Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2022, 05:32 AM   #1
edwardsm1

X chocks

Got some X chock stabilizers for TT. How tight is tight enough, don't want to damage tires but want to work properly.

2020 26hlswe hideout
Ram 2500 w/ 6.7 Cummins
edwardsm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:46 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I put them tight enough to start pressing the tread.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:52 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I always tried to envision what it would take pressure wise for them to 1) keep the tires from rolling if it wanted to cut loose and 2) keep the tires from bouncing/wiggling when inside. To that end I tighten them down pretty tight (). Tighten until the they are firm and not moving when between the tires then keep ratcheting until they depress into the rubber a bit.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:15 AM   #4
jasin1

I crank mine down with a torque wrench till they resemble a capitol D…the first 100 miles after is a little bumpy when towing but they stretch out when the sun hits them…(kidding of course)

I didn’t use mine this last trip…we are used to boats so a little movement isn’t bad..
Couldn’t bring myself to deform the new tires lol
Old 04-08-2022, 09:53 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

The X chocks I have came with a ratchet wrench. Now I still consider myself to be stronger than the average bear despite having a lot of nerve damage. I can't envision cranking down on that wrench handle hard enough to damage the tires.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 01:11 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

I tighten until I see the tread start to indent a tad. If you install them right after getting off the road, you may want to retighten in the morning after the tires cool down and shrink a bit. Ever since we replaced the scissor jacks with a heavier duty version we actually don’t use the X-chocks very often
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:36 AM   #7
ChuckS

I have a set gathering dust in the wood shed.. Wasted money for me.. I use some small pieces of 4x4 on each side and am much happier...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 05:24 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I have a set gathering dust in the wood shed.. Wasted money for me.. I use some small pieces of 4x4 on each side and am much happier...
Chuck have you tried using them just to mitigate the "bounce" from the tires? I don't use them as chocks per se anymore, and didn't bring them on this trip, but I'm thinking about taking them next time to see what they will do in that respect. Seems like they used to have an effect. Since I bought this one with self leveling I've not really used them but feels like there still might be just a bit of "bounce" from the tires once leveled. Might also be a characteristic of 4 point leveling.
Old 04-12-2022, 06:33 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

I've not noticed a reduction in bounce as the springs and tires are still supporting the majority of the weight. They do "lock the tires in to prevent them from rocking. The only way I'm aware of achiving that with lumber or chocks is to drive them tightly under each side of a tire. To me, that just makes extracting them difficult unlessbyou drive over them.

I use the x-chocks regularly and they work well for me. On the previous trailer I had installed the the struts on the stabilizers (IIRC JT Strong arms) in both directions on each corner. That was a 29' FR Surveyor (ultra light) and it was rock solid. Current trailer, I installed a matching Lippert Power Stabilizing Jack in front of the front axle. It seemed like with 2 OEM stabilizers at each end just left excessive flex in the middle. This improved stationary stability immensely.

After the addition of the center stabilizer and using the x-chocks I didn’t feel the need to add anything else. With all that said, if the site is unlevel and requires using the Anderson levelers I don’t always use the x-chocks, especially for a one or two night stay. With a 4 or 6 point leveling system I wouldn't think there would be a need for x-chocks but can't say that with certainty.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:30 AM   #10
ChuckS

Since we have the six point hydraulic level up the X chocks just aren't needed in my case.. While I am sure they work great in many other applications with RVs I use hand made block platforms 12x12 inch with rope handles and place under each leveler pad.

This reduces the amount of piston extension by at least 6 inches and with the shorter extension, and six points of support there isn't any movement in the RV.

Its just the wife and I and two 65 lb chow chows... we only one now as we lost the other one yesterday after 14 plus years... The fifth wheel is very stable for us

The X chocks are well made and will work great for others...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:42 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Since we have the six point hydraulic level up the X chocks just aren't needed in my case.. While I am sure they work great in many other applications with RVs I use hand made block platforms 12x12 inch with rope handles and place under each leveler pad.

This reduces the amount of piston extension by at least 6 inches and with the shorter extension, and six points of support there isn't any movement in the RV.

Its just the wife and I and two 65 lb chow chows... we only one now as we lost the other one yesterday after 14 plus years... The fifth wheel is very stable for us

The X chocks are well made and will work great for others...
Sorry for your loss. We have had dogs for 40 years and Brittany Spaniels for the last 30 years. It's heartbreaking when you loose one, at least for us it is.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:45 AM   #12
Conanmat

X chocks

I don't use mine to stabilize the RV after level, mine are there to keep RV from rolling while unhooking 5th wheel from truck. I also have the 6-point leveling system on our Alpine but need something there during the transition hooked to truck unhooked from truck.
I do tighten them relatively tight, and they hold because I have forgotten to remove and tried to pull away it held until I gave it more gas then I mangled the X chock.
PS-I do throw a wedge in front of wheels on the opposite side of the X chock. Can never be to safe.
Conanmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:00 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conanmat View Post
I don't use mine to stabilize the RV after level, mine are there to keep RV from rolling while unhooking 5th wheel from truck. I also have the 6-point leveling system on our Alpine but need something there during the transition hooked to truck unhooked from truck.
I do tighten them relatively tight, and they hold because I have forgotten to remove and tried to pull away it held until I gave it more gas then I mangled the X chock.
PS-I do throw a wedge in front of wheels on the opposite side of the X chock. Can never be to safe.
This "slip of paper" used to be included in every X-Chock box. In recent years, I suppose their lawyers have become less cautious, but I'd never rely on X-Chocks to keep an RV from rolling downhill while unhitching from the tow vehicle.

If you've ever watched a trailer roll away from the hitch, realized just how powerless you are to stop it or even to attempt to guide it, you'll reconsider using X-Chocks to prevent a trailer from uncontrolled rolling while unhooking. YMMV

Added: This emailed question to BAL and their response explains the "function" a bit better:

Hello,
I have a question please. Are the X-Chocks intended for use with or in place of standard chocks? I see discussions and wanted to know the true answer.
Thank you,

Thanks for your email and interest in our X-Chock.

Identifying the purpose of a chock is like asking for a soft drink. Is that a Dr. Pepper or a Sprite? Depends on what you are looking for. The word chock applies to the inexpensive plastic wedges to kick under a tire or the large black, triangular stops used by tractor trailer drivers.

Our X-Chock is designed to keep the tires from shifting while the trailer is in camping use. No chock that sits off the ground between tandem axles is considered a parking brake (our brand or our competitors).

Almost all substantial movement in a camper is front to back as it is hard to get a head of steam walking side to side in a travel trailer or fifth wheel. As you walk the length of a trailer, the inertia created makes the tires want to shift with that movement. The X-Chock helps limit that tire shift while camping. They are not designed to keep a trailer from rolling down a mountain.

I personally use the X-Chocks on my 35 ft bumper pull and when I unhook, I use a chock on the ground as a safety device. Once unhooked and level, I use the X-Chocks to improve the stability while camping.

We offer two chocks that sit on the ground which apply more stationery pressure. The 28000A Standard Chock in the first link works between the tires. The 28020 Single Tire Chock works on single tires up to 205 75 R15.

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

http://norcoind.com/bal/products/con...s.shtml#single

Hope this helps.

John Hawkins
BAL R.V. Products
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X Chock Warning.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	39369  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 10:18 AM   #14
RollaMo

That emailed response from BAL is the best explanation for the use of X chocks I have seen.
And exactly the way I use them.

The tires are still chocked with the hard rubber wheel chocks.

I used those cheap plastic chocks one time with our previous travel trailer before finding the hard rubber ones at Harbor Freight.
Old 04-21-2022, 12:15 PM   #15
CampNBrew2

I liked them on my old toy hauler and just bought a new set (XXL version) for my spread axles on my current trailer. They do help to stabilize some movement (IMO they shouldn't call them chocks, but stabilizers, as people connotate chocks as wheel holding devices to prevent movement.)
I crank on them to indent the tire slightly. It does not make the trailer rock solid but you can tell a difference. I would still like to try the strongarms.
WTH couldn't they have made the hex the same size as the stabilizer jacks?? I'm all about quick setup and changing a drive socket when I am supposed to be cracking a beer is annoying I use my drill/driver to get them close to size then use the ratchet tool to finish them off.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:46 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNBrew2 View Post
I liked them on my old toy hauler and just bought a new set (XXL version) for my spread axles on my current trailer. They do help to stabilize some movement (IMO they shouldn't call them chocks, but stabilizers, as people connotate chocks as wheel holding devices to prevent movement.)
I crank on them to indent the tire slightly. It does not make the trailer rock solid but you can tell a difference. I would still like to try the strongarms.
WTH couldn't they have made the hex the same size as the stabilizer jacks?? I'm all about quick setup and changing a drive socket when I am supposed to be cracking a beer is annoying I use my drill/driver to get them close to size then use the ratchet tool to finish them off.

I put BAL Lock Arm stabilizers on my last trailer and they helped. I didn't have screw down stabilizers so don't know what size those bolts are but one of the tools that came with the trailer (2014 Cougar High Country) fit them exactly. For the life of me I'm not remembering what the tool was for but it looked like a big speed wrench with a fixed socket on the end. Fit in a slot on the front wall of the pass through. Just dropped the stabilizers then carried that speed wrench around the trailer and snugged the bolts down.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:48 PM   #17
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
This "slip of paper" used to be included in every X-Chock box. In recent years, I suppose their lawyers have become less cautious, but I'd never rely on X-Chocks to keep an RV from rolling downhill while unhitching from the tow vehicle.

If you've ever watched a trailer roll away from the hitch, realized just how powerless you are to stop it or even to attempt to guide it, you'll reconsider using X-Chocks to prevent a trailer from uncontrolled rolling while unhooking. YMMV

Added: This emailed question to BAL and their response explains the "function" a bit better:

Hello,
I have a question please. Are the X-Chocks intended for use with or in place of standard chocks? I see discussions and wanted to know the true answer.
Thank you,

Thanks for your email and interest in our X-Chock.

Identifying the purpose of a chock is like asking for a soft drink. Is that a Dr. Pepper or a Sprite? Depends on what you are looking for. The word chock applies to the inexpensive plastic wedges to kick under a tire or the large black, triangular stops used by tractor trailer drivers.

Our X-Chock is designed to keep the tires from shifting while the trailer is in camping use. No chock that sits off the ground between tandem axles is considered a parking brake (our brand or our competitors).

Almost all substantial movement in a camper is front to back as it is hard to get a head of steam walking side to side in a travel trailer or fifth wheel. As you walk the length of a trailer, the inertia created makes the tires want to shift with that movement. The X-Chock helps limit that tire shift while camping. They are not designed to keep a trailer from rolling down a mountain.

I personally use the X-Chocks on my 35 ft bumper pull and when I unhook, I use a chock on the ground as a safety device. Once unhooked and level, I use the X-Chocks to improve the stability while camping.

We offer two chocks that sit on the ground which apply more stationery pressure. The 28000A Standard Chock in the first link works between the tires. The 28020 Single Tire Chock works on single tires up to 205 75 R15.

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

http://norcoind.com/bal/products/con...s.shtml#single

Hope this helps.

John Hawkins
BAL R.V. Products
I forgot to remove my x-chock before hitching up once. I then attempted to drive off the leveling blocks. It did not end well for the x-chock but fortunately it did not tear up the tires. Lesson learned: use the check list especially when you are dealing with distractions.