Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2022, 01:02 AM   #1
RickV

What could have caused this

Got to a campground yesterday and while setting my wheel chocks I noticed this (see pictures), doesn't look like separation. Tire has about 800 miles on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	39758   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	39759  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:29 AM   #2
jasin1

almost looks like it was peeled off from tight maneuvering into a campsite…maybe a tire defect but that is scary
Old 05-16-2022, 02:38 AM   #3
Diver

something hanging down from above it ??? maybe wheel well trim ??
suspension all ok ??
Old 05-16-2022, 03:17 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

What brand tires? Does the wheel look plumb and parallel with the tire next to it?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:19 AM   #5
wrvond

The rest of the tire looks like it was scrubbed sideways. I also think it's the result of a really tight turn.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:35 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If I recall, you just went through repairing wheelwell damage from a blown HiSpec tire in March? Is this, by any chance, the same wheel position on your trailer ??????

If so, this may be a defective axle, mis-aligned axle, bent spindle or bad hub/bearing issue completely unrelated to tire reliability....

More specifics on what happened, how it happened, tire position on the trailer (related to previous damage)....

I believe your current tires are Sailun ??

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:08 AM   #7
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If I recall, you just went through repairing wheelwell damage from a blown HiSpec tire in March? Is this, by any chance, the same wheel position on your trailer ??????

If so, this may be a defective axle, mis-aligned axle, bent spindle or bad hub/bearing issue completely unrelated to tire reliability....

More specifics on what happened, how it happened, tire position on the trailer (related to previous damage)....

I believe your current tires are Sailun ??
John you must have been reading my mind but, it was not the wheel that had the blowout it was the one in front of it. Once it got light out I went out and looked at the bracket between the two tires as it had been slightly bent forward when the rear tire denigrated. I had (I thought) beat it back enough. looking at where the damage to the tire is it lines up perfect with the nub that is sticking down.
We left home on Thursday stopping for 3 days at High Falls State Park in Georgia about 260 miles and the tires were fine. Yesterday we drove up to Indian Mountain State Park in Tennessee about 320 miles, We stopped for fuel in Athens TN and when I did a walk around everything was fine. After we left Knoxville heading up to where we are the road had some major Potholes and I am thinking that that is when the axle had enough movement to cause the tire to hit the nub. when I go out to change the tire I'll try and beat/bend the bracket some more. And you are correct they are Saliuns.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tire3.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	39762   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire4.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	39763   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire5.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	39764  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 05-16-2022, 04:12 AM   #8
Diver

I would also look for a broken spring or a bad bushing in the ROAD ARMOR suspension for a tire to move that far up
Old 05-16-2022, 04:23 AM   #9
Javi

Your shackles are flipped on that axle. Happens often when jacking wheels off the ground.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:27 AM   #10
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
I would also look for a broken spring or a bad bushing in the ROAD ARMOR suspension for a tire to move that far up
I'll go back out and get under and look. Nothing wrong there but it looks like the axle is bent back back and the tires don't line up other side looks perfect. Measuring the gap between the tires on both sides there is over a half inch of difference. I am about 600 miles from home what are my options

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 05-16-2022, 04:58 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Rick,

Don't try to "beat the bracket" back into proper shape. You risk breaking the welds on the bracket. Instead, get a 10" or 12" crescent wrench, close the jaws down to grip the "bent edge of the bracket" and then use the wrench to "lever the lip of the bracket" back into shape. It's not a hard thing to do with a long enough handle on the crescent wrench, and if you can't find a "long handle wrench" then get a length of "chain link top rail" cut to size to slip over the crescent wrench handle. That way you effectively increase your ability to lever the bent bracket back into shape.

As for the difference in tire distance between the axles on each side of the trailer, loading on the tires will alter that measurement. Instead, measure from the center of the hub spindle to the center of the hub spindle on each side. Those are "solid parts" not affected by weight or "ballooning" of the tires.

I sort of agree with Diver. There may be some "undiscovered damage" from the previous incident. A bent hub, damaged bearings, bent spindle are quick ones that come to mind, but also equalizer damage, broken spring leaf, bad shackle or bushing could be causing the excess travel.

But, I wouldn't take a hammer to the bracket, way too much risk of causing more damage than you already have.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-16-2022, 05:05 AM   #12
{tpc}

I think maybe Javi nailed it? From the very last picture, it also looks like the tire behind the damaged one, also incurred some damage?

I can't imagine that a tight turn, even into a concrete pad in a campground could peel that much off the tire. On my old trailer which I brought home all the time, I never had anything BUT tight turns to get into the driveway, and that never happened, even on the original tires....trailer kings I think?

I suppose a severe enough pothole and misalignment could cause the wheel to ride up that far into the well to contact the tire like that, but wouldn't damage only be in one location, not all the way around the tire? I'm just spitballing ideas here of course.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:21 AM   #13
RickV

Quote:
Rick,

Don't try to "beat the bracket" back into proper shape. You risk breaking the welds on the bracket. Instead, get a 10" or 12" crescent wrench, close the jaws down to grip the "bent edge of the bracket" and then use the wrench to "lever the lip of the bracket" back into shape. It's not a hard thing to do with a long enough handle on the crescent wrench, and if you can't find a "long handle wrench" then get a length of "chain link top rail" cut to size to slip over the crescent wrench handle. That way you effectively increase your ability to lever the bent bracket back into shape.

As for the difference in tire distance between the axles on each side of the trailer, loading on the tires will alter that measurement. Instead, measure from the center of the hub spindle to the center of the hub spindle on each side. Those are "solid parts" not affected by weight or "ballooning" of the tires.

I sort of agree with Diver. There may be some "undiscovered damage" from the previous incident. A bent hub, damaged bearings, bent spindle are quick ones that come to mind, but also equalizer damage, broken spring leaf, bad shackle or bushing could be causing the excess travel.

But, I wouldn't take a hammer to the bracket, way too much risk of causing more damage than you already have.....
Between making phone calls and checking things out everything else seems fine, I measured the distance between the the center of the hubs on both sides, driver's side (the one that is messed up) was 34 3/4" and door side 35 1/2". I traveled around 450 miles and everything was fine it was only after driving north of Knoxville that this occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
I think maybe Javi nailed it? From the very last picture, it also looks like the tire behind the damaged one, also incurred some damage?

I can't imagine that a tight turn, even into a concrete pad in a campground could peel that much off the tire. On my old trailer which I brought home all the time, I never had anything BUT tight turns to get into the driveway, and that never happened, even on the original tires....trailer kings I think?

I suppose a severe enough pothole and misalignment could cause the wheel to ride up that far into the well to contact the tire like that, but wouldn't damage only be in one location, not all the way around the tire? I'm just spitballing ideas here of course.
I thought that there was damage to the other tire but it is just rubber from the front tire that is stuck to it , if I take my hand and rub on it it comes off you can see the picture the rubber that I wiped off is laying on the ground I could take a brush and it would all come off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tire6.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	39769  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 05-16-2022, 08:14 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

The 3/4" difference could be "torque on the axles from turning into the campsite" and mean nothing, or it could be a disparity in axle separation from some damaged component... It's hard to tell from photos if the trailer was backed into the site at an angle that is causing the measurement difference, if just running the tires on one side up onto blocks was enough to push one side of the axle further forward or aft, or if there's something else going on.

I wouldn't focus too much on a measurement difference until you rule out all the other possibilities. The main thing, I think, to do first, is to repair what looks like the cause of the tire damage, then inspect the spring leaves to make sure none are broken or deformed, then get serviceable tires and see if your next leg of the trip goes better.

My concern would be that there may be (not necessarily that there is) some axle damage or spring/equalizer damage that caused the tire to travel up higher than it should. But, the "first glance" looks like that bracket may be the reason for the tire damage. That said, a careful inspection of the suspension is, IMO, mandatory before towing again.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-16-2022, 08:36 AM   #15
RickV

Quote:
The 3/4" difference could be "torque on the axles from turning into the campsite" and mean nothing, or it could be a disparity in axle separation from some damaged component... It's hard to tell from photos if the trailer was backed into the site at an angle that is causing the measurement difference, if just running the tires on one side up onto blocks was enough to push one side of the axle further forward or aft, or if there's something else going on.

I wouldn't focus too much on a measurement difference until you rule out all the other possibilities. The main thing, I think, to do first, is to repair what looks like the cause of the tire damage, then inspect the spring leaves to make sure none are broken or deformed, then get serviceable tires and see if your next leg of the trip goes better.

My concern would be that there may be (not necessarily that there is) some axle damage or spring/equalizer damage that caused the tire to travel up higher than it should. But, the "first glance" looks like that bracket may be the reason for the tire damage. That said, a careful inspection of the suspension is, IMO, mandatory before towing again.
I've gotten underneath few times and examined every component closely it appears everything is good under there. I had originally measured from the center of the center caps on both sides and a little while ago I measured the axles themselves from right next to the backing plates and they were dead even. So now it has me thinking that it may be bent spindle. I am a little worried about changing the tire and heading out to our next stop. It's only 230 miles but after the blowout back in march and then this I am gun shy

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 05-16-2022, 08:55 AM   #16
Javi

Is the shackle on the other side of this up or down...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tire3.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	39779  
Old 05-16-2022, 09:10 AM   #17
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Is the shackle on the other side of this up or down...
I saw your post earlier and checked and all four are the same.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220516_56530.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	39780  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 05-16-2022, 09:29 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I've gotten underneath few times and examined every component closely it appears everything is good under there. I had originally measured from the center of the center caps on both sides and a little while ago I measured the axles themselves from right next to the backing plates and they were dead even. So now it has me thinking that it may be bent spindle. I am a little worried about changing the tire and heading out to our next stop. It's only 230 miles but after the blowout back in march and then this I am gun shy
A bent spindle could manifest itself in many ways, so "nothing is impossible" but for the most part, a bent spindle will show up in abnormal tire wear (usually on the edge of the tread) not in tire damage or in increased wheel travel such as hitting the top of the wheelwell. You may well have a bent spindle, but that's probably not the cause of the tire damage in your photos.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-16-2022, 09:51 AM   #19
wrvond

Hitting something hard enough to bend a spindle could easily drive it up into the wheel well.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:13 AM   #20
Tireman9

Feather Edge Wear

Here is info from Yokohama post
https://www.y-yokohama.com/global/pr.../lb_window/04/

You need to get all tire positions checked and fixed for alignment.