Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2022, 06:02 PM   #1
Cameron2

A/C not keeping cool

Hello! So I have a 19’ sprinter campfire 32fwbh, bought it new in 19’ and the air conditioning worked phenomenal! On the hottest days, it would keep it at 67ish with ease and still kick off without running the second unit in the bed room. Fast forward to the summer of 2021, I move into the camper full time due to some personal issues, and on the days that the ambient temperature was over 80, it struggled to cool below 75-78, that is with both units running, no traffic in or out and all the blinds closed. I ended up having to rig up a portable air conditioner in it to make it bare able on the hottest days. Fortunately, I am not going to be living in this camper full time any longer and can get back to using it for what it’s intended to be used for, but first, the a/c needs addressed! Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Cameron2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:51 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

First thing is to test the temperature of the discharge air. It should be 20 degrees colder than the return air. If it’s not then there are a few possibilities. Could be the system lost it’s refrigerant charge, blockage in the system and some others I can’t think of right now.

If your good with a multi meter, you can test for amp draw when the compressor is running. It shouldn’t be greater than 14 amps.

Where you plugged into a50A RV plug?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:07 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I know you were to refrencing last summer's performance so have you tried it this year? Were the filters kept clean?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 03:07 AM   #4
jasin1

I’d take a hose and clean the condenser coil on the roof and make sure the condenser fan is working.
Also take the cover off the inside and make sure that any tape that is sealing the return side off from the roof and space between roof and ceiling is still intact…make sure old tape is not blocking the coil.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:33 AM   #5
Cameron2

I havent tried this year as it is still winterized and we have a couple more weeks until the freezes are over, I did keep the filters cleaned religiously. The air coming from the vents was cold, I used a thermopen and if I remember correctly, it was around 60*. I was also plugged into a 50A service. Under the pantry, there is a vented access panel to get to the water heater that always had a large amount of heat blowing in, I ended up taking it off and taping some cardboard to it to block the vents to block the hot air from coming in. I also did remove it once temps started dropping before i turned on the heat as I do believe that is the intake for the heat.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:39 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron2 View Post
I havent tried this year as it is still winterized and we have a couple more weeks until the freezes are over, I did keep the filters cleaned religiously. The air coming from the vents was cold, I used a thermopen and if I remember correctly, it was around 60*. I was also plugged into a 50A service. Under the pantry, there is a vented access panel to get to the water heater that always had a large amount of heat blowing in, I ended up taking it off and taping some cardboard to it to block the vents to block the hot air from coming in. I also did remove it once temps started dropping before i turned on the heat as I do believe that is the intake for the heat.
Be sure to uncover that vented panel when running the furnace as that's most likely return air for the furnace.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote