Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2022, 09:20 PM   #101
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
Danny, I noticed you have the Power Stroke 6.4.
I have heard some bad stuff about them having some issues as Ford was trying to build their own inhouse motor.

I know the whoa of the 6.0's, its well documented.

Supposedly the 6.7 they hit their stride.

Can you lend me any insight about your truck, did you have to address any issues to get it where you wanted, et?

I just got so spooked looking for my truck, years ago, never having had a diesel I bought the 6.2 gasser, instead.

Thanks.
Sourdough (Danny) has a RAM 3500 with a 6.4L HEMI, not a Ford 6.4L DIESEL....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 04:50 AM   #102
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
Danny, I noticed you have the Power Stroke 6.4.
I have heard some bad stuff about them having some issues as Ford was trying to build their own inhouse motor.

I know the whoa of the 6.0's, its well documented.

Supposedly the 6.7 they hit their stride.

Can you lend me any insight about your truck, did you have to address any issues to get it where you wanted, et?

I just got so spooked looking for my truck, years ago, never having had a diesel I bought the 6.2 gasser, instead.

Thanks.

I have the Ram 6.4 gas engine. My needs, and likes, don't warrant a diesel. I don't buy Fords any longer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 05:28 AM   #103
Falcon67

I know a lot of diesel people, many that won't drive anything else. Our local track was a host for a yearly Texas diesel race which was a stinky affair, but a real spectacle LOL. All the diesel people I know lament the heck out of the low sulfur/DEF BS. Old 7.3 Fords bring a premium. If our 93 DRW F-350 had a 7.3 instead of a 7.5L gas I'd get twice as much for it. There's also no shortage of any fuel out here, and prices are kinda moderating. I still think diesel drivers are getting ripped on the prices, being $0.75~$1 higher. I'm sure part of that premium pricing has to do with the technical reason "because we can".

I'm pretty sure I got 47 MPG this morning in my fancy gas truck. For a minute. Drifting behind a school bus. At flight idle. Going downhill. That bar graph was way up there.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:36 AM   #104
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon67 View Post
I know a lot of diesel people, many that won't drive anything else. Our local track was a host for a yearly Texas diesel race which was a stinky affair, but a real spectacle LOL. All the diesel people I know lament the heck out of the low sulfur/DEF BS. Old 7.3 Fords bring a premium. If our 93 DRW F-350 had a 7.3 instead of a 7.5L gas I'd get twice as much for it. There's also no shortage of any fuel out here, and prices are kinda moderating. I still think diesel drivers are getting ripped on the prices, being $0.75~$1 higher. I'm sure part of that premium pricing has to do with the technical reason "because we can".

I'm pretty sure I got 47 MPG this morning in my fancy gas truck. For a minute. Drifting behind a school bus. At flight idle. Going downhill. That bar graph was way up there.

You probably ought to go ahead and get a Ram gas truck. I get 99 mpg all the time instrument cluster. Of course, I don't know how it happens but I still have to put $100+ fuel into it every few days; thought it would be less with that kind of mileage....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:45 AM   #105
rhagfo

Quote:

Well like Danny the old 2001 Ram would show 99 mpg going down hill. I know in many areas the difference between gas and diesel is always near a dollar. Here in Oregon the difference varies sometime a few cents cheaper, other times maybe fifty cents more.
I will tell you cost of operation for your 7.3 at 6.5 mpg and our Ram as low as 10 mpg at a dollar difference between gas and diesel is about eleven cents per mile, the diesel costing less!
I understand many worry about the cost of repairs and maintenance, but to me the ease and comfort of pulling with a diesel is just relaxing.
I also understand that being a racer you are far more comfortable with gas and the operation of a gas engine.
Enjoy your new ride, it is a nice looking truck!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:16 AM   #106
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
... There's also no shortage of any fuel out here, and prices are kinda moderating. I still think diesel drivers are getting ripped on the prices, being $0.75~$1 higher. I'm sure part of that premium pricing has to do with the technical reason "because we can"...

Some things to consider:

Diesel has 147,000 BTU/gallon
Regular gas has 125,000 BTU/gallon

That's roughly 14.9% more "energy in a gallon of diesel.

Internal combustion engines operate on heat. BTU's is a measure of heat.

Assuming (I know) that the "towing resistance/rolling resistance of the vehicle and trailer remain constant" (same truck just gas or diesel and same trailer, same road, same weather conditions) then the diesel will achieve about a 14.9% advantage in performance using the same amount of "gallons of energy".

Essentially, that gets reflected as "I get 8 MPG with my gas truck" and "I get 9.5 MPG with my diesel truck" in posts that we get on the forum. Typically, we see even greater MPG figures, but this example should show a part of the improved performance when comparing diesel and gas...

Then, the Federal tax on diesel is 6 cents more than gasoline and most states have increased tax on diesel. So, the "pump price for diesel, even if the wholesale price is the same, will be higher because of the taxes imposed by state and federal governments.

There's a bucketload of things to consider when looking at economy or price per gallon, and it's not always easy to sort through all the factors.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:33 AM   #107
wiredgeorge

Quote:

Since this discussion has wandered a little, my BIL's jeep with a little turbo engine has one of those gas mileage displays and it goes from 2 mpg to about 102 mpg in seconds. I thought it was kinda funny.,

BTW: The 6.4L Ford diesel ain't that bad if you fix the things Ford didn't get right. The nice thing about the 6.4L is that the rep is sooooo bad you can get one for a song. I have a 6.0L and mine is pretty darn reliable now that I have put a little money into it and bought the truck for $7K. It is/was a work truck and has vinyl floor instead of carpet but serves my needs and I have to tell you, a bench seat is really comfy and I have black fuzzy dice hanging from my mirror. Ya'll go spend $100K to buy a truck to drag your $100K camper and enjoy camping! I spent $7K for my TV plus $5K for my OLD Cougar and haven't had a single serious issue. I think I will keep my rig and avoid mortgaging my future for new stuff. Geesh gas vs diesel? How original.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:39 AM   #108
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well assumed the poster of that statement was talking legal speed and interstate grades.

Your towing a 9,000# TT behind you, it shouldn’t hinder you 6.4 too badly.
Our old 2001 Ram 2500 CTD with 3.55’s towing our current 5er was 21,000# combined. That I knew was back there, I could hold speed on most hills.
No, I am not climbing 10% grades T 90 mph.
Just a note: I didn’t address the " idleing up grades below 2k rpm " as my truck doesn’t have a 10 speed tranny. With that said, a 10 speed simply gives more gears for the tranny to downshift to in order for the engine to stay in the powerband. It doesn’t change physics or the amount of "work" reqtuired to reach the crest of a hill. Common sense and experience tells me that these claims aren't accurate.

When words like any, absolutes like always or never. When someone uses absolute terms I tend to re-read the text (often several times) to try to understand their context. Is there a qualifer such as "While driving the interstates, or ion interstate highways, etc." Was the person talking in generalities and interjected an absolute? Was the person using absolutes out of anger or boasting? I didn't see any anger in the post and didn’t see a "mix of terms" being used either.

If the OP meant other than what he posted perhaps he or she can clarify or challenge my assesment. I didn't "assume" the content said one thing while meaning something else. The post could have easily been interpreted as a funny, sarcastic response to another post but I couldn't find any previous conversation to make that work. Without quoting, without an emoji we only have the content of the words to interpet.

If I were setting around the campfire and someone made that statement then I would challenge it. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:00 AM   #109
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Some things to consider:

Diesel has 147,000 BTU/gallon
Regular gas has 125,000 BTU/gallon

That's roughly 14.9% more "energy in a gallon of diesel.

Internal combustion engines operate on heat. BTU's is a measure of heat.

Assuming (I know) that the "towing resistance/rolling resistance of the vehicle and trailer remain constant" (same truck just gas or diesel and same trailer, same road, same weather conditions) then the diesel will achieve about a 14.9% advantage in performance using the same amount of "gallons of energy".

Essentially, that gets reflected as "I get 8 MPG with my gas truck" and "I get 9.5 MPG with my diesel truck" in posts that we get on the forum. Typically, we see even greater MPG figures, but this example should show a part of the improved performance when comparing diesel and gas...

Then, the Federal tax on diesel is 6 cents more than gasoline and most states have increased tax on diesel. So, the "pump price for diesel, even if the wholesale price is the same, will be higher because of the taxes imposed by state and federal governments.

There's a bucketload of things to consider when looking at economy or price per gallon, and it's not always easy to sort through all the factors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Since this discussion has wandered a little, my BIL's jeep with a little turbo engine has one of those gas mileage displays and it goes from 2 mpg to about 102 mpg in seconds. I thought it was kinda funny.,

BTW: The 6.4L Ford diesel ain't that bad if you fix the things Ford didn't get right. The nice thing about the 6.4L is that the rep is sooooo bad you can get one for a song. I have a 6.0L and mine is pretty darn reliable now that I have put a little money into it and bought the truck for $7K. It is/was a work truck and has vinyl floor instead of carpet but serves my needs and I have to tell you, a bench seat is really comfy and I have black fuzzy dice hanging from my mirror. Ya'll go spend $100K to buy a truck to drag your $100K camper and enjoy camping! I spent $7K for my TV plus $5K for my OLD Cougar and haven't had a single serious issue. I think I will keep my rig and avoid mortgaging my future for new stuff. Geesh gas vs diesel? How original.
George you're preaching to choir here. Got the current truck for well below book. The truck was about 18 months old and the selling dealer sold it originally, had all the service records and history. The truck is a super cab not crew cab, and no leather or fancy stull. It's not stripped, it has power seats, mirrors,cruise, windows, locks, lights, etc. but it wasn't "glamped up" which is what most customers demand.

The truck is used as a tow vehichle. We don't full time and most of our tips are about 150 to 200 miles either in totallity or per leg so no 8 or 10 hr drives for us. The truck works for us and I could care less what anyone else thinks. If we want comfort we take the F150 King Ranch. The KR is a 2009 and everyone that sees either truck cant beleive their age. Anyway, this has been my modus operandi and it's worked for us.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:14 AM   #110
adeakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
I posted this question on a different forum. I got lots of great comments and advise. But, I didn't receive any responses from people who actually use this combination. And maybe, there's not too many who do. I'm sure I titled my post wrong.

I'm wanting to order our new TV. Our future upgraded 5er will max out between 15k -16,350 lbs, but that's not till the new truck is here.

We plan to full-time for about 4 years, then we would switch to being longtimers. I'm looking at the Ford CCLB, probably a dually, with the 7.3l gas motor and 4:30 axle ratio. Ideally, we will travel, and bed down for 1 to 2 weeks, rinse and repeat. I'm just looking for full timers who are using this engine right now to give their thoughts on it. Good and bad. I'm really hoping to find out about mountain grades, fuel range and your driving experience. Most of all, was it a good decision, or do you regret it?
I received lots of good info from the other post for going diesel, just looking at the other side of the coin.

Thanks and happy trails to all!
Thought I responded to this earlier but can’t find that response here. There are apparently several threads regarding 7.3 performance going on and I’m multi-tasking so I apologize if I am repeating myself. Anyway, I have a 2020 F350 7.3L gas DRW, 4.3axle, long-bed, crew cab with the Ford towing package. This configuration is rated for 20,100 towed weight / 28,000 total weight. I pull 16,000 which is roughly within the 80% guideline. I’ve been using this combo for the past almost two years. We are full time RV’ers. I’ve pulled this rig on both sides of the Mississippi from sea-level to 8,000 feet (Flagstaff,AZ). My previous rig was a 1999 7.3 turbo diesel pulling 13,800 lbs. 5’er. The 7.3 gas performs well. Any problems I’ve had with it are more related to build quality than anything to do with capabilities. Yes, gas mileage can dive to low single digits, but, generally, I get around 8 mpg towing and 14.2 detached. Having the 48 gal tank typically means I can tow the trailer 300 miles without refueling. I try not to tow more than 250 miles a day. Western states driving offers some additional challenges. For one, I have to be careful with the octane levels served up at most stations out west. I frequently have to buy mid-grade to stay within the octane requirements Ford sets out. I’ve never had to go to premium. Hope this helps.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:44 AM   #111
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
George you're preaching to choir here. Got the current truck for well below book. The truck was about 18 months old and the selling dealer sold it originally, had all the service records and history. The truck is a super cab not crew cab, and no leather or fancy stull. It's not stripped, it has power seats, mirrors,cruise, windows, locks, lights, etc. but it wasn't "glamped up" which is what most customers demand.

The truck is used as a tow vehichle. We don't full time and most of our tips are about 150 to 200 miles either in totallity or per leg so no 8 or 10 hr drives for us. The truck works for us and I could care less what anyone else thinks. If we want comfort we take the F150 King Ranch. The KR is a 2009 and everyone that sees either truck cant beleive their age. Anyway, this has been my modus operandi and it's worked for us.
When forced to travel via cage, we take the missus 2003 Crown Victoria. We bought it a few years ago from a gal whose mother had passed away from a stroke. When we bought the car, it had 32000 miles on it (about 4 years ago). It now has 75K miles and runs great. Only problem I have had with it was the strut that keeps the hood up when open. I was adjusting the lights and the hood hit me in the head and knocked me out for a little bit. Luckily no one was around to see me laying in the driveway and I seem to have a very hard head; no damage to the hood through! The car rides like a dream and has a massive trunk and gets a shade over 20 mpg on regular gas with good pick up. It is my wife's 4th Crown Vic.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:03 AM   #112
flybouy
Site Team

[QUOTE=wiredgeorge;492010]When forced to travel via cage, we take the missus 2003 Crown Victoria. We bought it a few years ago from a gal whose mother had passed away from a stroke. When we bought the car, it had 32000 miles on it (about 4 years ago). It now has 75K miles and runs great. Only problem I have had with it was the strut that keeps the hood up when open. I was adjusting the lights and the hood hit me in the head and knocked me out for a little bit. Luckily no one was around to see me laying in the driveway and I seem to have a very hard head; no damage to the hood through! The car rides like a dream and has a massive trunk and gets a shade over 20 mpg on regular gas with good pick up. It is my wife's 4th Crown Vic.[/Q

Hard to beat a Crown Vic. Tens of thousands of them still in service with police and taxi companies. One of the best cars we ever owned was a 1985 Pontiac Parisian. That thing would run down the highway @80 mph and it feel like setting in the living room. Smooth, quiet and got around 20 mpg on flat ground when I couls keep it under 70 mph. I got more than one speeding ticket because I didn't realize how fast I was driving.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:54 PM   #113
wiredgeorge

[QUOTE=flybouy;492026]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
When forced to travel via cage, we take the missus 2003 Crown Victoria. We bought it a few years ago from a gal whose mother had passed away from a stroke. When we bought the car, it had 32000 miles on it (about 4 years ago). It now has 75K miles and runs great. Only problem I have had with it was the strut that keeps the hood up when open. I was adjusting the lights and the hood hit me in the head and knocked me out for a little bit. Luckily no one was around to see me laying in the driveway and I seem to have a very hard head; no damage to the hood through! The car rides like a dream and has a massive trunk and gets a shade over 20 mpg on regular gas with good pick up. It is my wife's 4th Crown Vic.[/Q

Hard to beat a Crown Vic. Tens of thousands of them still in service with police and taxi companies. One of the best cars we ever owned was a 1985 Pontiac Parisian. That thing would run down the highway @80 mph and it feel like setting in the living room. Smooth, quiet and got around 20 mpg on flat ground when I couls keep it under 70 mph. I got more than one speeding ticket because I didn't realize how fast I was driving.
We had a 1985 Caprice Classic tudor w/V8, auto and A/C; white with blue interior and it was a wonderful car. I rode one of my motorcycles to work (lived in MD at the time) and when it was really nasty weather, I had a very old VW bug. It was a $300 car as I recall but it ran OK except heater/defrost (to speak of). Since the heater came off the exhaust as I recall, fumes would stink up the car so the heat/defrost was of little use. It had been brush painted dark blue. I bought a case of yellow Krylon to try and make it look less terrible and that was a mistake. Never needed to lock the car as there was little chance of theft.
Old 03-25-2022, 06:03 AM   #114
rhagfo

Quote:
Just a note: I didn’t address the " idleing up grades below 2k rpm " as my truck doesn’t have a 10 speed tranny. With that said, a 10 speed simply gives more gears for the tranny to downshift to in order for the engine to stay in the powerband. It doesn’t change physics or the amount of "work" reqtuired to reach the crest of a hill. Common sense and experience tells me that these claims aren't accurate.

When words like any, absolutes like always or never. When someone uses absolute terms I tend to re-read the text (often several times) to try to understand their context. Is there a qualifer such as "While driving the interstates, or ion interstate highways, etc." Was the person talking in generalities and interjected an absolute? Was the person using absolutes out of anger or boasting? I didn't see any anger in the post and didn’t see a "mix of terms" being used either.

If the OP meant other than what he posted perhaps he or she can clarify or challenge my assesment. I didn't "assume" the content said one thing while meaning something else. The post could have easily been interpreted as a funny, sarcastic response to another post but I couldn't find any previous conversation to make that work. Without quoting, without an emoji we only have the content of the words to interpet.

If I were setting around the campfire and someone made that statement then I would challenge it. JMHO
Marshall, just how hard does your 6.4 have to work to pull your 9,000# TT?
Just some numbers, your 6.4 has 350 HP at 3,000 rpm, and 650 ft.-lb. of torque at 2,000 rpm.

Our 2016 Cummins has 385 HP 2,800 rpm and 900 lb.-ft. of torque at 1,700 rpm. We also have 3.73 rear gear with the Aisin six speed. I don't know your rear gear.

So we have about 10% more HP, and 38% more torque. maybe that is enough to make it feel like the 5er now weighs far less then it did with the the 2001 Ram 2500 CTD 5.9.

All I can say is the impression on first tow was, WOW! When I set the transmission so I can see what gear we are in, even in hills we drop to 5th and sometimes 4th. With the 2001 and 5 speed manual, I would drop to 4th for most hills, unless I got slowed to 50, I hated to drop to 3rd as the jump from 3rd to 4th was huge!
New diesels are now sporting numbers are crazy the Ram 6.7 for 2021 and 2022 show 420 hp at 2,800 rpm and 1,075 lb.-ft. of torque, I believe the 6.7 Ford is even higher.
That is 20% more HP and 65% more torque than your 6.4. That is also 9% more HP and 19% more torque than our 2016, the POWER WARS continue.

I believe this is why we see more people being mislead by the infamous "TOW RATING"!
Our yellow sticker has a 5,411# Payload, and running the VIN on Ram's site has a 25,225# tow rating, which is about half of what I am pulling.
Old 03-25-2022, 06:32 AM   #115
bsmith0404

Quote:
Just some numbers, your 6.4 has 350 HP at 3,000 rpm, and 650 ft.-lb. of torque at 2,000 rpm.

Our 2016 Cummins has 385 HP 2,800 rpm and 900 lb.-ft. of torque at 1,700 rpm. We also have 3.73 rear gear with the Aisin six speed. I don't know your rear gear.

So we have about 10% more HP, and 38% more torque. maybe that is enough to make it feel like the 5er now weighs far less then it did with the the 2001 Ram 2500 CTD 5.9.

All I can say is the impression on first tow was, WOW! When I set the transmission so I can see what gear we are in, even in hills we drop to 5th and sometimes 4th. With the 2001 and 5 speed manual, I would drop to 4th for most hills, unless I got slowed to 50, I hated to drop to 3rd as the jump from 3rd to 4th was huge!
New diesels are now sporting numbers are crazy the Ram 6.7 for 2021 and 2022 show 420 hp at 2,800 rpm and 1,075 lb.-ft. of torque, I believe the 6.7 Ford is even higher.
That is 20% more HP and 65% more torque than your 6.4. That is also 9% more HP and 19% more torque than our 2016, the POWER WARS continue.

I believe this is why we see more people being mislead by the infamous "TOW RATING"!
Our yellow sticker has a 5,411# Payload, and running the VIN on Ram's site has a 25,225# tow rating, which is about half of what I am pulling.
The new ones are insane on power which makes more differences than just towing. My 2011 Duramax LML was a great truck and I put a lot of miles on it transporting, but it’s night and day different from my 2019 L5P. Obviously once you’re rolling, it doesn’t really matter much until you hit grades, but just starting out from a stop I immediately noticed the difference. The LML I could hear the truck working to get everything moving, the L5P sounds the same loaded or empty. I’m sure there’s a point where a difference would be notified, but not with the loads I’m towing. My towing fuel mileage has increased 1-2 MPGs over the LML with my trailer from 10 to 11.5. I recently towed a small Bullet Premier and got 16, the LML never saw numbers over 13 when I transported. The empty fuel mileage has jumped significantly. The LML used to get around 18 empty as long as I kept it under 70, over 70 would drop to 15. The L5P gets 24 under 70 and drops to 20 over 70. 5 MPGs difference is enough to make it more of a daily driver or best choice for a trip when the other option is the wife’s Jeep which doesn’t pass a gas station. I still have the 6 speed Allison. I’m not sure what difference the 10 speed would make, I have trouble believing it would impact it much with the loads I’m towing since the torque numbers are so high with the new motors. I think the 10 speed would really see the most benefits when you jump up closer to the max tow numbers since it can take smaller steps and keep the RPMs closer to the max torque band.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:40 AM   #116
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Good grief, this isn't about my truck. It tows very well, no complaints but has NOTHING TO DO with my assesmant. If common sense offends you and I've rendered my opinion. I don't need the stats on my truck or someone else's. I'm done with this conversation but feel free to continue with doing whatever it is you're trying to accomplish.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:18 PM   #117
rhagfo

Quote:
Good grief, this isn't about my truck. It tows very well, no complaints but has NOTHING TO DO with my assesmant. If common sense offends you and I've rendered my opinion. I don't need the stats on my truck or someone else's. I'm done with this conversation but feel free to continue with doing whatever it is you're trying to accomplish.
No it isn’t about your truck or my truck. It is a about the insane power that these trucks make nowadays!
Our 2001 Ram stock was 235 up and 410 lb.-ft of torque, I added a small chip and RV275 injectors so in the end making about 300 hp and 550 lb.-ft. Of torque. The 2016 has 385 hp and 900 lb.-ft. of torque. That is 28% more up and 64% more torque.
Compared to a 2021 or 2022 420 hp and 1,075 lb.-ft. Of torque, in comparison to the “chipped” 2001, that is 40% more hp, and 95% more torque, that is why first impressions are it isn’t back there!!
Old 03-25-2022, 05:22 PM   #118
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
No it isn’t about your truck or my truck. It is a about the insane power that these trucks make nowadays!
Our 2001 Ram stock was 235 up and 410 lb.-ft of torque, I added a small chip and RV275 injectors so in the end making about 300 hp and 550 lb.-ft. Of torque. The 2016 has 385 hp and 900 lb.-ft. of torque. That is 28% more up and 64% more torque.
Compared to a 2021 or 2022 420 hp and 1,075 lb.-ft. Of torque, in comparison to the “chipped” 2001, that is 40% more hp, and 95% more torque, that is why first impressions are it isn’t back there!!
Re-read my post #108. I'm in no way disputing the power and prowess of current truck. However, unless they come with an anti-gravity device the laws of physics and gravity still apply. Call it a tall tale, call it writers embellishment call it whatever blows your skirt up but claims like that just aren't reality in my experience.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:53 AM   #119
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcondan95705 View Post
We Pull a 13000 lb Montana... We use a Ram 3500 with 4"10S and aisin trans. We pull any grade with the cruise on at any speed we want... its really something..No downshifting... It nearly idles up the mountain and 2000 rpms..
Quote:
Hold my beer while I go get my hip waders.
Quote:
Re-read my post #108. I'm in no way disputing the power and prowess of current truck. However, unless they come with an anti-gravity device the laws of physics and gravity still apply. Call it a tall tale, call it writers embellishment call it whatever blows your skirt up but claims like that just aren't reality in my experience.
Well there might be a bit of embellishment in Falcondan's post, but keep in mind he is pulling a 13K 5er with a TV with a tow rating over 30K lb.
We are pulling about the same weight with 3.73's, we have a 25,225% towing capacity or using about 52% of capacity.

Seriously, Falcondan likely has that feeling, if you were to tow your rig with one of these new diesels you may feel the same way.

The tow guide for our 2001 Ram with 5.9, 5 speed manual, and 3.55's had a max GCWR of 16,000# and a max trailer weight of 9,400#. We had a GCW of about 20,500# and a trailer pushing 13,000#. We had RV275 injectors and a small chip, but likely less than 300 HP and 550 ft. lb. of torque.

So total difference of night and day!
Old 04-07-2022, 05:32 AM   #120
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Well there might be a bit of embellishment in Falcondan's post, but keep in mind he is pulling a 13K 5er with a TV with a tow rating over 30K lb.
We are pulling about the same weight with 3.73's, we have a 25,225% towing capacity or using about 52% of capacity.

Seriously, Falcondan likely has that feeling, if you were to tow your rig with one of these new diesels you may feel the same way.

The tow guide for our 2001 Ram with 5.9, 5 speed manual, and 3.55's had a max GCWR of 16,000# and a max trailer weight of 9,400#. We had a GCW of about 20,500# and a trailer pushing 13,000#. We had RV275 injectors and a small chip, but likely less than 300 HP and 550 ft. lb. of torque.

So total difference of night and day!
I don’t understand why you are hell bent on arguing points that I completly agree with. This is the last time I'll respond to this thread as I don't know how I make it any clearer that my comments were and are about the absolutes. This adds no new information or value to the discussion. It appears to me that you are now trolling for some other response.

You've made your point, several times, and I've responded several times. I think it's time to let it rest.

Tags
gas, tow, towing