Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2022, 01:01 PM   #1
linux3

Silverado Trailer screen dead

My LTZ has the trailer package.
The infotainment screen for Trailer Tow randomly is black on start up and will stay that way until a random next restart.
All the other screens like radio and phone and such work just fine.

Now the strange part.
When I start the truck if I go into Settings, Vehicle pick a category and touch a setting, even if it's a setting I've selected before and go back and select Trailer it works. Every time.

Most times it doesn't work. If I do the Settings bit it always works.

I found a GM site that said there was a bug in the latest firmware and to just go into the radio screen and "Delete all settings".
OK, that worked one time but I had to replace ALL my settings and the fix didn't survive a restart.

Dealer is backed up and this is an intermittent problem and we want to hit the road with our trailer.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:48 AM   #2
Pull Toy

I’m not familiar with the Chevy screens, but you might get a quicker response on a Chevy PU site.

Good luck,
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:14 AM   #3
ljdriscoll

I have had the same problem my 2020. Usually I shutdown and restart the truck and the screen comes back

2014 Cougar 33RES
2020 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 V8
ljdriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:07 AM   #4
jfk69

Sorry for your issues. This is why I so dislike expensive options in vehicles. In my old Ram, the 8” display radio, which had control functions that were only available through the screen, would intermittently give the blue screen of death. No rhyme or reason. It was suggested that I pull the ground off the battery for an hour to make sure every capacitor on the vehicle discharged completely then reconnect it. That worked for a couple weeks then it started all over again. I finally “fixed” it when I turned the truck back in…
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:24 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
My LTZ has the trailer package.
The infotainment screen for Trailer Tow randomly is black on start up and will stay that way until a random next restart.
All the other screens like radio and phone and such work just fine.

Now the strange part.
When I start the truck if I go into Settings, Vehicle pick a category and touch a setting, even if it's a setting I've selected before and go back and select Trailer it works. Every time.

Most times it doesn't work. If I do the Settings bit it always works.

I found a GM site that said there was a bug in the latest firmware and to just go into the radio screen and "Delete all settings".
OK, that worked one time but I had to replace ALL my settings and the fix didn't survive a restart.

Dealer is backed up and this is an intermittent problem and we want to hit the road with our trailer.
If while traveling try a different dealer if you're in 1 spot for a few days. Unlike rvs any dealer should be able to help you out. With 2 year old truck it should still be warrantied.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:38 AM   #6
jasin1

Does it only happen when the trailer is connected? Could be a wiring problem in the trailer or trailer socket on the TV…I think I remember someone saying about an issue with GM and having problems with trailer brakes ? Or the connector …might want to do a site search
Old 04-26-2022, 04:57 AM   #7
Balvar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
Sorry for your issues. This is why I so dislike expensive options in vehicles. In my old Ram, the 8” display radio, which had control functions that were only available through the screen, would intermittently give the blue screen of death. No rhyme or reason. It was suggested that I pull the ground off the battery for an hour to make sure every capacitor on the vehicle discharged completely then reconnect it. That worked for a couple weeks then it started all over again. I finally “fixed” it when I turned the truck back in…
Not really an option that much anymore.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:22 AM   #8
ljdriscoll

My problem starts if I select trailering app shortly after start up. if I wait a little bit I dont seem to have any issues

2014 Cougar 33RES
2020 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 V8
ljdriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:40 AM   #9
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdriscoll View Post
My problem starts if I select trailering app shortly after start up. if I wait a little bit I dont seem to have any issues
I bet that's it.
I wrote that if I go into Settings first and make a fake change then the trailer app works.

That could equal the delay.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 09:05 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdriscoll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
I bet that's it.
I wrote that if I go into Settings first and make a fake change then the trailer app works.

That could equal the delay.
Thinking "out loud" for a minute... If I turn on my laptop and try to open some programs before it's completely "booted up", they will either lock the computer or fail to open correctly.... If I wait until it's completley booted up, they'll always open correctly and I never have a problem with "lockups"....

I wonder if "selecting trailering app shortly after startup" is the same as "opening a program too fast after turning on my laptop" ?????

Might experiment with waiting 3 or 4 minutes before "selecting trailering apps" ....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen, silverado