Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2022, 01:23 PM   #1
RobJr

Refrigerator

Like I said before, I got a 2022 Bullet 258rks. It has a GE electric only refrigerator. Guessing it runs off DC power only, that is the batteries. From what I have gathered so far, when you are plugged in at a campground, or plugged into a inverter, both ways run everything in the camper except the fridge. And both ways also keep your batteries charged so your fridge will keep running. Correct? I have dual batteries so how much time do you think the fridge will run ? Thanks 👍👍
RobJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:08 PM   #2
Np2650

While connected to shore power, your converter converts 120 volts AC to 12 volts DC and supplies 12 volt power to the rig including the fridge. It also charges your batteries. When not connected to shore power, your batteries supply 12 volts to your rig and fridge. How long the fridge will run off the batteries will depend on several factors including the size and type of batteries; how often you open the fridge or place warm items in it; how much power you are using for other purposes such as lights, fans, water pump, etc.; and whether you have solar to help charge the batteries.
Np2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:28 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Plugged into an inverter?

If the refer is 12V compressor style as stated above there are several factors. How the batteries are wired will also affect the performance. A pair of 12V batteries should be connected parallel ( pos to pos and neg to neg) and the trailer leads should be on opposite batteries.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:54 PM   #4
dutchmensport

I'm confused over post. So, let me just start from the beginning.

You are saying you have a residential refrigerator in your camper. It is not an RV refrigerator, it's all electric / residential.

Your camper has an inverter and a transfer switch.

Regardless, your refrigerator is powered by 120 AC volt, it just the source of that power is either coming from shore power or from the inverter (which is powered by the battery in your camper).

When you are connected to shore power, the transfer switch allows electricity to pass through directly from shore power and shuts off the power coming from the inverter (powered by the battery).

When shore power is turned off, unplugged, or you have a campground power outage, the transfer switch automatically, instantaneously switches the source of power to the inverter (powered by the battery).

As soon as shore power is restored, the transfer switch will switch incoming power from the inverter and flip it back over to shore power.

Regardless, your refrigerator is running on 120 AC volts. The source of the "energy" may originate from your battery, via the inverter, or it may originate from shore power.

A residential refrigerator has no dependency on the 12 DC system to operate. It's exactly the same as plugging it into the kitchen of your house. No difference. The difference is the source of power in the camper. And if you do not have shore power, that source of power is your battery to the inverter to the transfer switch to your breaker panel to the electric line running your refrigerator.

Now, if you have an electric/gas RV refrigerator and running on electric, the refrigerator (should) flip over directly to gas if shore power electricity is lost. When running on gas or electric, the electric components in the refrigerator all run on DC (battery), regardless if you are running on gas or electric.

An RV refrigerator will run with no shore power for a couple days. Other parasitic draw on the battery may cause the battery to run down much faster. Things like the CO detector and the power you can never turn off in your camper entertainment system. All of that runs off your battery and this is what will discharge your battery the fastest. RV refrigerators can run for several days if there is no other parasitic draw on the battery. They use very little DC (battery) power.

A residential refrigerator running off the inverter may run for 12-15 hours before the battery is depleted. Residential refrigerators will stay cold for a very long time if the doors are opened minimally. I was able to keep ice in my freezer for 3 nights and 4 days once with no shore power by running the inverter (from battery power) only a couple hours, about every 6 - 8 hours apart. Yes, I had to get up in the middle of the night to do this, but where we were broke down, it was the only way to keep things safe in the refrigerator. After the 4th day, my camper still had enough power to run the electric jacks and the slides.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:02 PM   #5
dutchmensport

Here's a diagram of how the electric system works when a camper is installed with an inverter and residential refrigerator:

Old 05-17-2022, 03:34 PM   #6
Np2650

The 2022 Bullet 258rks comes with an optional GE 12v only fridge, so that's what I assume he has. We'll let the OP clarify
Np2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:47 PM   #7
RobJr

Yes it has the optional GE electric fridge
Old 05-17-2022, 03:56 PM   #8
RobJr

I have the optional 12 volt only fridge. The inverter I was referring to is when we go dry camping, the camper is plugged into my Champion 3500 watt inverter. I switched from a generator to an inverter
Old 05-17-2022, 05:11 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJr View Post
I have the optional 12 volt only fridge. The inverter I was referring to is when we go dry camping, the camper is plugged into my Champion 3500 watt inverter. I switched from a generator to an inverter
When your dry camping you use a 3500W Champion generator? And then switched to an inverter? Or do you mean a 3500W inverter generator?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:34 PM   #10
RobJr

I did own a Champion 3500 watt generator we used for dry camping. It was a touch noisy, so I now use a Westinghouse I gen 4500 watt inverter generator
Old 05-17-2022, 06:02 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJr View Post
I did own a Champion 3500 watt generator we used for dry camping. It was a touch noisy, so I now use a Westinghouse I gen 4500 watt inverter generator
Got it, Makes sense.