Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2022, 09:49 AM   #1
DominickP53

Are Covers for your RV a good idea

Going to pick up our new 29 RLI on Monday.
I’m sure someone is going to ask if I want to buy a cover to protect my investment. I covered my previous TT the 1st year. Second year it stayed where I put it the year before. Cover or no cover? Do they help?
I’m in PA and it will be sitting outdoors in winter. Thanks Dom
2020 F350 6.7 diesel SRW
DominickP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:00 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominickP53 View Post
I’m sure someone is going to ask if I want to buy a cover to protect my investment. I covered my previous TT the 1st year. Second year it stayed where I put it the year before. Cover or no cover? Do they help?
Most of the folks on here don’t like covers but for me it works ….I bought a good breathable cover for my fifth wheel and we had it on for most of the winter No damage to gel coat or roof. It was just as clean as when I put it on.

I may even use it between trips in the summer until I can get a covered carport or pole barn for it …I don’t like the graphics fading and I figure it isn’t good to have snow accumulations and melting on the roof …keeps the bird droppings and leaves off also

I spend a lot of money every year getting my boat shrink wrapped and that just gets thrown away …although I did get an extra year out of it once
Old 05-04-2022, 10:14 AM   #3
dutchmensport

To cover or not to cover? That is the question!

And the answer is "yes" to both.

Covering is a good idea if you must park your camper under trees and a in a forested area. It help keep tree sap and bird droppings off the roof, side, everywhere.

Covering is NOT good idea if you use your camper often, especially in the winter. If you take your camper out in freezing winter, and it's covered, you'll be dealing with ice on top of the cover, take the cover and ice off, storing it why you are traveling, finding space to lay it out and dry it out while you are using the camper so mold and mildew will not grow in it, and then when you return, you'll put the cover back on. Now ... maybe once a winter isn't so bad. But to put it on and take it off every weekend ... um ... I think you'll eventually just leave it off.

If installed correctly, they do help if you are not able to get the camper under roof. But, if you use the camper a lot, covering and uncovering is a LOT of work. And if you are a bit older, the older you get, the less you want to haggle and wrangle that beast.

Your choice! But, you'd be better to spend your money on a Progressive EMS (surge protector) (50 amp or 30 amp depending on your camper), or a Hughes Auto Former, if that be a portable or a permanent hard wired one in your camper. If I had the money, I'd purchase the EMS a hundred times sooner than the cover.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:14 AM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominickP53 View Post
First issue, are you physically able to carry the heavy cover up a ladder then wrestle it around the roof while hopscotching all the protrusions while 12-13' off the ground, then do the same to remove.
Second if you have winds in your area that constantly flap the cover it will chaff the corners of the rv & seriously shorten the life of the cover. If you decide late winter to take the rv on a trip will you be able to remove the cover while covered in ice/snow frozen to the roof? Most likely you'll be waiting til spring thaw.
Personally & good coat of wax before storage would be just as beneficial & a lot less work & expense than a cover.
The money better spent would be an rv port to pull it under, preferably with water, sewer & electric also, if it's allowed in your area then it becomes a guest house as well.
At the park we're in there's a Canadian couple that leave their TT on site & covered during the summer. We've been here 5 years & this year before they left they've bought/installed the 3rd cover in that 5 years.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:10 AM   #5
Canonman

I have used one since we bought our Cougar new in 2016. We have about a 6 month season so basically we cover the Cougar for the winter, then no cover for the summer.
I'm 70 and both put the cover on and take it off by myself. The biggest problem is getting the damned thing back in the storage bag after I get it off in the spring
No problems with scratching or any other damage from the cover. I'm thinking anytime you can protect your investment from UV and the elements for months at a time it's a good thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-19.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	39575  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover