Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
yaya

Electric rear beds

THis past weekend I was bringing down the two electric bunks in the back of the toyhauler. I had noticed that it was not turning at the motor, so I tried to turn the switch the other way incases it was stuck and the two bed fell half way down, now they will not move at all, have not taken the motor cover off yet. Just trying to get an idea of what could be going on. Any info will be helpful.
yaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
hoffbrew

Wow!! I have not heard of this happening before... What toyhauler do you have? Looks like mine is chain driven. Maybe the motor side chain has broke?? I have noticed we are neighbors, welcome aboard.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Road-King

Just a guess, I use to have a Raptor with beds in the garage. Sounds like the cable broke somewhere...

Was the motor making any noise when you activate the switch?
2008 FLHRC 105th
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
yaya

Yes motor was making noise, that is why I thought it was working at 1st. It does have a chain from what I can see. This happened on the 1st day at Pismo. I was still able to put the quads in under the beds where they are. Miraculously the ladder stopped them from falling all the way down, so they stayed where they are. This weekend I will check the chain and go from there. Thanks for the input
Old 04-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
yaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffbrew View Post
Wow!! I have not heard of this happening before... What toyhauler do you have? Looks like mine is chain driven. Maybe the motor side chain has broke?? I have noticed we are neighbors, welcome aboard.
Yes we are neighbors, I have a keystone NRG 2006. Noticed something always goes wrong, just cant take a trip without something breaking, but learning a lot on this forum.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
hoffbrew

We have all been there, this forum and people/friends here have been a huge help to me in my RV ventures, just ask and we will do our best. Since you are close to me and if you need a second hand or another beer, just pm me and I can see what I can do.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 05-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #7
yaya

Rear electrick beds

When my rear electric beds motor did not bring down the beds and they fell, I managed to get them both to come down and get locked into their slots, I tried to move them again, all I can hear is the motor going but the bar across the back of the trailer is not turning and the bed are not moving. I can see the chains and they are still intact. Don't see that any of the have broke. Any suggestions???
Old 05-20-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
canesfan

Mine broke putting them up. I was running them up and heard a loud SNAP and one corner stopped going up and just was left hanging there. I was 10 minutes from the dealer and took it there. Turns out two screws that hold the bed frame to the part that rides on the chain sheared off. Took about 5 techs and 2 hours to fix it all. Had to take the bed frame off to get to the chain track and the little parts that hook onto the chain and attach to the bed frame. Not sure if it's the same issue, sounds like yours is more the entire bed than just one corner.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
hoffbrew

I am wondering if there is a shear pin that connects motor and rod? Like electric front landing gear motor assembly??
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 05-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #10
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffbrew View Post
I am wondering if there is a shear pin that connects motor and rod? Like electric front landing gear motor assembly??
If there is it didn't work on mine. Sheared off two pretty good size screws clean off like with a hacksaw.

Yaya, did you try giving Happyjac a call? There's also some manuals at the bottom of the page linked to.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #11
Jager

For the guys that had the failure are you storing anything on the beds in transport? How heavy are the people sleeping on those beds? Trying to figure out if you did something I shouldn't be?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #12
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
For the guys that had the failure are you storing anything on the beds in transport? How heavy are the people sleeping on those beds? Trying to figure out if you did something I shouldn't be?
Only used beds 2 nights since I bought it and those who slept on them were well within the stated weight limits. Only keep bedding on them when in travel and keep them in the up position as called for. My service manager told me he'd never seen a failure like mine before.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #13
Jager

I've seen multiple posts on here about rear beds coming down. As in falling and coming apart. It may have been a 1st for your service manager (not sure) but it is definitely not 1st I've heard of it. Because of the number of times I've read about this I assumed everyone was doing something they weren't suppose to be. If the quality of this system is that bad . . . humm.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #14
TandE

Quote:
I've seen multiple posts on here about rear beds coming down. As in falling and coming apart. It may have been a 1st for your service manager (not sure) but it is definitely not 1st I've heard of it. Because of the number of times I've read about this I assumed everyone was doing something they weren't suppose to be. If the quality of this system is that bad . . . humm.
I wouldn't necessarily say that the quality of the beds are bad but more on the lines of how they were installed may not have been done per the manufacturer.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #15
canesfan

Quote:
Just to clarify, mine broke when I was putting them up, 2 screws sheared off, everything else was intact, that is what the service manager was referring to, not problems in general with the beds. Not defending anything or anyone, just clarifying.

As for the system, Happyjac only makes the the mechanism, the beds, couch, etc are supplied by whoever and it is the supplier of the beds and/or the RV mfg to set the weight limits for the beds. I think the sticker in mine says 250 lbs each. Looking at the way the beds are made I wouldn't even put that much on them. Very cheap and flimsy construction.

Per Happyjac lit the load limit for their mechanism is 450 pounds dynamic (moving) load and 600 pounds static (stationary) load. It also states - These ratings are for the lifting mechanism only. Happijac does not manufacture and therefore does not rate any attachments, such as bed platforms, sofas, etc. Load ratings for these items would be the responsibility of the manufacturer.

FWIW

Edit to add - Happyjac is a division of Lippert Components Inc if that says anything.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #16
Jager

Metal pins or bolts just don't fall in half for no reason. They would have had to hit something hard or have been over loaded in some way. I was just trying to figure out how they might have been over loaded.

Thanks for the load rating on the lifting mechanism! Useful information. Thankfully I haven't had any issue with mine so far.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #17
canesfan

Quote:
Metal pins or bolts just don't fall in half for no reason. They would have had to hit something hard or have been over loaded in some way. I was just trying to figure out how they might have been over loaded.

Thanks for the load rating on the lifting mechanism! Useful information. Thankfully I haven't had any issue with mine so far.
I agree with you 100%. We couldn't determine what caused it to fail, everything was clear and there wasn't extra weight on it. It was going up and about a foot from the ceiling when it failed.

There's lots of good info about the lift on their website.

They do recommend a little silicon spray on the channels every now and then, but I doubt that is what the problem was with mine seeing as how it operated smoothly both before and after it broke.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #18
yaya

Sheer pin was my thought also, when looking at the manual. We unscrewed the bottom bed and removed it, we went to Pismo for 6 days and needed to put the quads in. Luckily they fit perfect with the top bunk in place. Going to start taking the motor off, to check the sheer pin, now that we are done taking trips for a while. The fun of having an RV is figuring out how everything works when I breaks. JK!!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:36 AM   #19
HomeyHD

I ran into similar situation of half of jack system not lifting the bed. I found that the rod going across to other side fell out due to poor design if the hexagonal slide shaft that goes into motor. They originally had just a set screw holding it in.
With camper walls flexing that high up in the back of a toy hauler it worked itself out.
My fix was just as simple. Drilled a hole and put a bolt through down the rod just enough to keep the hex shaft from sliding out and keeping a good bit in motor drive sleeve.
The bole has ability to be removed and shaft to slide in to remove from motor if needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
HomeyHD is offline   Reply With Quote