and shift workers change jobs" I'm not real surprised that there's no "regular crewchief" that checks the handle operation. But, one would think the selling dealership would make sure the valves work for the proper tank during the PDI......

Just my 2 cents worth..............

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #23
jsmith948

Good points John, This should be on the dealer.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #24
brad05

Mine were labeled backwards as well. 2017 Keystone Raptor 355TS. I caught it right away since I have a clear adaptor connector. I first thought, damn that toilet pouch i threw in there was really powerful!!!lol.... Then I got the joke!
brad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:47 PM   #25
Aintgoneyet

Late to the party here....... with my 2016 Impact 311, the same issue with wrong labels on the tanks. Also, just as Xcntrk mentioned, mine was ditto on the cable slack and the (real) black water gate didn't shut. Boy was I a "funny" guy at that dump station on the first trip out with the trailer (and on a crowded holiday weekend to boot) as I removed that twist cap. Coupled with several other quality issues, I'm convinced mine went through the assembly line at about 3:00 PM on a Friday afternoon!

2016 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L
2009 Polaris 850 XP
Aintgoneyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aintgoneyet View Post
Late to the party here....... with my 2016 Impact 311, the same issue with wrong labels on the tanks. Also, just as Xcntrk mentioned, mine was ditto on the cable slack and the (real) black water gate didn't shut. Boy was I a "funny" guy at that dump station on the first trip out with the trailer (and on a crowded holiday weekend to boot) as I removed that twist cap. Coupled with several other quality issues, I'm convinced mine went through the assembly line at about 3:00 PM on a Friday afternoon!
Sad part is, it seems your dealer "blew through your PDI" late on a Friday afternoon as well. Without knowing what other quality issues you've got, there's really no excuse for the dealership not to function check the tank valves, if not for "correct tank connections" at the very least, to make sure they are functional. It's the dealership's job to make sure your trailer is functional and ready for delivery. Checking the valves to make sure your tanks don't leak is a vital part of that PDI.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-14-2016, 09:15 PM   #27
Lawdog

Mine too. Discovered it when I added a clear hose connector at waste tube exit. Thought it looked a little nasty for a gray tank. Confirmed when I used the black tank flush.

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #28
lonewolftx

Wink Us too . . .

Yes our Fuzion 2016 F420 was mislabeled as well, genset and toy pump tank labels reversed. Was a real PITA to figure out in the dark when the genset ran dry and I couldn't figure out why.

We're not here for a LONG TIME, We're here for a GOOD TIME! HOOH!
2016 Fuzion Chrome 420 18.5k, '16 F350 DRW PSD CCLB, LKR Fx4, WH Platinum Tri, 4.1 LSD, MR, PullRite OE 25K 5th, High CT, EB Heater, Tailgate Step, Recon RL's, Air Lift System, TruXcedo Lopro, DZ TG Assist, KC Lights, Pop&Lock TG, Cable Lock
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:37 AM   #29
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
This is a long standing "gag" that the production line has been using forever. My 2007 Cougar had the same mislabelling.

I can laugh about it know, but 9 years ago it wasn't so funny, OK, maybe it was.

Ron W
If it is indeed a "gag", it's not a very funny one and very unprofessional. It's one of those "Attention To Detail" items that sets one manufacturer apart from another. After paying tens of thousands of dollars on a new RV, it's not too much to ask to have the linkages or labels to be installed correctly.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
If it is indeed a "gag", it's not a very funny one and very unprofessional. It's one of those "Attention To Detail" items that sets one manufacturer apart from another. After paying tens of thousands of dollars on a new RV, it's not too much to ask to have the linkages or labels to be installed correctly.
I wouldn't think that the assembly line workers sit around "chuckling" over making your life miserable. There's also the "old fable" about the car assembly line worker who used to drop a loose bolt into the fender cavity before welding the space shut. Rumor has it that every owner of that brand of car "used to go nuts" trying to find the rattle for as long as they owned the car. Like Keystone's "legendary problem" it's not a "gag" as much as it is a "metaphorical annoyance" that your dealership ought to have found before he delivered the trailer to you.

The next time you're at your dealer's place of business, stop in and express your feelings with someone there who can make a difference. There's nobody from Keystone or from your dealership that's "listening" to you vent here. It might make you "feel better" to express your dissatisfaction on the forum, but, for the most part, "nobody's listening" (except people who can't fix it for you).....

And, if two "mislabeled handles" is the biggest problem you've found with your RV, you're in some pretty good company, maybe today's a good day to buy a lottery ticket, your luck is much better than most.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-27-2017, 09:10 PM   #31
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I wouldn't think that the assembly line workers sit around "chuckling" over making your life miserable. There's also the "old fable" about the car assembly line worker who used to drop a loose bolt into the fender cavity before welding the space shut. Rumor has it that every owner of that brand of car "used to go nuts" trying to find the rattle for as long as they owned the car. Like Keystone's "legendary problem" it's not a "gag" as much as it is a "metaphorical annoyance" that your dealership ought to have found before he delivered the trailer to you.

The next time you're at your dealer's place of business, stop in and express your feelings with someone there who can make a difference. There's nobody from Keystone or from your dealership that's "listening" to you vent here. It might make you "feel better" to express your dissatisfaction on the forum, but, for the most part, "nobody's listening" (except people who can't fix it for you).....

And, if two "mislabeled handles" is the biggest problem you've found with your RV, you're in some pretty good company, maybe today's a good day to buy a lottery ticket, your luck is much better than most.
Oh I realize that nobody from Keystone sits here and reads the forum, and I did let my dealership know already about the switched tanks and something they may consider checking as part of their PDI. Here I was just mainly venting and stating my opinion, hope that's OK

Considering we have only owned our 320RS about a month now, I'll hold off buying that lottery ticket until the end of summer. If by then we have no major issues with the rig, then I'll head to our local convenience store for that ticket
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:27 AM   #32
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

No harm no foul. This just happens a lot. If it's not a part of the PDI checklist it should be. It's especially bad when they get the black and grey mixed up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:19 AM   #33
gkainz

Larry the Label guy was home sick on the day my Keystone rolled across station, so I got no stickers at all. I guess that's better than mis-labeled, since it made me not assume anything, and find the answer myself.

Made my own labels and all is right in the black vs grey handle world.

BTW, for me, at least "Back is Black"...
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:22 AM   #34
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
Larry the Label guy was home sick on the day my Keystone rolled across station, so I got no stickers at all. I guess that's better than mis-labeled, since it made me not assume anything, and find the answer myself.

Made my own labels and all is right in the black vs grey handle world.

BTW, for me, at least "Back is Black"...
Larry the Label guy!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #35
Clyde

Had the same mislabeling happen on my Impact 311. Took a little bit to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote