Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2022, 04:29 AM   #1
jasin1

Good news for GM buyers

Looks like gm is trying to put a stop to price gouging…nice to see a company with some integrity
Old 02-04-2022, 12:38 PM   #2
jasin1

Ford is following suit https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...dealer-markups

It’s about time…looking at vehicles with my daughter they were all marked up

And I tried to buy a new Chevy and they wouldn’t give me employee pricing because they said they could sell it for more…I’m all for people doing well in business but not price gouging
Old 02-04-2022, 12:49 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Chevrolet won't give me employee pricing either but then I am not now nor ever have been an employee and besides I like Fords (they are generally cheaper used). I have actually purchased two Chevys new in the past; an 86 Caprice Classic and an early 70s Vega wagon. That still doesn't make me an employee I guess.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 12:59 PM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Chevrolet won't give me employee pricing either but then I am not now nor ever have been an employee and besides I like Fords (they are generally cheaper used). I have actually purchased two Chevys new in the past; an 86 Caprice Classic and an early 70s Vega wagon. That still doesn't make me an employee I guess.
Nov or December of 2020 Chevy had employee pricing..I went in and test drove a new truck..all ready to buy it and the saleswoman said employee pricing was no problem ( it was definitely part of the program)

Manager comes back after a while and says ..nope…I don’t have to participate if I don’t want to and I’m not…very smug…I wouldn’t budge so that was it

We already purchased one vehicle from them ( sons ) …they just wanted to take advantage of the truck sales situation
Old 02-04-2022, 01:55 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Nov or December of 2020 Chevy had employee pricing..I went in and test drove a new truck..all ready to buy it and the saleswoman said employee pricing was no problem ( it was definitely part of the program)

Manager comes back after a while and says ..nope…I don’t have to participate if I don’t want to and I’m not…very smug…I wouldn’t budge so that was it

We already purchased one vehicle from them ( sons ) …they just wanted to take advantage of the truck sales situation

Next time around you might contact their corporate offices to see what might be done. At that same time you mentioned (Nov/Dec 20) I was truck shopping for a new Ram. Had a devil of a time finding one like I wanted so was going to order OR there was one in another city pretty close to what I wanted and they were advertising "employee" pricing.

As I negotiated a price for both of them they sort of hedged and gave me the numbers for "employee" pricing which weren't close to what I had expected. Had a friend that ran a dealership in TX so called him and asked him what the "employee" pricing should be.....much lower. Took that back to the salesman, then the mgr. and was told I was being offered the right price. I called Ram corporate and they had a group that specifically handled the employee pricing for customers. The TX number was correct (for TX) and the FL number was wrong. Took THAT back to the dealer and ended up at the owner. They did honor the correct pricing for the truck that was available in the other town (with a $500 deposit) but when I asked the corporate folks if I could get it if I ordered one I went too far....nope; I had to have possession by 12/31.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 03:51 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Next time around you might contact their corporate offices to see what might be done. At that same time you mentioned (Nov/Dec 20) I was truck shopping for a new Ram. Had a devil of a time finding one like I wanted so was going to order OR there was one in another city pretty close to what I wanted and they were advertising "employee" pricing.

As I negotiated a price for both of them they sort of hedged and gave me the numbers for "employee" pricing which weren't close to what I had expected. Had a friend that ran a dealership in TX so called him and asked him what the "employee" pricing should be.....much lower. Took that back to the salesman, then the mgr. and was told I was being offered the right price. I called Ram corporate and they had a group that specifically handled the employee pricing for customers. The TX number was correct (for TX) and the FL number was wrong. Took THAT back to the dealer and ended up at the owner. They did honor the correct pricing for the truck that was available in the other town (with a $500 deposit) but when I asked the corporate folks if I could get it if I ordered one I went too far....nope; I had to have possession by 12/31.
Yep I should have thought of that …I didn’t even want to patronize the place after that but could have taken the truck anywhere for warranty
Old 02-05-2022, 04:36 AM   #7
Skillet173

Ordered my truck in September. As of Jan 01 hadn’t gotten a production date so started looking at trucks “in transit” to dealers. One particular dealer had one and was very interested in getting a deposit on it because it would “sell before it arrives”. I declined and then found out they added a $10k “GM market adjustment”. Truck has been sitting on their lot since. They still have truck and still want the extra money but since GM article they aren’t advertising it. THIEVES
I paid MSRP for mine and could have gotten a better deal if I waited on my choice dealer but ��*♂️.

Got tired of "fighting stupid" (LEO) after 27 years and retired.
Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Skillet173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:29 PM   #8
firestation12

Quote:
Looks like gm is trying to put a stop to price gouging…nice to see a company with some integrity

Thanks Jasin for taking the time to reply. I make no claim other than the single dealer I quoted as to what is nationally occurring. The young man in the video gives an impression the problem is but a few dealerships, but the comments here reflect much more wide spread stories of just the opposite is happening. Not just the Corvette Z06 markups of 2020, but many other makes and models since then, including Jeep, Bronco, Raptor, 3.0 diesel GM powered vehicles and more. It's too bad that persons willing to pay big for a quick purchase whether for themselves or to resale, are also driving ripoffs. Also, It would be interesting to view the contractual language a dealer has with the manufacturer.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:30 AM   #9
firestation12

Additional info from Carpro.com

Quote:

This was posted on Carpro USA today:

The Jeep Wrangler, Ford Maverick hybrid and Porsche Macan are the new vehicles priced the highest over MSRP, according to new data from iSeeCars.com. These higher prices stem from production shutdowns and the ongoing microchip shortage which have both drastically lowered new car inventory, something Car Pro Show host Jerry Reynold has been talking about on the show for months.
iSeeCars says as demand continues to exceed the supply of new cars, dealers are pricing new cars above MSRP (Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price) and removing new car incentives. Here's a look at what to expect in Car Pro Show markets:
Average Price Increases Above MSRP by City - iSeeCars
  • Austin:

According to iSeeCars' recent analysis of 1.2 million new car listings, the average new vehicle is priced 9.9 percent above MSRP, and all new vehicles have average prices that are above MSRP. Additionally, researchers say some new vehicles are priced well above the 9.9 percent average.
iSeeCars Executive Analyst Karl Brauer says the higher MSRP on specific models is offsetting lower volume sales due to inventory issues. Brauer also says car shoppers are paying the higher price for in-demand vehicles to get what they want and avoid a length wait.
Here are top 15 cars with the highest price increases that range from 1.9 to 2.7 times above the 9.9 percent average for all vehicles.
New Cars Priced the Highest Over MSRP - iSeeCars

Rank
Vehicle
% Above MSRP
$ Above MSRP
Jeep Wrangler
26.7%
$8,925
Ford Maverick (Hybrid)
25.0%
$5,601
Porsche Macan
23.3%
$13,254
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
22.9%
$9,534
Jeep Gladiator
22.5%
$9,824
Ford Maverick
22.2%
$5,368
Lexus RX 450h
21.0%
$10,365
Ford Bronco
20.6%
$7,783
Genesis GV70
20.0%
$8,611
Mercedes-Benz GLB
19.8%
$7,992
Chevrolet Corvette
19.3%
$15,218
Ford Mustang
19.1%
$6,941
MINI Countryman
18.9%
$6,325
Lexus RX 350L
18.6%
$9,242
Mercedes-Benz GLA
18.6%
$7,142
Overall Average
9.9%
$3,753

Jeep Wrangler

The vehicle you'll pay the most for above MSRP right now is the Jeep Wrangler, which is priced 26.7 percent or $8,925 over MSRP. It’s joined by its four-door version, the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and its pickup variant, the Jeep Gladiator. Demand continues to exceed supply for these vehicles. iSeeCars also says the Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited are also among the cars that hold their value best due to their ruggedness and enthusiastic fan base.
Ford Maverick and Bronco

Both the Ford Maverick hybrid and its gasoline version appear on the list. Dealers stopped taking order for the new Maverick in January (they're expected to open back up this summer.) Ford's new Bronco also makes the list as it remains high in demand since its debut last year. iSeeCars says Ford's closed order books for it, for the rest of 2022.
Porsche Macan

The Porsche Macan, the brand's best-selling model, is third on the list with a 23.3 percent markup over its MSRP. It's also one of the priciest models in its class.
SUVs

Five additional luxury SUVs make the list:
Sports Cars

The Chevrolet Corvette and Ford Mustang are on the list as well. The new Corvette launched in 2020 and demand remains high for the first mid-engine model. The Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 special edition is Ford’s most powerful production car ever and iSeeCars says the popularity of the high-performance trim contributes to the model’s price increase.
MINI

Rounding out the list is the MINI Countryman subcompact SUV. iSeeCars says high gas prices have likely fueled its popularity.
For more on the study visit iSeeCars.com.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote